Newbie Help: Good Software for Mixing Music?

Discussion in 'Production' started by BENBOB, Aug 1, 2010.

1. BENBOB

BENBOB New Member

Hi,

I make occasional videos for YouTube which usually feature several songs as the background music.

At the moment I just use simple crossfades in Sony Vegas Pro (primarily video editing software) to blend the two tracks together, but naturally this doesnt always sound too great!

So was wondering if someone could please recommend better software to mix and cut music more professionally? With features such as beat matching etc. Dont need anything too flashy or complicated to use! Though eventually Id like to try creating a new song out of parts of several others all seamlessly mixed together like you hear on the radio sometimes!

Googling Ive come across; Tracktor Pro, Atomix Virtual DJ Pro and Mixmeister Fusion, but these sound more like they are aimed at DJs playing live performances?

Many Thanks.

2. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

http://www.virtualdj.com/

download the demo of that and see if it is what you want.

traktor is mostly used with designated hardware, so probably isn't what you want i suspect, and i don't know about the others.

hope that helps

3. BENBOB

BENBOB New Member

Cheers for the reply I'll definitely look into it. :)

Although looking at their website, isnt it really designed for DJs giving live performances creating effects loops etc as they go? Rather than composing a mix of tracks for a video?

Can you move and cut sections of the waveforms around etc to build up a full timeline? Apologises if I didnt make it clear what I wanted to do.

4. cbfb

cbfb New Member

If you want to beatmatch live virtualdj is the way to go (although I don't get on well with it just using it on the computer, can't afford traktor/serrato/etc at the mo)

If you want to actually edit lumps of music together to form a single WAV file you're gonna need some sort of DAW. Audacity is easy as to learn, Reaper is a bit more complicated but does more. Both are free (well Reaper actually has an unlimited demo but you're supposed to buy a licence eventually). Bear in mind you're gonna have to stretch the samples so they're running at the same speed before you try to join them together. Personally I would go with Reaper for this, really easy to crossfade samples together and if you set the BPM of your project you can see exactly where the beats match up.