New to producing dnb

Dosage

Sup, well ill get to the point. I want to start producing dnb but don't really know where to start. Ive been producing hip hop for about the past 2 years, and i know this may seem like a dumb question but what im looking for is maybe a general outline of what goes into making a dnb song. Whats the usual tempo, are there sub-genres, what's the common piece of hardware/software for dnb production. I tried making some before but im never able to emulate alot of the drum patterns I commonly hear in dnb.... so i must be doing something wrong. Also if anyone knows of any other helpful sites or forums id be great if you could list them. Thanks. Peace.

Dosage said:
Sup, well ill get to the point. I want to start producing dnb but don't really know where to start. Ive been producing hip hop for about the past 2 years, and i know this may seem like a dumb question but what im looking for is maybe a general outline of what goes into making a dnb song. Whats the usual tempo, are there sub-genres, what's the common piece of hardware/software for dnb production. I tried making some before but im never able to emulate alot of the drum patterns I commonly hear in dnb.... so i must be doing something wrong. Also if anyone knows of any other helpful sites or forums id be great if you could list them. Thanks. Peace.

Hiya Dude,

Right - BPM = 170-180 - but course you can higher/lower. Normally 'unstraight snares' (i.e not on 2 and 4) I put faster.

Sub-genres - of course - every person who makes DNB has there own sub-genres.

Software/Hardware - there isnt really a standard. Its what you can get a sound of. I am guessing you have already mastered a Sequencer (LOGIC!!) - so now just get some plugins.

Recommend:

Absynth
FM7
z3ta+
Albino
Linplug RMIV
Junglist
V-Station
Rhino
Reaktor 4

If your using Logic use the EXS24 MKII - or just get Kontakt/Halion 2.

I dont use hardware - but I find alot of people recommending the EMU e6400 Ultra Sampler.

Drum beats are a piss. Not sure what your using - but I use the Matrix Editior to lay down the beats.

Ill post a screenshot of the Matrix editior with just a simple beat when I get time.

Cheers,

Michael

another quick way to get started is to throw down a break loop; an 'amen' or 'hotpants' at around 170 (this gives you a nice foundation to build upon. you can layer up to 4 break loops. just make sure you don't hear any 'slap' when snares from different loops hit at the same time. recycle, or better yet, phatmatikpro is excellent for chopping up break loops). add a baseline rolling underneath at halftime. think like a nice dub or raggae bassline; something that you can nod your head to or the ladies can swerve their hips to. use snares and hihats to add emphasis. booming 808's on the halftime.
i usually think of tracks consisting of four parts: the intro - build up a nice little rythm, the drop - let the bass hit 'em, the ride - bring it down, or twist it around for another drop, the outtro - ride it out.
it's purely math at that point. just make sure you're always working in 4,8,16,32 bars. that way it makes sense for the dj.
i know this is pretty vague, but there really are 'no' rules. just have fun experimenting with the beats.

hakthedj

check out www.spinwarp.com - In the tutorials section there is a "drum and bass production guide" that should address all the basics of DNB song structure - check out the other tutorials as well as they are pretty useful for n00bs. You may also want to drop by dogsonacid.com -> the grid and read the breaks sticky at the top of the page. This will give you an idea of commonly used breaks and song references to see how they have been cut and re-sequenced....good luck and happy producing :slayer:
-Distilled

Dogs on Acid is a good one,but also try DnB Scene,they also have a hub for producers thats packed full of tip n ting. Best of luck to ya,i'm in the same boat and i'm finding things tricky as fuck!
The most common thing i've been told is to just keep going.

Re: Re: New to producing dnb

FiqZ- said:
Hiya Dude,

Right - BPM = 170-180 - but course you can higher/lower. Normally 'unstraight snares' (i.e not on 2 and 4) I put faster.

Sub-genres - of course - every person who makes DNB has there own sub-genres.

Software/Hardware - there isnt really a standard. Its what you can get a sound of. I am guessing you have already mastered a Sequencer (LOGIC!!) - so now just get some plugins.

Recommend:

Absynth
FM7
z3ta+
Albino
Linplug RMIV
Junglist
V-Station
Rhino
Reaktor 4

If your using Logic use the EXS24 MKII - or just get Kontakt/Halion 2.

I dont use hardware - but I find alot of people recommending the EMU e6400 Ultra Sampler.

Drum beats are a piss. Not sure what your using - but I use the Matrix Editior to lay down the beats.

Ill post a screenshot of the Matrix editior with just a simple beat when I get time.

Cheers,

Michael

good advice man, and id be interested in seeing that screen shot at some point.

If your having trouble with beat patterns like amen breaks, input into the sequencer at half speed, then when it sounds ok speed it up to 170bpm. If you've been producing hip hop for a while, then all that drum and bass is, is double speed hip hop.

Back
Top Bottom