newbie questions

uberlinux

Hello all,
I'm just getting back into listening to DnB. I've be a casual listener for years now, but haven't been out to any shows or so much as even picked up a mixmag in quite a while now, and I've got a couple questions.

1. Could you list some DJs that play chill stuff like LTJ & omni trio etc? Maybe point me towards some mixes?

2. What are all these new sub-genres? Clownstep etc, wtf? Any examples of whats what as far as all the sub-genres of DnB go?

Thanks in advance!

- Kodiak In Pittsburgh

I'm not really into the chilled stuff, but search for 'liquid DnB' or 'liquid funk', that's what it's mostly called these days.

As for subgenres.... there are loads, i'll list a few...

PLEASE NOTE THAT MOST OF THIS IS PROBABLY/APPARENTLY WRONG >>>

Clownstep - silly, but usually cheerful DnB, usually with basslines that go wub-wub AKA Jump Up DnB. examples: Twisted Individual / Clipz / Generation Dub

Darkstep - the DARKSIDE. Beefy bass, beefy drums, abstract noises. examples: Tech Itch / Black Sun Empire / Noisia / Dylan

Drumfunk - DnB focusinig mainly on percussion. Intense 'choppage' (really fucked up drum loops) examples: Nucelus & Paradox

Techstep - Similar to Darkstep, but maybe not quite as dark. Influenced by Techno. examples: Konflict

Liquid funk - The chilled side of DnB. Often with vocals, lots of atmosphere, usually cheerful. Examples: High Contrast / Logistics

Neurofunk - Simialr to techstep, but with more of a dark/funky vibe. examples: Ed Rush & Optical

Jungle - there is a lot of confusion over what 'jungle' describes. Originally (until about 1994), all DnB was called Jungle. Nowadays, Jungle usually describes ragga influenced DnB with chopped amen drums, deep bass and 'BOMBACLART!' samples.

Not a great list, but it gives you an idea (BTW, not many people actually use the names of these subgenres)

Last edited:
dylans got nothing to do with darkstep, or at least no dylan tune i ever heard did.
darkstep was around way before techstep. source direct is the pinnacle of darkstep. i think of darkstep as the moodier cousin of intelligent drum and bass. not hard or aggressive as such but brooding and atmospheric.

Thanks a million dude. So is all jump-up also clownstep then? Like Aphrodite?

No, not really. All Clownstep is Jump-up, but not all jump-up is clownstep. I wouldn't really class Aphrodite as clownstep (maybe some of his newer stuff).

Most people would say that Jump-up is the 'cheesier'/commercial side of DnB (opposed to the darker sub genres).

Clownstep is tricky to describe in words. So here's some audio...

This is Twisted Individual (pioneer of clownstep) with good examples of earlier clownstep.
http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR98207_1.mp3

and this is the recent take on it.... Die & Clipz - Number 1.
http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR194320_1.mp3

Basically they sound a bit silly, you can imagine clowns dancing to it.

dylans got nothing to do with darkstep, or at least no dylan tune i ever heard did.
darkstep was around way before techstep. source direct is the pinnacle of darkstep. i think of darkstep as the moodier cousin of intelligent drum and bass. not hard or aggressive as such but brooding and atmospheric.

Sorry man, I wasn't sure about that. Checked Wikipedia and that's what it said.:oops_sign

i know, i read that too. i dont understand where that came from at all.
ive seen dylan put down as breakcore too, which is pretty much the opposite of darkstep. he doesnt make breakcore but you see how there is confusion regarding this subject.

Last edited:
No, not really. All Clownstep is Jump-up, but not all jump-up is clownstep. I wouldn't really class Aphrodite as clownstep (maybe some of his newer stuff).

Most people would say that Jump-up is the 'cheesier'/commercial side of DnB (opposed to the darker sub genres).

Clownstep is tricky to describe in words. So here's some audio...

This is Twisted Individual (pioneer of clownstep) with good examples of earlier clownstep.
http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR98207_1.mp3

and this is the recent take on it.... Die & Clipz - Number 1.
http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/mp3/MR194320_1.mp3

Basically they sound a bit silly, you can imagine clowns dancing to it.

Yet another bollox Clownstep description.............:mad:
To clear this up for once and for all......
Clownstep is related to any track that has a triplet/swing beat to it and a jumpy sound. "Bodyrock" (shudders internally) is the prime example or "Voices" by Jez Q.
It is not any tune that sounds fun or happy for fucks sake, why is happy D+B all labelled as clownstep.....:finger2:

The term was created to describe the triplet/swing but clownstep is not a fucking genre, its an insult.

No producer will call his stuff clownstep.

I hate 'genre' listing though I did have to rewrite the wikipedia bit.

BTW I did not write the wikipedia article on darkstep, I'm only responsible for editing the main article, the history of and "junglist".

OK, I knew I was gonna piss off at least a few people by replying to this thread....

'bollox clownstep description'? I just didn't know the technical terms (triplet/swing beat). I didn't say that all happy DnB is clownstep.

Just one thing to remember kids... clownstep is a VERY SENSITIVE ISSUE. :D

fuck knows where clownstep originated.. i thought itb ws simply a put down term for the bodyrock esque stuff...

dont really mind it myself....

to be honest classifying drumn n bass is a waste of time.. and pointless...it just breeds narrowmindedness,. i mean 'neurofunk'.. 'darkstep' 'clownstep'... come on...! its all dnb mate! dont worry urself!

Back
Top Bottom