New to producing and IP.

Discussion in 'Production' started by DanDnB, Jul 31, 2009.

1. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

Hey guys,

Let's say you got a finished tune, or perhaps even an unfinished tune. You wanna let people hear it because you want some input.

How do you go about making it your official tune?

IP is intellectual property, and im just concerned that about someone taking my tune and claiming it for himself.

Sorry if this is a complete newb questions, I am new to producing. By the way I want you guys to hear my tune which is why i asked.

Thanks!

2. motion audio

motion audio Active Member

Burn a copy to CD, plonk it in jiffy bag with any details about the tune (like musical notation, lyrics etc) then send it by recorded delivery to yourself, getting the people at the post office to stamp and sign over the seal on the bag/envelope (sign it yourself aswel). When it comes in the post, leave it sealed and keep it in a secure place.

It wont stop people from pinching your tunes, but it will provide proof that it is yours, as the post office stamp will state the date you sealed and sent it.

Never send out full quality and or full length files of your tune, the majority of people will just be interested in helping you out or having a listen, but theres always someone about who'll try it on!

3. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

just upload a clip onto myspace or sumfin.

4. kama

kama benkama.net

I've never heard that mailing it to yourself thing has helped anyone, it seems like a presistent urban legend. Tho I've also never heard that it has hindered anyone.

Still, the safest way of preventing someone claiming your tune as their own is not to share it. in effect this translates to only presenting a streamable access to it. It is easy enough to record a stream, but mostly they are such low quality that I wouldn't worry about it.

When sending tunes to labels, do a little research of the label before sending. If something sounds dodgey, it probably is, so stay clear of those.

5. motion audio

Its not likely on its own to stand up in a massive court case, but someone pinching an unsigned tune or two from the internet and saying its theirs is probably not going to end up in a massive court case in the first place. Copyright for written material like music and lyrics (that are your own work) is something you have as soon as you've written it down, so its just something you can do to make sure you have proof of when you did it. If your making tune after tune and getting them out there then you'd want to go through the propper registrations etc to make sure you dont end up losing out but if your just starting out and sending out the odd tune here and there for advice and just want to be able to proove to someone its your work then its not a bad idea.

6. sook

sook Member

i dont know where you are from...
    but in Australia we have an organization
    called APRA (Australasian Preforming Rights
    Association)... who looks after delegation
    of royalties and tune licensing...

You can send a tune into them or some lyrics
    or anything really to have it registered as
    your property..... if a dispute was to ever occur
    you could contact APRA and could prove
    it to be your own work...

Its also handy because you can get
    royalties issued by letting them know anytime
    some of your material is played... Radio, TV, DJ-ed
    etc etc etc.....

Check out n see if there is a similar organization
    at your disposal...

7. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

I'll check it out dude. Cool that you guys have it, I am in south florida by the way.

On another note, if i dont let anyone listen to it than i will never get any input.

Thanks for the heads up.

8. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

If you are new to producing, the chances that anyone will want to steal your work is 0

9. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

Beginners and professionals alike have one thing in common and that is 'ideas'. All it takes is an idea and you can create revolutionary stuff, in that sense, music, art, technology all starts with an idea. And idea's don't take much to steal from, beginners and professionals alike.

10. Innovine

Innovine Active Member

It takes rather a large amount of work to turn ideas into something useful. you sound like every other pothead sitting on his sofa and having grand ideas. get real.

11. motion audio

Not being funny mate but theres no need for that

12. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

I have a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical and Materials Engineering. And 2 years experience designing and analyzing aerothermal and convection heat transfer processes in gas turbines and gasification plants. I'm only 25.

You don't know me or what I'm capable of.

On another note, I would rather not stoop down to your gutter level. So from now on, refrain from replying in any of my threads, I don't mean to be an ass. Alright guy?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  13. sook

sook Member

Not true at all...
    this have been proven to be
    wrong in the past by circumstance...

People have had there beats or ideas
    pilfered before as nobodies....

Protecting your Intellectual property is
    a really good idea.. as it doesn't cost
    you anything except a little of your time...

14. Person3

Person3 New Member

yeah, what Sook says is right - whether or not you have a collection agency in your country that you can register your IP with, you still have to protect it.

With IP it can only ever come to their word against yours because you're talking about the genesis of an idea and who's to say who thought it first?

Whether or not you put stuff in an envelope and post it to yourself (which is useful because it has a date put on it by the post office which is hard to forge), make sure you date all your work and save your files and put the copyright symbol on everything.

If it ever comes to a dispute, being able to show the creative process you went through in creating that work is what will win it.

15. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

This

b2b this

16. DanDnB

DanDnB Bass and Drums

Thanks for the advice folks.

17. deadaelus

deadaelus Laughter in the Slaughter

This is very important information, i have been told about this method before. And its much cheaper than goin and publishing the track independently. It will also stand up in court as long as you do not open it or tamper with it in any way.