NI Massive -> bassline sounds always different & FL Studio question

DigitalDevil

Hi

I had today my last exam for the next 3 months and I've now time to produce some tracks, but there is a problem with NI Massive. I've a good bassline, but the bass sounds always diffrent and I can't figure out where the problem is. Could you help me? You can find an example preset in the attachment. Make with that preset an melody and you will hear that the output is always diffrent. Where did I make the error?
I like the output, but I want to control it.

My next question is about FL Studio. I know now how to make automation clips, but I don't know how to choose the 'pattern'. At the moment I can make only linear automations. How can I change the 'pattern'? Hope you understand what I mean.

Thx
Cheers

Attachment:
View attachment try3.zip

Hi

I had today my last exam for the next 3 months and I've now time to produce some tracks, but there is a problem with NI Massive. I've a good bassline, but the bass sounds always diffrent and I can't figure out where the problem is. Could you help me? You can find an example preset in the attachment. Make with that preset an melody and you will hear that the output is always diffrent. Where did I make the error?
I like the output, but I want to control it.

My next question is about FL Studio. I know now how to make automation clips, but I don't know how to choose the 'pattern'. At the moment I can make only linear automations. How can I change the 'pattern'? Hope you understand what I mean.

Thx
Cheers

Attachment:
View attachment 5264

The output might vary from note to note because of any effects you are using on the sound, or more probably due to the phasing between the oscillators you have chosen.

What do you mean by 'pattern'?

I could be entirely off as to what this is, as I only have the Massive demo, but I think the problem is stemming from that "feedback" module you have at the bottom. I believe what is happening is the signal is feeding back to much and the whatever decay is left over from the previous note is affecting the tone/timbre of the current/next note.

It's been a long time since I used FL Studio but you should be able to change to a different pattern by going up to the "Pat" option next to "Tempo" at the top and dragging so you see the different pattern options.

What do you mean by tha you can use it only linear? In piano roll or in playlist you can draw it with pencil and you can change the tension of the lines in between the points you draw.

Okay the solution to the sound changing in Massive is a problem I hear a lot of people about and it's all about your voicing tab. So go there in Massive and check the voicing options.. Probably you've got "Monorotate" selected, change this to "Monophon" and it should be good. Monorotate is adding a subtle change to the sound, so the first and second time the sound hits sound different, the third sounds like the first one again and so on... I personally hate that option so I always go for Monophon, I feel that whenever some subtle changes are happening that I can't control I'm not going to use it. You could do the same subtle change by using automation and have a lot more controllability that way.

Just a personal thing though.. :D

Make good use of automation for Massive's macro controls as well, you can create some killer grooves that way and add more interest to the track.

Cheers.

Sorry, I didn't have any motivation to produce something/work with FL Studio and I kept busy with programing. But I think it's time to invest some time in producing now.

Not sure about FL but in Cubase can you can draw in automation with a pencil tool...

Yeah, I meant something like that, but I don't know how to open it. It seems that the guy in the video opens it with a right click, but when I do a right click nothing happens.

The output might vary from note to note because of any effects you are using on the sound, or more probably due to the phasing between the oscillators you have chosen.

What do you mean by 'pattern'?

I'm not sure if your explanation is right, because even if I use only one note the sound vary.
By pattern I meant the diffrent types of "pencils". All my automations are made with linear lines...

I could be entirely off as to what this is, as I only have the Massive demo, but I think the problem is stemming from that "feedback" module you have at the bottom. I believe what is happening is the signal is feeding back to much and the whatever decay is left over from the previous note is affecting the tone/timbre of the current/next note.

It's been a long time since I used FL Studio but you should be able to change to a different pattern by going up to the "Pat" option next to "Tempo" at the top and dragging so you see the different pattern options.

Yeah, you are actually right. The sounds vary because of the feedback module. I will try the pattern options when I'm home. I'm at school right now. :p

Check the ADSR curve for the amp-output witch ever envelope that its set to. I think its number 4 in the default preset

I'm not sure. I think it is 5, but I work with a default template where it is set to it's max, so that isn't the problem, but thanks.

What do you mean by tha you can use it only linear? In piano roll or in playlist you can draw it with pencil and you can change the tension of the lines in between the points you draw.

I was talking about automation clips. ^^"

Okay the solution to the sound changing in Massive is a problem I hear a lot of people about and it's all about your voicing tab. So go there in Massive and check the voicing options.. Probably you've got "Monorotate" selected, change this to "Monophon" and it should be good. Monorotate is adding a subtle change to the sound, so the first and second time the sound hits sound different, the third sounds like the first one again and so on... I personally hate that option so I always go for Monophon, I feel that whenever some subtle changes are happening that I can't control I'm not going to use it. You could do the same subtle change by using automation and have a lot more controllability that way.

Just a personal thing though.. :D

Yeah, I had problems with that at the beginning, but I've a clear default template where it's set to Monophon. :p

Make good use of automation for Massive's macro controls as well, you can create some killer grooves that way and add more interest to the track.

Cheers.

You don't mean the MIDI control, but the Performer/Stepper, right?
Yeah, I've heard about it, but I'm way too noob to make some good basslines with it. I hope I will learn it soo, but thank you for that advice.

Hey, thank you for all your answers!
I'm really sorry that I didn't answer you earlier. :/

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I have encountered the same problem again, but this time I know what the problem is, but I don't know how I could solve it. I've a simple Polysaw II as OSC 1 and I set an LFO to the Amp (of OSC 1). My problem now is, that it sounds always diffrent, when I have multiple voices (f.e. 3 Unisono). Is there a way to solve this?

have a look for a 'Retrigger' option, i dont know Massive well enough to tell u where it might be, but it could be that the diffrent elements are not synced, for eg LFO's may be cycling without any regard for the start/end of notes, Retrigger options are usually the way to fix that

The problem was, that the 'Max unisono' was higher than Unisono. Sometimes it had 4 voices instead of 3 (I think because the OSC's were interfering with each other on higher notes). I set both to 3 and it worked. :)

I was just having the same problem, sometimes it can also be caused by the pitch cutoff in the voicing tab. Turn that off and see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom