DnB New WIP feedback welcomed. Dark style tune

Anyone? Would like to get this finished later but have serious monitoring issues, would really appreciate some feedback on the how the levels sound. I think the reese needs nudging louder and the sub a bit quieter?

Very nice although the arp lead isnt my thing, if i were to say anything id keep it but focus on the darkness in the background and drown the arp a little. Sub bass on the second half in particular (the more playfull and complex bass) is lacking aswell but this and the other track you have on here are both really good.

I reckon the levels on the bass change a little throughout actually? I would try smashing it with a limiter and eq again then see if you can normalize them a bit and figure out whats drowning them out. My mastering knowledge is limited though so pinch of salt there.

Nice interest in your tracks aswell and im liking the oldschool sound.

Very nice although the arp lead isnt my thing, if i were to say anything id keep it but focus on the darkness in the background and drown the arp a little. Sub bass on the second half in particular (the more playfull and complex bass) is lacking aswell but this and the other track you have on here are both really good.

I reckon the levels on the bass change a little throughout actually? I would try smashing it with a limiter and eq again then see if you can normalize them a bit and figure out whats drowning them out. My mastering knowledge is limited though so pinch of salt there.

Nice interest in your tracks aswell and im liking the oldschool sound.

Thanks man, some really useful feedback. Just to clarify - what you call arp is what I call reese? I can't quite figure out what is going on with the bass and why it isn't more bold / crisp. I will try your tips and see if I can clean it up!

Nah i mean the playfull lead synth that comes in at 0.11 feels like an arpeggiator to me. Its fine but i just think its a little distracting from the goodies going on in the background.

Interesting. That's a really good point about that part. Might try and write a more fitting part there or, if I can't create something better just dip it down a bit. Thanks again

I noticed that some producers when having issues with a sound being quieter in different sections will bounce that sound to audio just to make sure its normalised in this instance the bass... Then if theres differences in the volume of the wave form they actually just push the gain on that note or for this it might help with your quieter sub bass sections. No worries glad to help.

Sorry but what do you mean exactly by bouncing sound to audio? I really need to get some monitors as the bass sounds too loud on my headphones lol (It's my headphones that are the problem, really clean sound but not representative ) :-/

Last edited:
Way i would bounce to audio is get a new audio track and route my original synth into new audio. So now i have a clean representaion of whats going on in my synth but im not just relying on the EQ i can actually see the waveforms. If the wave form looks thin anywhere ill boost audio a little.

I think theyre serving you reasonably well, i dont hear massive issues with bass apart from the change in volume.

i gotta e honest brother i feel like i'm listening to 2 songs being mixed together by a dJ... I like all the ideas you have going on, the bassline is reminiscent of old skool RAM stuff, but the drums are more Metalheadz if you understand what I mean. Like I said, I really like your ideas in this tune but I don't feel they are fitting together well.

Re: point 1 - don't worry, the task here was to make a track like this. . . not my style at all and will be back soon with something a bit more "me" :2thumbs:

Re: point 2 - interesting. I see what you mean...I think it relates to "point 1", trying to do one thing but being intrinsically pulled toward something else :-/

More importantly though - how's the mixdown? I think that's where my learning is at the mo. I THINK the elements (ignoring point "2") are decently balanced through the tune??

Thanks again bro :)

Back
Top Bottom