noob question

Manny

hey guys ive been searching on the forums about jump up sounds for reason and i understand the concept but whenever i try to get a sound it will sound completely muddy or very poor. I don't know if theirs something im doing wrong or anything but if anybody could explain it would be nice

some examples are

and

on the last link how is the most basic way to get the higher pitched sound

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know what you mean by the "jump sound" but the higher pitched noise in the 2nd video is a bassline thats bit crushed and the notes are a bit higher than the lower bass-ier notes. There's also some EQing involved boosting the low and midrange frequencies.

It's prolly a duplicate synth of the main bassline with different effects [the above mentioned] and automation.

I think Scream is just distortion/overdrive right? I haven't used Reason in a while and i never got the hang of it but i forgot to mention distortion as well.

lowpass filter+distortion+bit crusher+maybe a phaser should get you the sound your looking for with enough experimentation. I don't think reason supports VST plugins, otherwise there's tons of free bit crusher plug ins... but yea, that really metallic sounding mid range squeal comes from low passing the bass with a good amount of resonance plus the EQing and all that other stuff, hope that kind of helps.

You could prolly make that sound with another program and record it to a WAV and use it in Reason's sampler if you can't find a bit crusher in Reason, but i'm sure there has to be one somewhere

i just wanna know for reason cause for christmas im getting logic and massive so ill be able to have vst's but i just wanna know for reason so i have some prior knowledge thanks though

There is a bit crusher in reason but there was a very good example of what you might need in one of the reason 2.5 demos done by chuck closer. There was i think something in subtractor like nitro bass or a thing like that, a couple of additive square and saw couple with a lp24, now we can also use thor for this purpose, it has two types of lp24 and it really roars. after that you have to create a classic distortion...i do not remember the name...turn the left knob to zero and turn the other to a bit more than what it is. Set your reso in this setup, with a low cutoff. I hope it works. oooh i remembered it was called foldback distortion i think. Find the chuck closer demo on reaso 2.5 or from somewhere in the net you'll find perfect things in that song.

its all about splitting up the bass up over different layers so you dont over distort certain parts of the sound, example split into thee channels bass mid and treb, use the spider splitter i think its called, overdrive the bass layer but dont over distort it otherwise u loose the body and feel, apply things like chorus as a send on this layer to or automated filtersu tend etc to create movment mainly use lp in the bass part, in the midrange make nice and crunchy over distort and always apply eq after to shape the distortion this reduces the muddy effect and with this two layers alone u then have the body of bass not muddy and the midrange is free to create the extra harmonics, the treble layer is where you apply phasers unison and filters on bp mode to make a sweeping/ moving effect, but all this is personal taste but its a must to split frequencies up so u have more control, and when you find the part of teh sound u like eq that area so u can make it more dominant and shaped in the mix.

i was a reason user and tend to still use it now again and its all about thor and never abusing the parameters so much within it get the body of your sound and shape it using the effects available within reason

The split thing is really important. Adding any type of saturation or shaping, from soft clipping to bi/uni-polar modes of drive boosts many of our harmonics. Regarding the masking effect which says certain amounts of frequencies over and under the main wave can mask the main wave and either shape a modulation in any type or occupy severe extent of bandwidth. This trick makes your bass part have enough room/ have less harmonic distortion/boost to be able to cut through the mix, and having your midrange sounding colorful and roaring. Thanks to omowglio.

I have been concentrating on making 'wampy' sounds in reason 3 for the last few months.

my advice would be to start with one of the raw synth samples (SQ, SAW etc) from the Factory SB in the NN19.

Then it's a case of messing with the LFO on FILTER and adjusting the attack on the amp ENVELOPE to get the 'wampy' rise and fall of the filter.

I usually insert a placebo subtractor's LFO 1 output into the NN19's FILTER 1 CUTOFF input with a different rate and waveform from the filter modulation on the NN19 to get bi-polar FILTER sweeps that work in the opposite direction as the original LFO mod on the NN19.

then distort the F**K out of it with two SCREAM units that also create opposing effects. adjusting the mod levels to get the nasty sound you want.

use a STEREO IMAGER and put it on HI PASS, forget about bottom end on these 'wamps' which are essentially mid-range. bottom end tends to get muddy and you can add a sub at a later point.
you can also create a recording track for this STEREO IMAGER and record yourself sweeping up through the high pass at the end of your 8 bar etc.

Then the compression is really important.

create a mastering suite combo and you can force a particular part of the sound with the equaliser, dont adjust the stereo imager width too much, but here you have another chance to remove a bit of top/bottom end with hi pass/low pass.
compress it as best you can with a fairly low threshold and a fairly quick attack.

I hope you get a bit of joy out of this Manny.

DM.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom