ni massive

Discussion in 'Production' started by dnbsoldier87, Jul 20, 2010.

1. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

I kinda know my way around this now, but i just need to take it to the next level. Most sounds i make end up sounding like someone jamming on an electric guitar, and thats not the sound im going for. My usual method of trying to make a dirty "reecey" bass sound is it pitch down a combination of square/saw waves, add some distortion and mayb formant filter, to give it extra growl. then mess around with lowpass/bandpass lfo's and tweaking the curves to try get the sound i want.

I feel ive watched pretty much every tutorial on massive i can, and can produce what the tutorials are telling me, but can never find what im looking for. Im trying to get a proper grunting jump up sound similar to these, but as mentioned i usually get an electric guitar sounding noise... anyone else experienced this in their early days? If anyone could point me towards further tutorials or just explain the missing link i cant seem to find to get something like this, would be appreciated.
    Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0xxObmexJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-bQsNBq2w

2. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

3. spung3

spung3 Member

I would guess that sounds like that are a lot to do with processing through plug ins but I could be wrong.

Edit I've attached a little example from something I'm working on, of a bass without plug in processing then with processing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  4. Krispy

Krispy Active Member VIP Junglist

5. dnbsoldier87

dnbsoldier87 Member

safe. Ah so now i finally understand what people are on about when explaining how to make certain sounds "a pitched down saw wave + clever processing" I never understood the clever processing bit.

So in response to that, what kind of vst effects am i missing out on? I usually use distortion, to give stuff a bit of grunt, formant filters are nice too. phaser, reverb, flanger can add to a sound if used well. Can anyone name some good effects that i may have missed? or is they key just picking the right one and learning how to apply it properly to make it sound good?

6. Krispy

Krispy Active Member VIP Junglist

Hmm I use formant filters and bitcrusher.... There is a gem called "CamelPhat" you should definitely look into getting