NI Komplete 9 Announced...Hurray?

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Allow me to preface this little post with a bit of full disclosure. I'm a Native Instruments fan. I own the S4 + Traktor Scratch Pro 2.x, F1 and Komplete 8. I've always enjoyed their products, random specials and customer service. I was excited upon hearing the news this morning about Komplete 9 and quickly rushed to the website to see what new goodies would be shipped with Komplete 9:

Battery 4. NICE! About effing time. The new interface looks slick and the implementation of the SSL emulated plugins is a nice touch. The addition of the Time Machine Pro algorithm is a HUGE win.

Monark. Erm...alright. Another "Analog" creation that bears a very striking resemblance to u-he's beautiful DIVA synth.

SSL FX. Solid Bus Comp, Solid Dynamics and Solid EQ. I mean, they're nice. But they're not really "new," only to the Komplete 9 package. I'm quite fond of my FabFilter plugins right now so I'll pass...

The Giant. Again, not "new," just new to Komplete 9. A giant fucking piano. Perhaps useful for someone...but not me considering my HD is loaded with piano sampler instruments...including the multiple versions already included in Komplete 8.

And aside from the above listed, everything else is the same. For an upgrade price of $150 (for Komplete 2-8 owners), I probably shouldn't complain too much. I'm actually more disappointed than anything. I was hoping for more updates to the classics...where's my FM9...my Massive 2...Kontakt 6?

I hate to speculate or talk negative about a developer who's products I enjoy, but the lack of "wow" factor with Komplete 9 leads me to believe that we will see the likes of FM9, Massive 2, etc. released during this year...at an additional cost to those who have already purchased Komplete 9.

I truly hope that I'm wrong and getting worked up over nothing...but again, I can't help but feel a bit let down. Probably my own fault for setting expectations so high.

Thoughts?

/endrant

Just use Reason and make your own FM50000009 if you want lol.

As for me, I'll probably be sticking with Komplete 8 for now, just don't feel like droppin $150 on things that I already have the plug-in's to do lol

Bring on FM9!!!!!!!!!!!

I only bought 8 at the weekend and by jesus its frickin amazing! To the point where Massive is now obsolete for me!

Agreed. Admittedly I'd like to get my hands on Battery 4 to see how it "feels." If it blows me away I'll drop the $150 (unless they offer Battery 4 only at a special upgrade price). But for right now, I'm just kinda "meh."

Yeah I was also a little disappointed really, but as you say at least the upgrade price is low. Not sure I'll be getting it, may just skip this one and wait until the next!

yeh not much exciting about this.. Have they even mentioned they are developing Massive 2 and 'FM9' or is this just speculation?

yeh not much exciting about this.. Have they even mentioned they are developing Massive 2 and 'FM9' or is this just speculation?
Pure speculation on my part.

I've never really used Battery, it's a drum thing right?
Yup. Great drum plugin that was severely outdated until now. Hopefully this new version will exceed expectations.

Is regular komplete still coming on a fuckton of dvd's or did everything switch to a hard drive now?
It's a choir having to re-install the entire thing.

Is there something specific massive and fm8 aren't doing for you or do you just like sequels?

Depends on the sequel. Robocop 2 was good, but not as good as the first.

Both synths are just fine. Moreso, I (and many others) perhaps set our expectations too high and expected a jaw dropping "surprise" to coincide with the announcement of Komplete 9. Again, I'm not bashing N.I., moreso just expressing a bit of a letdown. Especially considering the new synth unveiled is another analog modeled synth...something I believe the market is a bit flooded with...I thought N.I. would have come up with something a bit more forward thinking. But I digress...

Last edited:
So, how many of you got it in the end? I just picked it up yesterday (cross-grade from Kontakt 3) so basically everything apart from Battery and Kontakt is new to me. Liking the new browser in Battery, and the Transient Master addition is awesome. The samples seem really trap orientated but my old Battery 3 kits open up ok. Quite like the Giant as you have access to some overtones and fx types noises as well. Stoked to have Guitar Rig at my disposal now too. Can't wait to dig in and see if I can get to grips with Reaktor and Absynth etc....

/\ Absynth is sssoooooo sssiiiccckkk!!!!!!!!! Seriously one of the greatest software sound sources and audio manipulation tools ever made.

I bit and picked it up at the upgraded price range.

Battery 4 is tremendous. They completely revamped the interface, kits and processing FX (compression, transient shaping, etc.) Monark is...ok...but I'm sticking with DIVA.

The added Kontakt instruments (ex. Session Strings) are a welcomed addition as is the inclusion of the Solid Mix Series–though admittedly I still stick with my FabFilter tools.

If you already have Komplete 8 you don't need to rush and get 9...unless you're after Battery 4 in which case the $150 upgrade price from Komplete 8 is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom