Noob Question: Exporting MP3 from Audacity.

Prospekt

VIP Junglist
Ok so I've just recorded my first using Audacity.

When I try and export it as an MP3 it says I have to download some MP3 lame encoder thingy.

Do I need to get this program to export my mix as an MP3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I've never recored anything before.

Thanks. :andy:

Ok so I've just recorded my first using Audacity.

When I try and export it as an MP3 it says I have to download some MP3 lame encoder thingy.

Do I need to get this program to export my mix as an MP3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I've never recored anything before.

Thanks. :andy:

The way I do it is:

Click File > Export Selection > Then click options sort the quality an stuff like that then save

I never had to download a encoder

I click File > I go to export as MP3 > It says I need this fucking LAME ENCODER crud. Not sure what to do really.

I can export it as a wav, does that matter?

yeah you can export as a wav but the file will be huuuge, you might have another program which you could use to convert the wav to an mp3? cool edit or summat like that would do nicely

Save it as WAV and you can export it later but it will be MAHUSIVE.

Download the LAME encoder linked to above, put it in C:\Program Files\Audacity, open the wav file in Audacity and then File -> Export as MP3, it will ask you for the lame_enc.dll, select the copy you put in Program File and its done!

The reason you have to download the MP3 encoder separately is because MP3 is a proprietary format, this way Audacity can be given out for free and an open source implementation of the proprietary encoder can be given out separately, ensuring the legality of the whole thing.

You dont need to put it in the folder when it says you need to use the lame.dll just loook for it wherever you saved it and then click on it thats should help ya!!

Back
Top Bottom