noobie!!

Boodha_Joodha

hello fellow ravers,

i acquired some belt drives about 2 months back, and tried my hand at mixing, so 2 months later i thought i knew what i was listening for ie the mix, but then i had a go on a friends 1210s and get told my mix was completely out:shrug::shrug:

let me explain a bit more,

what i was listening for was when a bar would start over on one tune, a bar on the other tune i would mix in would start,
i would just slow down//speed up on of the tunes until it sounded good,

clearly this is not the way accoridng to my freinds,

so my question is how to mix i.e what am i listening for???

anyhelp would be majorly accepted!

cheers
warm n eazy

You want to drop the first beat of the incoming track, on top of the first beat of the track you are mixing out....

but i don't really know what you mean........so umm....maybe just get two really basic tracks, and get your friend with the 1210s to explain the basics to you

right, basically, you're mixing by the snares. that's the beat that you nod your head to, the punchy sounding one. you drop that on the first snare of the bar and you're laughing. really though your mate should have been more help instead of just saying you're out. it's best if you can get a mate to show you or look at tutorials on youtube*

hello fellow ravers,

i acquired some belt drives about 2 months back, and tried my hand at mixing, so 2 months later i thought i knew what i was listening for ie the mix, but then i had a go on a friends 1210s and get told my mix was completely out:shrug::shrug:

what i was listening for was when a bar would start over on one tune, a bar on the other tune i would mix in would start,

cheers
warm n eazy

Right this is an explanation i gave to someone with a similar problem....

Heres the post.......

Hi,

I find it harder to mix heavier dnb like neurofunk/techstep etc.. because the drum patterns are completely different.
With most liquidfunk and stuff I listen to, you've got a simple amen break and you can use the (hi hat or snare? not sure which one it's called lol - it's in the hi's range) to tell if you're too fast or slow because it comes at the same time in each bar, but with heavier dnb it's all over the place.

What do you guys do? Just mix in the parts with no beat or what?
Oh, and when there's a dj set that is back to back, how does that work? Does 1 dj mix and 1 scratch, or both mix or what?

Thanks,
dnbman

the problem with what your doing is your listening out for one single sound out of a whole load of sounds...... remember every sound in the tune is rhythmic so they can all help you beat match....... but the sound that your trying to listen out for is a snare...... the snare can pretty much be put anywhere in a drum pattern..... as long as it has some sort of groove or rythem....... this obviously is not a good thing to listen out for....... in fact you shouldnt ever really try listen and beatmatch any 1 specific sound....... just feel the rythem of both the tracks your playing and get the rythem in time no the individual sounds....... this way you will never go wrong...... what also might be good for you is if you beat match the first beat of every bar you might find that a bit easier........ this does take a bit of practice...... as its not easy when you first start DJ'n...... this will only come with time and practice.

My advice for a starting point is try and listen for High Hats.... or Ride Cymbols..... these are, in most cases, always on every beat...... and give you a kinda metronome within the track...... if that makes sense??..... its basicly the one thing that all dnb tracks will definatly have in common...... a constant rythmic High Hat or Ride Cymbol.......

If you dont know what a High Hat or Ride Cymbol sounds like have a listen to these.....

Closed High Hat

Open High Hat .......

Normal Ride Cymbal Hit

Ride Cymbal Bell Hit (this is the sound of a ride cymbal when hit in the center. The bit that kinda bumps up in the middle of it)

Ride Cymbal Rim Hit

As you can see theres a few different type of each.... but they generally sound the same.

But like i said before...... you shouldnt ever really just listen out and beat match to one single sound....... but this is a good starting point when learning to mix.

As for back to back..... it can work in a alot of different ways mate. Most common is just the DJs playing 1 or 2 tracks each..... and alternating like that for the set.
But other than that back 2 back can be what ever your imagination can dream up...... in the end of the day its music...... theres a few basic rules to stick to but other than that its your creativity that makes the difference. Whether you want to set up 2 or 3 pairs of decks and one guy droppin in hooks from well known tunes while the other mixs and have someone else doing a handstand while scratching with his bottom lip...... like i said..... its what ever your creativity can come up with.......

Last edited:
hello fellow ravers,

cheers
warm n eazy

sorry i kinda mis read what you was trying to say...... what your problem is..... is that your not mixing in "sequence" or in "Phrase.... as some people put it"

DnB is made up of..... Beats.... Bars.... Sequence's...... 4beats = 1 bar...... 16bars = sequence......

What usually happens in dnb... after 8bars there will be a lsight change.... maybe a extra high hat.... or something being taken away.... but nothing major...... and then after another 8 bars there will be a major change..... maybe a new synth..... maybe switch the b-line up a bit etc......... so what this means..... every 16 bars..... a sequence is a major change and half way through it you may get a slight change........

How do i know when a "sequence" starts i hear you say!??......well........ the most obvious of "sequence" starts is on the drop..... the very first kick of the drop is the very first beat...... so therefor the start of the first sequence...... now..... go grab a record from your collection....... play it from the first breakdown..... or from just before the drop..... the count like this.... 1234 and do that 8 times...... did you hear any changes after you finished counting......??... just a slight one........??

now try again...... count 1234..... 16 times...... what did you hear after you finished counting.....??..... well thats the start of a new sequence........ something big should have changed in the tune......??......

