new Uk laws

mesh

VIP Junglist
Whats up UK heads, I read today that your govt has amended the 1994 criminal Justice bill to say rave is now anything outdoors with 20 people (down from 100) is a rave and illegal. Are people kicking up a fuss, does it affect you and your scene ?
How much does this piss you off or don't you give a fuck?

Just curious, cos as bastard as our lot are, UK and US seem to be cracking down pretty harshly, yet again. US heads please chime in cos I wanna know how you deal with it.

And this at the same time you liberalise weed laws ... which is good.

:mr_cool:

Good questions and points.

Here, the Rave Act is one of several principle reasons (economic climate and a tough draw due to subdued interest in dance music being others) that the party scene has gone relatively quiet. Though the Rave Act can be worked around with good planning, marketing, and legal advice, most promoters aren't willing to take the risk and venture the capital required to get the kind of venue, sound, and talent that they would need to even break even. Clubs nights are much more popular than before as a result.

Other thoughts?

Ah I though club nights fell under the RAVE act purview, or is it just harder to enforce in clubs?

:twitch:

doesn't really effect us, we just organise bigger ones so the police are too under-resourced to do anything about it :)

suppose it depends where you are really, they never find the illegels i go to :rofl:

Last year me an ma cru went to plenty of Illegal parties - an the ol' Bill turned up at half of em, some patrols turned round the moment they arrived, others got outta there police cars an had a 'friendly chat' to ravers, but Ive only seen a system get shut down once - an that was the one were were playing on!

As Klusta said - if the massive are that strong, they cant do a thing.

Any law that is implemented with regards to raving (that has be campaigned by some fifty-something year old who has no idea what raving is) is just to prevent like-minded people meeting up in mass numbers - which scares them shitless!!.

There will always be 'Illegal' activities in the eyes of the law going on at raves, its jus the ravers who make the choice to be deemed as 'criminals' or not :P

The rave laws don't affect clubs in licensed venues. Clubs come under the local licensing laws.

There are so many illegal parties going on, the cops don't really bother anymore, they've got too much real crime to deal with.

The days of cops confiscating sound systems and riot cops trying to close parties down by force are a thing of the past really.

In years of going to London parties, the only cops I've ever seen, have been there politely asking for systems to be turned down, (when the parties are in residential areas), or trying to arrange for a finishing time to be argreed, or ironically, trying to help if there have been any incidents inside, (robberies or stabbings or whatever).

I know of people who've run systems for years without any direct police troubles, as long as people don't take the piss...

I think changing the law is to give them more powers to shut down raves earlier, when the first 20 people arrive, rather than waiting for 100, when it's gonna be much harder to close down. I don't think it'll make any real difference to anyone.

They've already got so many laws in place, even attempting to find an illegal party, or distributing info about events, is already a crime and has been for some years.

The illegal soundsystem culture is just too well established for too long, they've had their run-ins and have had their legal advice and know the law at least as well as the cops.

:shrug: :lighter:

D BREAKNECK said:
The rave laws don't affect clubs in licensed venues. Clubs come under the local licensing laws.
The illegal soundsystem culture is just too well established for too long, they've had their run-ins and have had their legal advice and know the law at least as well as the cops.

:shrug: :lighter:

I was talking about the RAVE (ridiculous acronyms versus ecstasy) laws in the US in that example. I think they affect clubs too ..

The rest of that was interesting, thanks. Didnt know its a crime to try to find a rave ! I guess its good there isnt a barrage on this thread, shows people are getting on with it, and like you say cops have real crime to deal with.

all right !! :miss_rep: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else from the US ?

I didn't think we had those "raves" in the united states anymore? At least I don't pay attention to it these days. I thought they stopped all together untill I went to a record store this past fall and saw some gaudy fliers advertisting Bad Boy Bill, Frankie Bones, and Stacy Pullen. So I guess they actually still happen, and still with talent that I don't care to see.

Theres going to be an event in NYC this March 11th which is on a Thrusday (god damn it) that features Grooverider, DJ SS, and some other people. I would like to go but it doesn't seem likely.

yeah theres still some outdoor parties goin on and believe it or not with some good dnb/jungle talent not jus frankie bones an all dem.and yes most parties have gone to venues because of the RAVE act but there hasnt been any enforcement.......yet.

The last ilegal i went to was in toaster and they were running a 20k rig. The police chopper turned up (at which point the numbers where building) flew around and fucked off . The police never even turned up. Safety in numbers?? But yet again stomping tunes and good talent still out there in the "ilegal" scene.
:rave:

Back
Top Bottom