Drum & Bass Not Another Newbie Topic!!!

Discussion in 'Production' started by Recon DNB, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Recon DNB

Recon DNB New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Hey everyone,

As you may have magically guessed I am interested in making DnB, in the past I have always tried but failed but now I am giving it a good shot and trying not to give up (yn)

Bit about myself, I listen to the full 360 of DnB and the whole scene is what influences me.

Now to production, at the moment I am using a lot of different samples with DnB loops I try to construct myself. I am slightly pleased with bass and it is not my major concern for the time being.

My problem is Pads, atmosphere, melody; for so long I have followed tutorials but on my own I cannot get my head around it o_O

I am looking to create a track like the ones you see on liquicity firstly but I do want to make various sub genres however I believe you cannot just imitate someone or a style, you need to find your own sound, your unique selling point some may say. Maybe what I am aiming for is just not for me.

At the moment I havent really EQ'd much but I do understand the importance of it.

Here is my soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/recondnb

All I have on it is little samplers, not a full track yet.

What I really want to do is with the sample titled WIP is with your advice, I can develop it fully and give it away for free.

Please help me, Im studying accountancy and do not want a desk job my whole life :(

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. iamjoey

iamjoey Active Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Hard to understand what you're asking for here. are you asking for help on coming up with pads, atmosphere, melody etc? Or more along the lines of how to process them etc?

One thing I would say right away is the importance of variation.. I mean it's a short clip and I got bored of the sound very fast. Add some variation on the notes being played every few bars, even if it's just a single note from the pattern in the last bar, something like that. Stuff like that just helps to keep the listener's attention.

As for coming up with your own pads.. there are shit loads of tutorials on the internet. there might not be many depending on the synth you're using but a lot of the time you can still apply the basic principles of what you're seeing; what wave shapes are used, what effects are processed on it, etc.

Also there are always different ways of going about pads.. maybe using some audio stems off sites like freesound.org or something.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012