Normal distortion v Filter distortion (Scream filtering?) Difference?

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
What's the difference between using a normal filter and distorting and a filter-with-embedded distortion?

Massive has a something called a scream filter which I've seen used a lot.

I'm too cheap to buy Massive, but in Synthmaster, for every filter there is optional distortion, with options to distort before, after and inside the filter. I'm guessing that inside the filter is the equivalent of Massive's scream filter, but why would you distort inside the filter instead of just adding distortion at the end?

Is it just some useless extra feature they put in cause it sounds impressive?

My understanding is that it adds mad harmonics when filtering, so with the right movement you can get some crazy sounds. If you just use a normal filter then ovi this goes and just becomes a filter, and normal distortion just distorts the whole sound.

Seems pretty obvious to me :/

What's the difference between using a normal filter and distorting and a filter-with-embedded distortion?

Massive has a something called a scream filter which I've seen used a lot.

I'm too cheap to buy Massive, but in Synthmaster, for every filter there is optional distortion, with options to distort before, after and inside the filter. I'm guessing that inside the filter is the equivalent of Massive's scream filter, but why would you distort inside the filter instead of just adding distortion at the end?

Is it just some useless extra feature they put in cause it sounds impressive?

Piggybacking off what Russla said, my guess is that adding distortion inside a filter would boost the harmonic depending upon the amount of distortion added. I would go easy on it though–depending upon factors such as the "taste" of the filter and the amount of resonance you've applied, too much distortion "inside" the filter may create a bit of a muddied mess. Since Synthmaster allows you to route the distortion to either pre, inside or post filter, perhaps try experimenting with the different placements to hear the intended results. If for no other reason than to learn something new about the cause/effect of your synth.

Massive's scream filter is a bread and butter filter that can a range from subtle filth/crunch to those squealing high-pitched noises those crazy dubstep kids love using nowadays. Used in conjuction with Phase OSC and some creative modulation (ex. phase osc via aftertouch), you can really develop some ridiculous movement within the sound you're creating, particularly leads.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the difference? I'll tell you: algorithms.

^ Nail on the head.

Back
Top Bottom