Nooob Cartridge/Stylus Question

simon_schoon

I've had the same stanton cartridge for years now but have never changed anything other than the stylus. I was just wondering if I buy two Shure M44-7's carts and stylus will these go straight on my Vestax headshell? Is so what would I have to do to swap it, and if any1 has used those needles what are they like?

Thanks for any help, Si

Vestax headshell as in this?

vstxhdshellGOLD.jpg

I would think so. My first pair of carts were Shures but they wern't the M44-7s. I was pretty happy with them though. I don't know what kind of budget your keeping but I would recommend Ortofons or Shure White labels. Love direct mount! Can't stand mounting that shit myself.

Last edited:
Thats the one, just looked at it and realised how to do it, just need a screwdriver, should be easy unless there is anything to know before attempting. I have heard a few bad reviews about the whitelabels having poor output then shops wont let you return them. Plus they're out of my budget but agreed direct mount is the way! Cheers dude

ez simon, i had those shure m44s for about a year and half and they are brilliant quality. just upgraded to concords but only had to replace due to not looking after them enuff. am pretty sure the headshell should be universal, u just need to 2 tiny screws to fix em on.
Safe

tbh mate if you've got the choice then go for the ortofon, didnt realise you was considering that, thats the exact one i changed to and ill never look back. Concordes all the way.

fixings should come with the carts i think.... if not, use the ones on the carts that you are removing

failing all that, you just need a couple of machine screws.... you can get them pretty cheap from somewhere like screwfix... i think they are M3 x 12mm, dont quote me on that though i could be wrong

should be the same with vestax, make sure you get it the correct distance, should play better and last longer.
TechnicsOverhangcolor1a.jpg

dont know if u have an overhang guage, but they are not essential if u can use a ruler
technics-overhang-gauge.jpg

also make sure ur tone arm heights, weights and anti skating are set up correctly too!

Back
Top Bottom