Nice free EQ

Abletons EQ isn't surgical enough? Are you serious fella? The EQ eight is quite possibly the best EQ I have ever used! It's perfect for surgical EQ!

Really? Maybe its just me but i found the fact you can only get curves of -12 and octave abit limiting, or is there away of getting a steeper curve? Maybe ive used the word surgical in the wrong way here, i mean it as in using steep cuts to gel things together.

Do you mean more like a lowpass filter, or highpass?

Surgical EQ is a technique where you use multiple notch filters with a high Q (or resonance) setting to carve out steep cuts (Hence the term "Surgical") in the frequency spectrum to remove any unwanted resonant sounds that may appear. Sometimes I'll have 4-8 instances of Ableton's EQ Eight on one sound!

Yh i do mean a lowpass/highpass filter thinking about it. Sorry for the confusion! Is there anyway i can get a steeper cut in ableton, or is it a case of just stacking up more than 1 eq? An example would be to cut out all frequencys below 30/35hz on a sub sharply.

no abletons eq 8 only has a 12db/octave low/high cut, however if you stack multiple instance of the same low/high cut on top of eachother they will provide the same effect as harsher cuts 12+12=24db/oct 12+12+12+12= 48db/oct and so on, fletch you really should do it techniques like cutting the sub below 30hz is a great way to free up some headroom in your mix

you probly dont want to do hard/brickwall type hi-pass filtering on your bass end, EQ doesnt just remove frequencies, it also changes the harmonic resonance, which means your 35hz sub may shift to a completly diffrent frequency, which will in turn resonate diffrently up the harmonic octaves of your sound, doubling up your 12db hi-pass (not a brickwall type filter) can help, but you still get sum changes.

My suggestion, if you are having problems with low freq rumble or mud, would be to ensure that all your sounds are properly hi-passed higher up, 100-150hz, then use a pure Sine to generate your sub.

If you need more dramatic EQ, you can set the EQ to Notch rather than Bell, this will give you an -inf cut

Now while you're at it, any good surgical (hopefully visual) eq plugin, that can be used as multiple notch, like a digital steep curve and -infinite db? I haven't seen any where the notch is a perfect square and deletes the frequency completely.

you probly dont want to do hard/brickwall type hi-pass filtering on your bass end, EQ doesnt just remove frequencies, it also changes the harmonic resonance, which means your 35hz sub may shift to a completly diffrent frequency, which will in turn resonate diffrently up the harmonic octaves of your sound, doubling up your 12db hi-pass (not a brickwall type filter) can help, but you still get sum changes.

My suggestion, if you are having problems with low freq rumble or mud, would be to ensure that all your sounds are properly hi-passed higher up, 100-150hz, then use a pure Sine to generate your sub.

If you need more dramatic EQ, you can set the EQ to Notch rather than Bell, this will give you an -inf cut

thankyou for that tip dude, i never thought about that... nice one :) fletch i was sorry to question you, i've heard your tunes and production is definately on point, i was wrong to assume such things :)

Back
Top Bottom