Noob...

hyperd4eva

H&M SCARVES
VIP Junglist
Hi All,

I am starting my adventure into getting into producing. I know there are a million and 1 different threads on these sort of things but there old so things may have changed! Im going to be getting tutoring in Logic.

So i wondered about the following..

Headphones - I currently have two really old shitty monitor speakers with an old JVC amp (1993) to be exact! These really are quite shite! so i thought until i get the basics and start getting places i may aswell use headphones until i can justify getting monitors. I have Sennies HD-25's which i use for dj'ing BUT they dont have a jack lead! just the big one that goes in the mixer. Are there any suggestions for a good CHEAP pair of headphones to get me started?

Monitors- Would you bother investing in them until you know that you are going to persue with production or have started getting to a good level?

Thanks!

I'd say get a pair 'o KRK monitors they don't cost that much really and even if you stop producing the sound quality is always worth investing in it for.

ps: Do not get monitors to become a better producer though you can easily become a better producer just with shitty monitors it's not like - buy awesome monitors > production skill +++

is it no good with headphones then? i literally cant afford anything else man! i just payed over a grand on a macbook! lol

is it no good with headphones then? i literally cant afford anything else man! i just payed over a grand on a macbook! lol

Besides the fact I discourage people to spend money on macbooks;
Ofcourse you can learn producing with headphones, you will only need some banging monitors if your really finetuning everything and mastering that shit, so if your ever going to go further with it it is absolutely advisable to get some decent monitors, and like I said even if you stop producing you will always enjoy the audio quality so its never a waste of money in my opinion.

Besides the fact I discourage people to spend money on macbooks;
Ofcourse you can learn producing with headphones, you will only need some banging monitors if your really finetuning everything and mastering that shit, so if your ever going to go further with it it is absolutely advisable to get some decent monitors, and like I said even if you stop producing you will always enjoy the audio quality so its never a waste of money in my opinion.

yeah i will get some eventually, will be good for mixing too. So does anyone else recomend any headphones?

beyer-dt770pro---1.jpg

very good cans imo..

First, let me start off by saying that Logic is a great DAW to use, since I started using it I can't imagine myself using anything else.

Now on to the gear you have, in my opinion, it's all about what you have available to you. Not so good equipment is better than having no equipment at all and as long as you are familiar with your headphones/monitors and know where their flaws are sonically you can go on using what you have available and have a possibility of becoming successful. Theres actually been quite a few interviews I've read where producers have said they only use (insert shitty speaker here) or produced mostly in headphones. Just get a good reference track, stereo analyzer, and check your tunes on lots of different speakers (car, ipod, laptop) and you should be fine.

Not sure what others will going to say but I think the headphones you have should be fine, personally though I like to find headphones that I can produce and dj with as I'm not made of money to buy a pair designed for each.

The one bit of kit I would recommend getting is an audio interface, as I find the sound cards they put in the MacBooks to be "meh", plus it will come in handy if you ever decide you want to record something plus it will allow you to use the big jack on your headphones.

Aside from that get whatever type of gear you want, various types of midi controllers, 3rd party plug ins, etc.

There are some great Logic tutorials on YouTube as well, the best guy to look up is SFLogicNinja, he knows a boatload about Logic and I've learned a lot from watching his videos. A bunch of us here on the forum use Logic as well and I'm sure would be happy to help you.

Production is fun! Welcome aboard!

maybe i aint read this right but you got a pair of headphones yeah?
Cant you just get a converter so it can plug in? 1/4 jack to mini jack or whatever?
would like cost £5 then you can start producing?
decent headphones are gonna cost (i dont know any good ones though m8 sorry).
just a thought man

yeah think thats what i will do then. just get a converter. would rather not pay out if i already have a decent pair to use!

i normally advise people not to spend out loads straight away when starting production
yes you need good gear - but not straight away.
See how you like producing - if you get the bug then start forking out dosh.
looking forward to hearing your choons m8ty :D

I totally agree with JimJimJim; I spent a good two years with free software before I started forking out for better gear. Getting a better understanding of how music works and finding out the best way for you that helps you build tracks just takes a bit of time. I'm hardly an expert but listening to stuff I used to make years ago I realise how far I've come.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing your stuff!

Cheers Guys! im quite lucky as i have Eleven8 off medschool helping me along the way so going to be making the most of that i think!

Haha, that's awesome man - a word of advice, don't try and copy him completely but try and learn some general techniques that you can use across the board, so you can forge your own sound and style.

Haha, that's awesome man - a word of advice, don't try and copy him completely but try and learn some general techniques that you can use across the board, so you can forge your own sound and style.

yeah definately. nice one

Save up and get yourself some budget monitors, Alesis M1 active mk2s are a good starting point as far as im concerned. A lot of people seem to like KRKs but personally i hate their sound.

Headphones are pretty marmite, i find it a waste of time going in too hard on headphones as it never translates as you want it to. Thats probably a fault my end though really.

yeah im gonna see how it goes mate, even if i just use the ones i have at the moment, i sort of know how they should sound (through mixing) so im hoping they might work

Back
Top Bottom