New to production need midi controller and sound card for under £500 for both?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Snipaz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Snipaz

Snipaz I've been naughty, I'm banned

Ello Peeps, im new to all this production lark, got a few pocket fulls to burn so was wondering. what sound card for under £250 you would get and likewise a midi controller for under £250 also, ive been told Terratec or summin like that but they all look pants ( ie cheap as hell ) i want quality from the start

any help would be massive :boxing:

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

thats a lot of money to spend but get a soundcard with lots of analog ins and outs, a desk to run them into and a controller with 2 octaves on it, less you feel you need more of course. you can do this for about 100 less than you even intended to spend

3. Snipaz

yeah thats all good but id like some makes and models of both if anyone could provide that, thanks for your response tho bud. :)

4. MARLZTAH

MARLZTAH ++DuB PrOFesSoR++

for £250 theres a few really good keyboards you can get.... the Akai MPK49 is one worth looking at... also theres the M-audio Axiom (which is a fair bit cheaper)

as for soundcards, theres loads of brands to look at.... Terratec doesnt exactly spriong to mind....... Edirol/Roland, M-audio, Presonus, Tapco/Mackie are a few of the top of my head worth looking at....... you should probably ask gordo though.... he seems to have much knowledge in this area ;)

5. LineOne

LineOne The Cubase Man

google maudio m8. wicked suff and not expensive.

6. Snipaz

Yeah i think im going to go M-audio, got some good sound cards and controllers, thanks all for your help

peace!

7. pharmatic

pharmatic New Member

you should check out the edirol ua-25 interface. its pretty decent, imo one of the best interfaces in that pricerange. midicontroller: the novation remote sl is worth a look (a bit pricey but solid as fuck, and i love that automap feature)

8. pharmatic

pharmatic New Member

----------------------------
    €dit: make up your mind about what you expect from your gear.
    usb or firewire interface? do you need multiple i/o's? do you want to record stuff with a mic (therefore needing a decent preamp)? should it be portable (psu or usb powered)?

2,4, 6 or 8 octaves on your keyboard? how many/which kind of controllers would you like (knobs, faders, drumpads)

just try to avoid buying stuff you dont need/stuff that doesnot fit you. saves lots of money.:)