Noob Question: The State Of DnB

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by jkk45, Jun 1, 2013.

1. jkk45

jkk45 New Member

I'm new here

Has DnB fused into Dubstep?. So have some traditionally more Liquid Funk/Jump Up producer started to incorporate elements of dubstep in their work?. Is there hate from the DnB community over producers who are attempting to change their sound to appeal to 15 year olds in the American EDM scene, who only want Dubstep and producers "who sound like Skrillex"?

So basically what I'm saying, much like the whole "Trouse" thing going on with Trance at the moment, is the DnB/Drumstep/Dubstep pheneomon in a similar position to this. Or does a strong underground DnB scene remain, with high quality producers who are unaffected by the American EDM craze. From my personal experience it seems that every Electronic Music subculture seems to think that the American EDM craze is the worst thing to happen to Electronic Music. Is this the case with DnB?

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

DnB hasn't fused into anything, it borrows from all styles and era's, though i think dubstep has borrowed more from dnb than dnb has from dubstep.

there are many producers who have gone down the route of making radio-friendly garbage for the masses in light of the recent EDM fad, but you'll soon find that practically no one on this forum gives a toss about what shit they're making and just choose to ignore it.

of course a strong underground scene still exists, and it will do for a very long time, it's not like producers have gone "oh, it seems there are people bastardising ths 20+ year old genre and getting lots of air-time for it...oh well, better stop making the music i love"

As with every other fad america gets its grubby little hands on, commercial 'edm' will die out in a few years and be forgotten about, except a handful of people who decide to delve a little deeper and find the true underground sounds...and thus, the next generation of junglists is born.

i was reading this article earlier, explains it pretty well
    http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/199160/edm-is-the-new-american-bubble/

3. Mason John

Mason John 21st Junta

On the one hand, this makes me angry as an American. But on the other hand, it makes me pretty sad b/c it's the honest truth. I can't stand the shit that comes from some of our producers on the EDM scene, and like always pop songs happen to have jumped on utilizing these sounds a decade or more after they've already been done better by other artists in the scene proper. But at least it isn't as bad as some of the hiphop producers here who don't bother to not use stock 303 claps and 808 kicks in their music....

.....okay, it is as bad, I was lying to myself.

I get even more sad when I throw some names at people and they look at me like I'm a freakin' nutcase on an acid trip. Guess that's to be expected around these parts.

4. bongobongo

bongobongo Member

Dnb is fine there's so many great and interesting tunes about at the moment it doesn't matter what dubstep and edm are doing. Dnb is an art it is expression and therefore as long as producers are still trying to be creative it will not die out as a lot of them are in it as artists/producers, were as all the american guys have this what can we sell and how can we make loads of dough out of it mentality.

Not sure whether I hold a grudge against it, some of it makes me cringe other stuff I think ok if it gets a few more people to go to a dnb night etc then maybe it's ok.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  5. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

The way I see it, the more mainstream dnb goes, the deeper it goes at te other end of the spectrum. Just gotta know where to look

6. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

DUBSTEP IS SHIT....... Simple answer to a pathetic question.

7. Anth

Anth Active Member

dnb is one scene you can rely on to always have an underground, there will always be the commercial stuff but by using forums such as this you soon find that its the underground that is still flourishing and in my opinion is at its best right now with the likes of jubei, paradox, ulterior motive, just tons of producers doing what they love without changing their style to appeal to the masses, and theirs loads coming through all the time, clarity, mtwn, hybris.

ive always been into the darker side of music because it tends to be more thoughtful, imaginative and personal - from black metal in the early 90s, gabber and jungle/dnb in the late 90s, to post rock and after 15 years i got back into dnb to find that the innovators and darker sounds are still their and the main focus of dnb

bn14 likes this.
  8. della111

della111 Active Member

To be fair id say the scene is very healthy, on both sides of the spectrum. The likes of Dispatch, Critial, Renegade Hardware are putting out music for the headz. And Ram, Hospital, Viper are putting out shite for the masses (along with the odd decent bits). Suppose you cant really complain..

9. djrowney

djrowney G13 RECORDS/SMOKESCREEN

fuck EDM lol

dnb is thriving
    of course theres shit stuff but the good stuff outweighs it, so many different styles and vibes in dnb we are a strong force in the world of music

10. junglistguy2221

junglistguy2221 Drum & Bass Producer

dubstep invented drum & bass in chicago in the late 80s. you can't say it's shit.

Shatner's Bosom likes this.
  11. Mish Mash

Mish Mash Well-Known Member

there wasn't a single mainstream tune played at hardware on saturday... pure dungeon music all the way through

12. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

is this man for serious?

dnb came out of the acidhouse/hardcore scene in uk

bn14 likes this.
  13. junglistguy2221

i'm totally serious. also TC invented jump up and the Prodigy invented house.

14. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Today I heard a really good drum & bass song one the radio, It was terrific. All I need to do now is go fucking jump off a cliff and what is this junglist guy on.

Goldie invented dnb when he was doing a stir fry in his kitchen for come dine with me when suddenly the plate fell to the ground and made a great kick snare. It went from there really

bn14 likes this.
  15. Grade

Grade Active Member

@ anyone who uses the acronym "EDM"

Stop

16. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

This. Fucking hell it's a horrible combination of letters.

DeeGun likes this.
  17. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Ow its EDM not EDL I was getting confused

18. junglistguy2221

nah man Goldie is an actor. you need to do some research.

19. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Goldies as good as an actor as he is a chef.

20. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

that was a fucking good read armed, although i don't agree with his predictions about the "EDM bubble" bursting in 2014. There will always be cheese being made and absorbed by the mainstream.

p.s.

i got the freshest edm guise, you dont even know. pm me for skrillox's latest bubblebath remix of tinie tempas new track