No idea what to do with finished tracks

Discussion in 'Production' started by Rubs90, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Been finishing loads of tracks recently, and I have no idea what to do with them.. I dont think their ready to be sent to record labels, but at the same time not sure if I should upload them onto soundcloud. Also, is it custom to send your tunes to producers? Dont wanna bother them with my tunes, but see a lot of them saying that they will review tracks on their email soon etc etc, so Im curious as to whether some of them would give me feedback or not.. By the way, I know how stupid my thread sounds, it just goes to show how clueless I am about these things

2. DaftFader

DaftFader The Bass Too Dark

you're not gonna get heard if you don't get your self out there.

3. Kothy

Kothy Member

Tweak the ones that you like the best, delete the ones you don't. (Use previous things and keep making better ideas out of them if you're on writers block, relax a bit, come back and pump out the tunes. Don't write what you think needs written, write the music how you feel.)

4. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Just dont know whats the best way to do it

5. cohma101

cohma101 Member

What Ive been doing is uploading everything as free downloads. After I start getting massive amounts of downloads, ( something worth listening to), I'll approach labels. The audience will decide what to do next, they always do. I know its going to take time and I'd rather be 100% sure and comfortable with my music, rather than a list of happy accidents worth listening to.

6. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

I feel you rubs, I'm kind of in a similar situation... I don't feel like I'm in the position where I want to send my stuff out to labels and such because I know that I'm not really there yet. Still I want to do something with what I have created.

Because there is no idea with promoting your music if it aint good enough. You will just end up spreading a bad reputation around yourself like "oh that guy, I didn't really fancy him, listened to him a while back and he was shit".

Guess I'll just sit here and try to get better at what I'm doing.

7. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Do whatever you fancy with them mate! :)

Some people I know just produce for fun. They go through the long and hard process of finishing off a tune that they are happy with then they simply move onto the next and the track never reaches anyones ears.

Maybe you want your tunes played out? Send em to a few DJ mates and see if they will sneak them in their sets :)

Whack up online to get feedback from others (which will in turn help you improve)

Your tunes, your choice :)

8. iamjoey

iamjoey Active Member

Definitely whack them up on soundcloud mate :) feedback never hurts anyone.

Also, why not split some of them up into stems and give out to some would be remixers? i'd definitely be interested in that.. I haven't ever tried a remix with someone's stems.

9. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

If you dont think they're good enough to send to labels, but you want to know what other people think of them, then there really is no better way than to throw em on soundcloud, and post them up here in the new talent section. You're never gonna improve yourself if you dont get some criticism, and most of us here are honest, blunt, but kind enough not to shoot you down in a blaze of fire! And like someone else said, you need to get your name out there!

10. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Will be doing that.. question is, upload the full track or a clip?

11. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Maybe full versions of the one's you're less than high on, and clips of the stronger tracks. Also, it's good to post em up on soundcloud regardless because you (and your followers) can see your skill progression with each new track. Growth is always a good selling point.

Cheers.

12. Nydus

Nydus All in the sig.

Up them to Soundcloud, start a fan base!

13. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

14. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

if you dont feel there good enuff to send to labels an shit then upload to soundlcloud for feedback on here an other places to get ideas on what needs work an what to lose etc

also a clip is fine as long as youve got enuff of the track for people to get an idea what its like you could also do say 2 sections of a tune if your worried about people rippin em
    but if you feel they aint good enuff to be signed then a full tune doesnt seem like a bad idea

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  15. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

If anyone is curious I uploaded some of my tracks, you can find them in a thread on the track reviews sub forum, or on my soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tyrant-dnb

16. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

yeah man sounding big, got a bristol sound to em, deep & dark

17. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Quick questions regarding labels:

1. Is it worth sending just one track off to a label (kind of like a demo)?
    2. Whats the best way to send your tracks to labels? I have AIM but some labels dont have their AIMs on their pages etc. Is soundcloud dropbox good?

18. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

sounding wicked these!

labels are more impressed when you have 2-4 tracks, because A) It shows you are consistent, and gives a better impression of your style B) It gives them options as far as releases go

bigger labels wont check their dropboxs but the labels who sign new artists quite often do, so it can be well worth it. You have nothing to lose so long as the label is reputable right?

19. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

most of the above is correct........soundcloud is a good start if anything to network and meet other producers and djs to get feedback and advice on your tracks.....i'd stick a few tracks up (full versions) because no-one gets thier first attempts signed but it will get your name out there.

As you get more contacts you can get more feedback and when your tracks start to get to a stage where you feel it can be sent to a label you should have a few contacts that have labels or links to a label who you can approach......id never just aproach someone and say "hello im joe bloggs wanna sign my tune.....?"...best to network first and get talking to poeple.

Once you start to put out some good tracks i.d just put up the first 3mins of it and maybe even put a jingle half way thru it and fade it in and out to stop anyone ripping it....

And as said id give away the first few decent tracks to as many djs as poss to get your name about........if your in it for live not money it doesnt really matter if you give the first few tracks away......dont be under any pretence that you'll make a fortune on a few signings.

And if you dj yourself play your own tracks as much as possible then you can see the ravers reactions...cos at the end of the day its the raver that decides on a good tune and a not so good......good luck feller. folow me on soundcloud (link below) and ill give you feedback on your tracks....i by no means an expert but ill gibe you my honest views on any of your tracks.

20. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

dubsta you obviously didnt even listen to his stuff mate, and that advice isn't upto much either.

Completely disagree, this isn't a playground where you pass notes around. If somebody writes quality music then they should approach a quality label themselves, ASAP. The label bosses are real people, and the majority of them have contact details for this specific reason. The label will connect you with the necessary artists and DJ's.

Anyways; all this talk is pointless!! music speaks for itself (yada yada yada)

Good luck tyrant i think your gonna do well

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012