Newcomer questions.

Bloodyjack

I am sorry if this is the wrong forum.
I have been trying to find out how to do music like Spor, specifically: Molehill, Supernova, 103 degrees, and blue girl.
I really like his style of play, and although this answer has been answered, I have a few issues with trying what has been stated on:
http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/67321-Making-sounds-like-Apex-Spor-Noisia-etc

I have been having trouble using detune, I use Ableton Live 9, and all of the detunes on there, sounds crazy over the top, like it doesn't even sound like bass anymore.
Also, if others have thoughts on how to play like Spor, that could be great, always open for new ideas.
the reason why I chose not to post on the old thread, is because I don't want to Necrobump, just incase.

First off:

Forum Etiquette Level: 1000

To me it sounds like you need to resample more and watch some tuts on sound design etc for ideas. Sorry im mad drunk and this is all ive got for ya but keep searching YT for stuff like Noisa bass etc etc (y)

Look through the "How to Bassline" thread that's stickied to the top of this board. There is tons of information in there to get you started, you just gotta take the time to sift through and pick out what you like. ;) Also, as mentioned before, Youtube can teach you lots.

What synth are you using?
I am using Massive, a huge sink in my pocket.
I have been fiddling with it, however never managed to really get it right.
Tried to use some youtube videos to make a Noisia style reese bass, however when I used a Noisia sample, it didn't work out so well, tried with others, and other kinds you reese bass tutorials, however I never managed to do it.

Just find any tutorial on a reese bass to give you an idea.Then make it to your own taste so you dont really copy it.Check some tutorials on resampling...Ofcourse if your just starting out it will take some time to make some proper sounds.Heres a tutorial i found useful for getting the idea of resampling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij8_7HI9Ifw

If all else fails, there are tons of DNB massive preset packs that you can buy.

You can reverse engineer the sounds to see how they were made which will give you an idea of how to do it yourself.

If you look hard enough you can probably find some free ones too.

Tried to use some youtube videos to make a Noisia style reese bass, however when I used a Noisia sample, it didn't work out so well, tried with others, and other kinds you reese bass tutorials, however I never managed to do it.
I know what kinda trouble you are having bud, but lucky you bought a really great starting synth, which you can learn heaps from. I know massive inside and out and have made all kinds of great sounding reeces from it. Its not easy to get the right idea from people writing methods in a forum. Im happy to help you directly cause massive is a complex beast, so chuck us a PM if you would like some proper help.

I know what kinda trouble you are having bud, but lucky you bought a really great starting synth, which you can learn heaps from. I know massive inside and out and have made all kinds of great sounding reeces from it. Its not easy to get the right idea from people writing methods in a forum. Im happy to help you directly cause massive is a complex beast, so chuck us a PM if you would like some proper help.

I will think about it, currently I am trying DJF's video. I have learned quite abit, however he doesn't seem to use Massive, so maybe in a weekend when I have time or so.

Edit: Also how would one decrease the speed of kicks? I have increased the bpm to 170 and the kicks, snares, hi-hats sound way too fast.

Last edited:
There are literally tons of how to bass videos on youtube using massive. Some are as old as youtube itself (I may exageratted on this one), while some fresh new ideas come on a daily basis. Just search for them, learn how the person achieved that kind of sound, and use the knowledge to create your own.

What helped me really start to understand the neuro whips and saws, was the Bassgorilla videos. Luke helped a lot in that area and really gets into detail with it. Also the bass thread here is a HUGE INSIRATION and is FUL of amazing ideas and tuts. I have folders of masterclasses and tuts on my desktop, but that baseline thread is always a "go to" for most answers.

Also, I suggest not looking for "how to make basses in massive". . . . . . Instead, look for how to make basses, and apply what you learn to your synth of choice, be it massive or what ever.

Watch Blokhe4d's tutorial. It will give you some ideas/inspiration. The biggest takeaway is once you find the "sweet spot" for your moving bass, that's the sound you want to export and resample. When resampled, the movement will automatically track when spread across the keys of your sampler–and Ableton's sampler(s) are quite lovely (and a breeze to use!).

Also, less is more with detuning. In Massive, you want to detune the OSC pitch in decimals, not whole semitones. You'll may also want to keep the detuning equal. For example, Osc 1's pitch can be set to -0.12 and Osc 2's pitch can be set to +0.12.

You can then take add a bit of width by increasing the number of voices and applying a small bit of unison spread. Word of warning: too many voices and/or unison spread can quickly turn your bass into a phasey, muddy mess–be sure to continuously check in out your mix in mono to make sure you're bass is staying centered. You can always use a monoizing plugin to keep the lower frequencies centered, but I find it best to get the best sound possible from the source.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom