Newbie help please

ollie_rapture

Hi i found this site browsing around and it looks preety good so i thought i'd join up! Basically i wanna start producing my own dnb but i'm unsure how to set up my gear, i have:
pc, 1.2ghz processor, 1 gig ram, big hd etc
korg electribe esx (still learning the damn thing!)
a midi controller keyboard
cubase sx, reason 3 (havent installed them yet)
korg kaoss pad 2
and i've ordered a delta 66 sound card

Any help on setting this lot up to work together and getting started would be great as i'm not familiar with production since fast tracker about 6 years ago!
Cheers

Your processor seems quite slow, mines 1.5GHz and I have problems sometimes, though it'll run Reason okish.

I suggest you start by learning how to do stuff in Reason to begin with, read stuff online, search for tutorials and try stuff out (also read the help file). It's the easiest program to learn and after a while you'll learn what things do so when you move on to other stuff like Cubase you'll at least know roughly what you want to do.

Also go through the manual of the Electribe thingy and see if you can work that out, though I don't know how that will compare to Reason, I've never used 1.

You can use the MIDI keyboard with Reason and when you get the new soundcard you'll be able to plug the Kaoss pad in and use that too.

If you decide to start with Reason I'll try and answer any further questions you have if (and when) you get stuck, as I know it pretty well, just add them to this thread.

thanks mate i'l see how i get on may have to see if i can upgrade the processor if i have problems, reason looks pretty complicated but i'm willing to learn, gonna fit the soundcard 2morro when my usb midi interface comes too

first off install sx (ffs) then get kontakt 2, start collecting samples, read the kontakt manual, get some nice rare drum breaks.....get some inspiration and practise practise practise, it will take years...good luck, and dont ever give up

Dood. Ur processor is ok for now. I have a 1.5ghz AMD Athlon 1700XP+ and it runs SX jus fine. Runs into issues here 'n there when tryin to calculate liek 5 reverbs, but it renders them ok. I am only runnin 512MB ram too. Need to upgrade, but I can't be bothered till I upgrade my mobo. I am not payin damn near double for DDR cos its the older kind. If you want to get into producing and have an edge on these other producers out there, I suggest getting a soft-synth and learning synthesis. Make your own sounds and use those in K2. Don't worry so much about findin samples of sounds that other ppl have made over the years. Its cool to do this sometimes, but not all the time. I realize it is sample based music, but the ppl that shine thru IMO use soft synths, not samples. Oh yah I forgot. I'm runnin an E-MU 1212m btw. The best soundcard I've owned yet. I'm not sayin its the best card around ( everyone knows that MOTU pwnz ), but it is the best one I have owned. I had a Delta 66, and this card pwnz it.

Hope this helps.

(y)

Back
Top Bottom