Normalising volume

Vinyls aren't all at the same volume and neither are cds.
I use mp3gain to put all my mp3s at 95db which is a pretty decent volume and still avoids clipping. Just use your ear/levels on your mixer to match the rest of your vinyls and cds. I usually write 'lo gain' or 'hi gain' on some tracks to remind me to adjust the gain if the track is particularly loud or quiet.

Even if mp3 gain puts all your tunes at 95db some will still be louder quieter generally new>old. All down to compression and percieved loudness and the lack of dynamics in modern mixdowns; if you look at the waveform in soundforge or something modern tunes will be almost a block of sound after the drop where as a '94 jungle tune you will see the drums as spike.

Guess it doesn't matter much if all your tunes are from the last few years. Still the program would level the playing field somewhat. No good to me i'm all vinyl (slowly dropping a tune in here and there with ableton as my 3rd deck).

Even if mp3 gain puts all your tunes at 95db some will still be louder quieter generally new>old. All down to compression and percieved loudness and the lack of dynamics in modern mixdowns; if you look at the waveform in soundforge or something modern tunes will be almost a block of sound after the drop where as a '94 jungle tune you will see the drums as spike.

Guess it doesn't matter much if all your tunes are from the last few years. Still the program would level the playing field somewhat. No good to me i'm all vinyl (slowly dropping a tune in here and there with ableton as my 3rd deck).
Yeah that's why I was saying write hi/lo gain on the tracks because it won't make them perfect

Back
Top Bottom