DnB New WIP. Want some tips so I can take this one in the right direction!

parsons19

VIP Junglist
Howdy guys,

you may have seen my recent thread in the production section, if not, I have been working with/on breaks recently and really trying to get my drums sounding cool. I also whacked Sub Bass under there, don't know if thats being picked up on monitors?

So, let me know what you think of my efforts there but feel free to tell me anything you want really! Note that I haven't even tried mixing or mastering this track and there are no effects or EQ (apart from on the breaks of course), etc. Think this one has potential to be one of my better attempts at D&B so want to get it going in the right direction.

Just want to add to that I am going to mix up the kicks to give them a bit more variety and have more of a build up before the percs drop out too...

Please listen to the whole track if you have the time and let me know what you think :)

Jordan

Of course link me to some stuff if you are after feedback yourself!

Last edited:
You'll want to subtractive EQ that bass drone in the 100-300Hz region. Or maybe just bring the overall volume down. It's nice to have it rich and warm like you do, but bringing it down a notch will let you get more volume from all the other elements.

I'd leave everything but the drums well alone and make this an experiment in writing CRAZY breakbeat riffs - like hardly any repetition and plenty of stutter/glitches (32nd notes, 64th notes, 16th note triplets, the whole works. You should consider layering a classic breakbeat (read: Amen) in there for "fill" material. You know, the boom tsit cha tsi- cha-boop-uh-ta-cha sit. If you do that all the way to the end of the track then you can listen back and choose one of your favorites to loop, cut and paste. With that kinda drone you'll want some subtle sidechain compression I think to get more presence from the kick and snare.

- J.P.

Well, I just think that you've created an awesome soundscape but it may not have enough variation to captivate a dance floor. That's where crazy amen breaks come in! And I mean it too, you'll hear people downplay the amen (I mean, who wants to hear it these days other than Luna-C? Kniteforce hooligans get a pass, each and every time!), but the fact is that if you've never chopped it and used it you're really missing out on a very significant part of jungle history/technique. I mean, it's been used in at least 10 million tracks, AFAIK.

Sweet, will have a play around :)

I also got a plugin called LiveCut (was recommended to me right here on dnbforum) and that can do some nuts stuff so I am sure I will use that at some point :D

Are they on your soundcloud ? :)

Also, unrelated really :lol: , is it you in the Mr Musicular D&B vid or does there just happen to be another Lucider? If it was you I really liked that tune man!

Yo !
I have some tips for you :) that's why i'm here. There is a frequency range in all instruments / sounds blabla called MUD. Even thinking about mud and you know you don't want that in your mix. There is a simple way to get rid of that. Attach an instance of EQ to the bass and sweep around 300 - 350 Hz. You will notice if u raise that part of the frequency your bass will begin to sound even more muddy. Well u have to lose that frequency part and your bass will look more cleaner.
Also if you want some resonance it's somewhere close , at about 600Hz I think or something like that. Gives a nice tone if the bass is to subby :)
Also you have to turn the volume of the bass and try to watch some sidechain compression tutorials for the kick and bass. when the kick will hit, the bass will duck in volume , creating more space for the kick so it will be audible .
Also try to compress sounds, this way hits will be more powerfull , snare will be snappy, everything will sound better :)

Hope this will help you , ask me if you want to know more stuff :)

Oh man! Where's this video at? He asked my permission and I said something like "free download, free promotion, yes please ;)"

But he didn't tell me he posted it, that was fast.

Thanks,
J.P.

Haha, he messages a load of people I reckon! I even got a message! :lol: ummm, I am on my phone right now but if you search "Mr Musicular" on youtube the videos showed up :)

Back
Top Bottom