Noi. - Closer -- My music feels a little empty, can anyone give me a tip?

Noi.

Here's the story: I like liquid Drum n Bass. I also would like to make liquid Drum n bass. And I don't just mean soft synths all over the place - I prefer to take it to the more natural level -> strings, pianos bunch of ambient and soft brass in the background.
I don't really take/steal anyone's style, I simply sit down and do my best if I'm at it.
While I gotta admit I'm quite new to the stuff (hell, this does not sound professional to me by any means so far), I sort of believe that even if I don't have the talent for it, I at least have most of the techniques available, so making a go for it can't hurt.

So yes, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment. Recently, I've done some digging on my HDD and 'released' 3 of my projects I've found the best of all, with 2 of them being liquid Drum n Bass, and the last one being an electro-house song I'm not really gonna point out right now.

One of them I found the best myself, Closer is the one I'd like to mainly show to you here. But I also would like to link you the other one, Path of Life I've made after Closer about a week ago actually. I kept utilizing presets to a minimum, and only used self-made drumlines. (Don't know if posting two is necessarily against the rules, but in case it is - I apologize :c)

Closer

Path of Life
(Optional)

Point is --> I don't know if I feel this because I've heard this song millions of times while making it, or because it is true, - but this song to me feels extremely uncommon and empty compared to most liquid tracks I come across daily. While some of my mates are all over it, I still am just straight up unsure about it all.
Am I the only one?

So what I'm asking for here (in case your ears act the same way on this song as mine), is that what can you guys recommend me to do about it. What is it missing? What makes it sound so generic and weak?

Is this even the right path for me to take?

(And while we're at it, a secondary question if you don't mind: What does it take to get something like this going with a record label and to throw it up on Spotify? I'm really not in it for a money, I just wanna 'belong' to somewhere official, when I get up to that level)

Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism thrown at me! : )

quite like the first one, and agree its missing something, a hook, vocal or sample or something

and where it drops out of the breakdown @ 2:40, I would get rid of all of that upto 3:20, and instead drop it straight into the section at 3:20, which is a better contrast and sustains the energy much better; the part @ 2:40-3:20 just isn't working for me, to much going on i think, but after 3:20 is great

mix is kinda muddy...def needs tweekin, keep things simple...don't be tempted to add more stuff in (a simple sample or vocal hook would def be a good addition tho), if anything you can probly strip some elements out for some phrases, contrasting phrases is important to keep the energy going

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! : )

As suggested I've wiped that entire main section out, and quickly reworked the part with this (neuro kind of?) bass towards the end, didn't take time mastering much though, as it's only concept so far.

And yes, I also can agree on the mixing being a little off, but I didn't see it as much as I did before you told me. Definitely will sit down and do something about it soon.

For vocals, any good sources i can get them from? Quite unsure about how some people deal with that, and I don't know if just going on and stealing samples out of an acapella would be rightful thing to do (but hell if I know, that's why i'm asking)

cheers

that's what most people do, sample something you like (could be an acepella, tune, film, tv whatever..), keep it short, one or two words is all that's needed, vary the FX each time you use it...will have a listen to your updated version later this eve

Back
Top Bottom