[NOOB] Mixing in Ableton Live?

megagnome

Hey everyone,

I've been producing for several years and been focusing on making d&b for around one year now. I'm dedicated to this particular genre, so it would be a good idea to get into mixing. As I use Ableton Live as my preferred DAW, and it has DJing capabilties on paper, it is only logical to stay in a familiar environment. I tried to mix something before, but it ended up as a fake-mix as it wasn't mixed in real-time, instead I kinda produced the tunes together. I didn't add extra synths or samples, but it felt cheaty anyway. Considering that it was my first attempt at mixing, I was quite pleased with the result. I'm not sure, if this kind of mixing is approved by common consent, though. Please let me now about that. If there is anyone of you using Live for real mixing, please give me some tips on setting up decks, syncing etc.
I had a look at traktor in the past, which was okay for me, but I don't want to miss out on the effects and customizability Live has to offer.

Would be grateful for any tips ... thx & peace

Hey everyone,

I've been producing for several years and been focusing on making d&b for around one year now. I'm dedicated to this particular genre, so it would be a good idea to get into mixing. As I use Ableton Live as my preferred DAW, and it has DJing capabilties on paper, it is only logical to stay in a familiar environment. I tried to mix something before, but it ended up as a fake-mix as it wasn't mixed in real-time, instead I kinda produced the tunes together. I didn't add extra synths or samples, but it felt cheaty anyway. Considering that it was my first attempt at mixing, I was quite pleased with the result. I'm not sure, if this kind of mixing is approved by common consent, though. Please let me now about that. If there is anyone of you using Live for real mixing, please give me some tips on setting up decks, syncing etc.
I had a look at traktor in the past, which was okay for me, but I don't want to miss out on the effects and customizability Live has to offer.

Would be grateful for any tips ... thx & peace

Personally seeing someone up in the booth with just a laptop is the most boring thing i can think of, and i would probably leave the room, go to another room, or go for a ciggy.

If i were you i'd just learn how to use cdj's or vinyl. Dont want to get into a medium war but these 2 mediums are the only kind (in my opinion) that are entertaining. Also they are the only 2 in my opinion that are any fun to do. Hitting sync sucks the fun out of the whole thing. Thats why i promptly sold my midi controller when i first got into mixing.

What kind of effects and customizability are you after? Personally if im out and i see effects and stuff being used it does nothing but annoy me that they are ruining a perfectly good tune. To be honest, if i were you i would step away from the effects etc, and learn how to mix "properly" (learn how to beat-match, blend tunes etc) in real time. Far more satisfying and fun when you know how, and far more impressive to watch as well.

Seen someone sitting in a booth with Live running on his laptop. It just killed the vibes completly, and you could tell no one was feeling it. The tunes were good, and they were mixed ok, it was just too gimmicky to watch and the dude was concentrating so hard on his laptop it was just pure blank face up there, no movement or energy from him at all. And i very much think the crowd feeds off the dj's energy.

I feel ableton should be left to producing.

Last edited:
First off thank you for your opinion on that. I do appreciate that very much. I really might take a look at "real" DJing sometime in the future, but for now producing takes up a lot of my resources (free time, money, etc.), so "easing digitally into it" would be the only viable way for me. I understand that for live performances vinyl is ideal. However, I think I can acquire some skills that are valid amongst all mediums by just using any DJ-Software.

I will probably read up some more on it in the sticky. Still, it would be nice if someone could point out some deficits of Ableton Live (if any) compared to other software.

You cant acquire hardly any skills by using DJ Software mate, sorry. You might get a rough ear for it, but hammering sync and using ableton will actually make it harder, my mate found it really hard to learn to mix after using virtual dj for ages, you get used to using sync, seeing waveforms etc to learn how to mix, when you should be using your ears. If you want to be taken seriously or get sets at places, at least look into getting a Toys R US controller.

TBH I can imagine it probably being pretty robotic and boring. I think the reason that Ableton is used for mixes quite frequently is that DJ/Producers get asked to do so many promo mixes etc while travelling that finding a spare hour to record a mix on a traditional set up isn't practical so they use Ableton so they can bash it out in 20 minutes while sitting in an airport for example. Usage of Ableton for mixing live to my knowledge is pretty non existent unless they are performing their own productions or have entirely pre planned a set. A set mixed in Ableton might wow a listener but if you want to start mixing for fun or to enjoy it then I think Ableton live will leave you pretty disappointed. Also i'd probably leave the effects at the door, three band EQ and two volume faders is the staple choice for the most elite dnb DJs IMO.

Back
Top Bottom