Now im not saying that you have to turn yourself into a maniac DJ costantly muttering 1234 while your mixing..... but just get to know what the start of a "sequence" sounds like...... there often alot of clues to when the previous sequence is about to end..... usually 8 - 12 bars into the sequence a "build up" of some description will begin..... which will lead into the next new "sequence".

Hope this helps a little mate..... if theres any thing you need me to describe a bit better or anything you dont understand then let me know and ill try and make it a bit clearer.

thank you very much, thatll be a big help in knowing where to drop the track in!

would be possible if you could help me a bit more,
like i really dont know what "in" means. lol
could you specify for me??

this is my interpretation of what in means looool
laugh all you want lol
its only 1;12 minutes long!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1maczlz4g12

cheers
warm and easy

thank you very much, thatll be a big help in knowing where to drop the track in!

would be possible if you could help me a bit more,
like i really dont know what "in" means. lol
could you specify for me??

this is my interpretation of what in means looool
laugh all you want lol
its only 1;12 minutes long!
http://www.mediafire.com/?1maczlz4g12

cheers
warm and easy

In a word used to discribe the action of going Inside something.

you open the door..... you go in it..... hahaha

i dont know what you mean mate.... i cant download sorry..... at work at the min...... just describe to me what you think it means.....

loooool, i can know open doors for once(yn) loool

nah
ummmm....

where the bars on the two tunes repeat at the same time, llike a bar would play, then repeat, then repeat and so on, untill a little change and then keep repeating again untill the first drop, either at the little break or the first drop i would drop my other tune, i would wait for the bar on the tune i played first to end and repeat and then listen out for the second tunes bar to start at the exact same time as the first tunes bar,

if i could get the bars to start, repeat at the same time i would think its in, but when i tried on 1210 it didnt sound right and got told it was out.

soo after reading your first comment, i think i have to get the snares on the both songs to play at the same time,

Cheers
warmz n easy

loooool, i can know open doors for once(yn) loool

nah
ummmm....

where the bars on the two tunes repeat at the same time, llike a bar would play, then repeat, then repeat and so on, untill a little change and then keep repeating again untill the first drop, either at the little break or the first drop i would drop my other tune, i would wait for the bar on the tune i played first to end and repeat and then listen out for the second tunes bar to start at the exact same time as the first tunes bar,

if i could get the bars to start, repeat at the same time i would think its in, but when i tried on 1210 it didnt sound right and got told it was out.

soo after reading your first comment, i think i have to get the snares on the both songs to play at the same time,

Cheers
warmz n easy

aight.... ill get back to this in a bit.... just busy at work at the min

Right..... im not to sure what you mean to be honest.....

So......

How to mix a tune..... into another..... in a basicly described way.......

ok..... so.... ill give you two tunes...... that every junglists should have really...... Bad Company - The Nine into Bad Company - Planet Dust...... it doesnt HAVE to be these tunes..... im just using them as an example.... im using them as they are both really simple tracks to mix with and have a very obvious end of sequence.....

so..... play Planet Dust from the first breakdown...... when it drops.... start The Nine from its intro...... If my memory serves me right then its about 3 sequences before the first breakdown of The Nine.....sooo..... After you have started playing The Nine..... it should still only be playing in your headphones...... turn the bass down on the EQ (if you have that on your mixer... if not dont worry. Just follow the other steps) now.... slowly raise the fader or slide the X-fadder slowly towards the middle over about 8bars. (at the end of the 8Bars Planet Dust should do its synthy sorta shit.... after this is when the other deck should be at full volume and coming through the master output)

you should now have both Planet Dust and The Nine coming through your speakers..... hopefully by this point they will both be in time etc.....

Now you have about 2 sequences before the first breakdown of The Nine.... so just let the mix roll..... keep an eye on The Nine to see when its going to break down...... once you think its about to break down you have to options really....... either use your EQ's to bring Planet Dust out of the mix..... or....... just as The Nine breaks down you can stop Planet Dust manually...... and pull it back slightly to give it a better finishing effect......

There you go..... that will be you bringing "in" your first tune..... this is VERY basic...... master mixs like this.... just so you can get used to it......
when i first started i was forever mixing tunes into the breakdowns of others.... pretty boring to someone listening but in the end of the day your still learning...... so dont worry...... if someone says your shite..... so what..... you probably are..... get back home and practice some more.....

And with the.... it only does it when im using 1210's.... thats wrong..... decks make no difference to the actual mix..... they are tools so that YOU can do the mix...... they dont decide how the mix goes..... better decks will make it easier for you to do it...... as better decks have better torque and features so that you can create better mixs...... but in the end of the day YOU do mix....... if YOU fuk it up then its completely your fault...... just go back and practice again....... and again......and again......and again......and again......and again......and again......and again...... till you happy with it.....

Ive been doin this for nearly 10 years and still i can improve...... so if your fukin up loads now..... dont worry..... its normal..... just keep goin mate.....

thanks your so much help, i shall try and mix and hopefully upload my succesful mixes on here

anyways thanks for the feedback it is very usefull,

warm n eazy rocksteady

Back
Top Bottom