DnB Not enough 2 hour sets

bongobongo

I know a couple of top headliners will mainly only do 2 hour sets and are pushing 3 hours every now and then (friction + andy c) . And thankfully shogun have a night coming where everyone is doing a 2 hour set.

But does anyone else feel there's not enough other Djs doing 2 hour sets? I find it more of an experience to go on a 2 hour journey with highs and lows and is a lot more interesting and you get to see a lot more experimentation and different stuff from the dj where as 1 hour it's bit more of a mash up then the next guy is on seems more of a rush job
Example the next critical at fabric theres 7 of them on the line up so means no one is doing a 2 hour set?

And I've seen calyx and teebee once do a seriously good 2 hour set and I've seen them do a 1 hour set twice and it's been just sort of wham bang cya later very underwhelming,

Anyone else feel the same? I wanna see more of who I'm going to see?

Last edited:
i agree with you, depending on the style of night. For the long 10-6am nights i like a slightly longer set, maybe one 2 hour set from the main act or something. with the smaller nighst that end at 3 i like a bit of variation!

I agree, although we soon have the pleasure of a 4 hour Andy C set at WHP.

Would love to see the likes of Goldie, D Bridge, Remarc or many other artists do a 3 or 4 hour set

Yea I know the likes of andy c and friction can say I'm doing a 3 hour set tonight take it or leave it but I don't know what's going on with the other artists is it the promoters telling them you have 1 hour or 0 hours or what? I've been frustrated that not enough other artists get 2 hour sets to show off what there about alot but finally posted here as A) calyx and tee bee 1 hour sets are annoying me when i know there 2 hour ones are killerand B ) critical at fabric line up in a few weeks has also frustrated me 7x1 hour sets doesn't do he fans or artists justice

Example the next critical at fabric theres 7 of them on the line up so means no one is doing a 2 hour set?

Sometimes some rooms start later / finish earlier than other rooms, but I'm sure that isn't the case with Critical nights.

Occasionally I do like to hear a longer set from a dj, but very rarely. Standard set time is usually an hour for most top dj's so I would prefer them to play an hour. After an hour, its nice to hear what someone else would play. Been to a few Playaz nights at Fabric and after an hour of Hype I've had enough and need to go to one of the other rooms.

Sometimes some rooms start later / finish earlier than other rooms, but I'm sure that isn't the case with Critical nights.

Occasionally I do like to hear a longer set from a dj, but very rarely. Standard set time is usually an hour for most top dj's so I would prefer them to play an hour. After an hour, its nice to hear what someone else would play. Been to a few Playaz nights at Fabric and after an hour of Hype I've had enough and need to go to one of the other rooms.

Well there's 7 artists on the line up and fabric is open 11-6 so there's the math. Understand your point re hype hes jump up go go go but a lot of up artists and Djs need more than an hour to get here vibe and point across.

Actually made a mistake it's open till 7am for critical maybe someone is doing a 2 hour set a Or 90 mins after all lol

Last edited:
We have been pushing longer sets for time now. Last time it was all 90mins from D Bridge, Calyx + Teebee, Kasra B2B Enei and Total Science.

Next week we have 2 hours from Nu:Logic, 90 mins from Alix Perez and another 90 min set from Icicle. Check it out here:https://www.facebook.com/events/240133836111612/?fref=ts

Yea! I was at your last night where everyone did 90 min at crucifix lane that's exactly the stuff I'm talking about!

Last edited:
Depends on the night and who's playing.,.....i mean who wants to hear 2hours of dj sly

^^ this is a good point.

depends on the type of night it is, but there are certain artists who wouldn't be able to take you on any sort of journey (at least not one i would enjoy) and are better off sticking to 1 hour sets

Yea yea course I get that I'm aiming this at the artists I feel can take you on a journey and and being short sold into one hour sets.

dBridge's 5 hour set last summer at Fabric has to be one of the best nights of my life. Listening back to the mp3 of that set, you can break it all down into chapters. He goes through a journey of some deep soulful liquid, then goes through a lot of instra:mental and other autonomic before going into heavier stuff and eventually into some old gems...and then he finishes off with a bit of house/techno.

It's all about the 90 minute or more sets.

i dunno...

pretty much every night i've been to there's at least one DJ who's playing shit i'm not all that into, so it would suck to walk around/dance awkwardly/chain smoke for 2 hours until there's someone playing stuff i wanna hear

but yes, 2 hours from DJ's i like would be very nice indeed, gives them more room to dig deeper

totally agree that it depends on the DJ. if it's someone who you know
a) has a varied enough style that they won't be playing exactly the same kind of stuff the whole time, and
b) is a good enough DJ that they will understand how to make it flow for the whole 2+ hours
then i would love to hear longer sets from them. as stated earlier i'd happily listen to a 5 hour set from dbridge, though I can't think of many other dnb djs i can say the same about..

2 hours is pretty much the shortest DJ set you would ever see at a house/techno night in berlin though, and it's really not uncommon for sets to be as long as 10 hours (average is probably somewhere around 3)

Exactly it's all about the story telling etc! Obviously reliant on the dj being good I thought that was a given and didn't need emphasising upon.

Ps shame idiosyphonic are calling it a day met loads of cool people at them nights allways a great vibe and some smashing sets, now one less promoter wanting to so 90 min sets ha. Best of luck to u.

Last edited:
It seems to me 2 HR sets are more prevalent in the states than the UK due to smaller venues and booking less headliners, never been to the UK though.

I guess economics would suggest the more names you can fit on a flyer the more ppl you can get through the door not enough people interested in the bigger picture maybe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom