new track - Palladium - opinions?

djdizzy

this is a song i originally made 3 years ago and thought it had potential but wasn't happy with it. i've redone it 4 times over the past 3 years and am wondering what other people think of it. it builds and changes melodies so you have to be patient with it, the song is intended to be that way. whether that's a good thing or not, i don't know. i've remade this song so many times that i don't even know what sounds good anymore lol. i have friends telling me opposing things when i ask their opinion, some prefer a certain way i went with a certain version of this song, others prefer a different direction i went on a different version of the song.

i won't post up all 4 versions, i'll just post the latest in hopes you guys can help provide some feedback.

Last edited:
The track is nice and sounds like it has potential but you just can't quite deliver it' s full potential. I always have that problem.
The drums are good, but I think the ride could be used less. The synths are cool but they seem to be lacking a full richness. The bass is there but seems to be lacking.
Any chance @djdizzy you could link me the other three tracks I am curious to listen to them.

after reading your reply i definitely agree with everything you said, they're all things that i definitely recognize now that you pointed them out. thanks!

i just uploaded the other 3 versions to my hulkshare account. all of them are WIP's so they're far from perfect. version 1 is really simple, a supersaw layered over a midrange. but i felt like the song could have an anthemic sound to it if i try different chords and different sounds, embellish the song a bit, the potential was there.

version 2 - i did this one 2 years ago, first attempt at remaking it. the vocals are still very rough because i abandoned that version before i got any further because i realized that between vocals, supersaw, NI Massive midrange - there was too much going on in the same spot and it wasn't going to work as i had planned.

version 3 is very similar to version 4 except no supersaws, i had a virus midrange layered with a midrange from my Pulse 2, to make it a slightly more aggressive/electric sound. also threw in an arpeggio in the background, added the half-time phases at the end of the first and second half of the song, added the catchy square-based counter melodies (one pops up in the first half, the other in the second half, same as in version 4). it's funny, everyone's favorite part of the song are those 2 little riffs i just slapped in there. the rest of the song i'd been work on forever and it's "eh" in their opinion compared to those little counter melody bits i made rather quickly one night lol. you can't win sometimes! i can't remember if i did LCR mixing on v3 like i did on v4.

version 4 i got rid of the arp, added the rides, replaced the Pulse 2 + Virus midrange layering with a new Virus midrange i made one night. then i went back to using supersaws with the new virus midrange and tried using LCR mixing. the midrange in the center. the supersaws at the sides - i duplicated, mono'ed, hard-panned the supersaw lead to L and R, then a 15-ms delay with one of the panned supersaws for the impression of more width. tried to give the 'catchy' square-based counter melodies more of a hollow sound than in v3.

v1: http://www.hulkshare.com/csnurl33o7b4
v2: http://www.hulkshare.com/dwkhzx2k0o3k
v3: http://www.hulkshare.com/osr5vksgvnr4

after reading your reply i definitely agree with everything you said, they're all things that i definitely recognize now that you pointed them out. thanks!

i just uploaded the other 3 versions to my hulkshare account. all of them are WIP's so they're far from perfect. version 1 is really simple, a supersaw layered over a midrange. but i felt like the song could have an anthemic sound to it if i try different chords and different sounds, embellish the song a bit, the potential was there.

version 2 - i did this one 2 years ago, first attempt at remaking it. the vocals are still very rough because i abandoned that version before i got any further because i realized that between vocals, supersaw, NI Massive midrange - there was too much going on in the same spot and it wasn't going to work as i had planned.

version 3 is very similar to version 4 except no supersaws, i had a virus midrange layered with a midrange from my Pulse 2, to make it a slightly more aggressive/electric sound. also threw in an arpeggio in the background, added the half-time phases at the end of the first and second half of the song, added the catchy square-based counter melodies (one pops up in the first half, the other in the second half, same as in version 4). it's funny, everyone's favorite part of the song are those 2 little riffs i just slapped in there. the rest of the song i'd been work on forever and it's "eh" in their opinion compared to those little counter melody bits i made rather quickly one night lol. you can't win sometimes! i can't remember if i did LCR mixing on v3 like i did on v4.

version 4 i got rid of the arp, added the rides, replaced the Pulse 2 + Virus midrange layering with a new Virus midrange i made one night. then i went back to using supersaws with the new virus midrange and tried using LCR mixing. the midrange in the center. the supersaws at the sides - i duplicated, mono'ed, hard-panned the supersaw lead to L and R, then a 15-ms delay with one of the panned supersaws for the impression of more width. tried to give the 'catchy' square-based counter melodies more of a hollow sound than in v3.

v1: http://www.hulkshare.com/csnurl33o7b4
v2: http://www.hulkshare.com/dwkhzx2k0o3k
v3: http://www.hulkshare.com/osr5vksgvnr4
Sorry man, give me a moment. I listen to the tracks but I need more time to write better feedback.

Ok, so I think you should bring the think break back in and layer it into your kick and snare. Save the heavy ride for like a b-line to add change and structure. In your second version you have a nice dirty top bass layer that back in at times to make the song more bass oriented if only for a section. Also, try and separate some of your synth tracks into separate channels. Give these separate channels delay, and reverb. Play around with it too, it should fatten them yup with some work.
@djdizzy

thanks for the feedback, i definitely needed that.

in version 4 the midrange bass is stays constant throughout the entire time that drums are going, alot of sustained notes. it just has some modulations that change it up but its the same bass sound in part 1 as part 2. the lead is 2 different supersaws which are their own tracks, so those 2 tracks were duplicated into 4 tracks, mono'ed then panned hard-left and hard-right to free up midrange frequencies in the center for that midrange bass that stays constant. i'll play around with reverb and delay on those supersaws though.

i had a few questions since i've gone completely tone deaf / burned out with this song.
-do you think the midrange bass needs to be fattened up too or just the supersaws? i know the general idea is to choose one thing to beef up and let that sound be the main focus of the song, with everything else backing it up. so i'm torn whether to make the focus on the bass or supersaws because the supersaws are only present during the buildup and 1st phrase when the drums kick in, whereas the bass is present through the bulk of the song.
-should i keep the supersaws or should i experiment with different sounds altogether for the lead?
-another question since you've heard all 4 versions is should i stick with the key/chords i'm using in versions 2-4 (more upbeat/energetic IMO) or go back to version 1 which is in a different key?

Last edited:
I think you should keep the same key as the fourth song. The mid range bass needs to be fatten up but the super saw should stay too. The key is to structure the track so they don't play at the same time. Find a cool way of playing the first lead on the drop, then a cool bass big bass on the b line to get the track rolling. Then maybe bring in the second lead on top of the heavier bass b line. You have a ton of options, and I think variety and good placement is what will make this track awesome.

Back
Top Bottom