noob vinyl mixing question

jimjimjim

oldskool
VIP Junglist
hey there,
i just started mixing so this is a very nooby question:
when mixing vinyl do you just move the record (so it slips on the matt) or do you move the whole thing (platter?)?
If the whole thing moves is that bad for the decks?

ive got a stanton t62 direct drive deck.

cheers and sorry if thats a really lame question

if it doesnt slip very well should i get a different mat?
or are they all the same - ive got the default stanton one that came with it
cheers

if they are the rubber mats, u need to launch them and get some new ones.
avoid ebay, u can get some really bad fake ones.

I use the platter. Don't know, if it's bad for the technics 1210.
Are there more guys out there, wo directly use the platter?

how do you use the platter?
by using ur finger on the side of it like a brake? if so, yes its bad for it.

there must be some other way to slow the record down.

The way I learned was; when cueing the record, ideally your platter shouldnt slow down at all. You can tell this from the rpm light and the platter dots. If it does then you might need better slipmats (butter rugs come recommended) or you need to apply less pressure on the record.

For bringing the tune in sync i'll use the edge of the platter as a brake or apply pressure on the label of the vinyl and gently push the record and platter forward.

Ideally you shouldnt touch the platter at all for this and only use the pitch fader but sometimes its unrealistic if you need to save a mix quickly.

yes, like this (where the bumps are).
Okay, I will avoid this in the future.
I had sometimes the problem, that lighter records when I stop them need really much time to move faster again (slow-motion feeling), that's why I started to do this.
Maybe my slipmates are shit. Bought some ebay slipmats from technics.

Edit:

good to know, that this way isn't the best way. only did it for a week, after I got my technics finally.

Last edited:
If i slow down the record i use the metal bit that pops through the hole of the record. Pinch it slightly

I use the pitcher too.

Full of beer!!!!!

AYOOoooOOO!

- - - Updated - - -

If i slow down the record i use the metal bit that pops through the hole of the record. Pinch it slightly

I try this sometimes but it never seems to work exactly how I want it. Sometimes it seems to launch itself further forward after I slow it down. I've tried using different intensities etc...

I use the pitcher too.

Full of beer!!!!!

AYOOoooOOO!

- - - Updated - - -

I try this sometimes but it never seems to work exactly how I want it. Sometimes it seems to launch itself further forward after I slow it down. I've tried using different intensities etc...

Yeah u dont want too much on there or it will sound poo i always do it ever so slightly the. Adjust the pitch accordingly. There is no right or wrong way to mix in my opinion.

I had sometimes the problem, that lighter records when I stop them need really much time to move faster again (slow-motion feeling)

Thats a bowled record for you, sometimes there an absolute bitch to mix, one tiny touch and youre all over the place.

Yeah u dont want too much on there or it will sound poo i always do it ever so slightly the. Adjust the pitch accordingly. There is no right or wrong way to mix in my opinion.

Yeah I try not to touch the deck or platter unless the tune has been locked for ages, then I'll just lightly touch the vinyl. Very lightly.

Back
Top Bottom