New to Mixing, ONLY Vinyl

JLeemo

Basically ive been GAGGIN to get mixing for about 4 years now and have only just picked up my first set of turntables,
Stanton T62's + Gemini PS-02 USB Mixer

And a stack of vinyl. got a decent price off a mate,

Just got it all set up but just after some basic tips hints, any websites good for buying vinyl, Jungle/Ragga/Jumpup/dancefloor/grime Ect Ect.....

Any help or links/pointers would be ideal!

Wanted to learn the PROPPER way before turning to the times, Cdj's ... there next on the agenda once i get this down

Big up and thanks :)

discogs is good for buying second hand vinyl
this guy sells some bargains http://www.discogs.com/seller/tpl

other than that check out chemical / redeye / juno / surus

with regards to help. check out dj tutor on you tube for beatmatching guides.
then move on to learn proper eq but only once u have beatmatching down.
prepare to practise, enjoy urself

Thanks, ive been looking on Nu-Urban music so far as they seem to have a decent JumpUp/Jungle section for Vinyl,
Ive pretty much got the basics down through having a go when my mates have been playing but i really just wanted my own set up, and empty room, bit of green and i can sit and make my own mistakes!

I think practice is the best thing you can do!!! THe only thing ive ever been taught in DJing is how to count a bar, 1,2,3,4 drop 1,2,3,4 Drop and thats all i was shown!!! I mix for around 1-2 hours every day! Took about a year until i was able to do a 45min side TAPE (oldskool TDK's) Just learn how to beat match!! The is no way of teaching it!! As soon as you hear two beats click together you have cracked it!! Took me around 5 or 6 months to teach myself how to beat match!!

Its not gonna happen overnight dude! But keep at it and it will come. I been doing it for 15 years now and im still learning

Cheers, i suppose its like anything allways learning new things n all.... as i said ive got allot of mates that already have like nioghts on and stuff and have regular slots. aparently "ive got an ear for it " probably cos ive been listning to mixes for years n get the jist of it, but im just itchin to get goin now!
shud have it all sorted by monday, moved into a new place ect
Are you using cdjs or vinyl?

Two Technics 1210s, and a single Pioneer CDJ-800, so I have the option.

Enjoy mixing, learning on vinyl is the true path.

All the best on your vinyl conquest.

Best way to start IMO. it will drive you up the wall but perservere.
Took me nearly 2 years before I posted a mix that I was happy with.

Learning on vinyl is the way. I play on CDJ's now but its satisfying that I can still mix vinyl smoothly just riding the pitch if I want. Good luck! Persevere... It's worth it. :)

basically everythin everyone has just said is the reason why i started on vinyl before cracking onto the digital flex. the only thing that was swaying me toward cdjs as you said is due to the ease of getting tunes ect.... but there is nothing like mixiing on vinyl :) PLUS having an actual RECORD COLLECTION ! cant beat that !
Cheers fella's listened to some of the tunes on ur Sig's.. TeddyBizzle thats a wicked mix and Salvus well feelin that next level tune :)

This is no shit, your best bet is to lock yourself in your room for about a year and learn and practice.. Then you will be ready!

I am not bull shitting when i say that's what i did.. I would practice for 8 to 13 hours straight sometimes...

Another tip is as soon as you think you got it, start recording your mixes so you really know...

Hold tight my friend, the journey has begun!

I personally think so. My basslines always sound crisp, i get no pops or crackles from my vinyl, a lot depends on where you get your tunes from, i use beatport and itunes so most files are genrally great quality, and the tunes are cheaper. I spent £70 on Saturday and got 215 tunes which included most Ram EPS as i hadnt had the chance to collect them again since i strted rebuiling my set up. IT works less then 40p a tune.

I think it depends on a persons sound card too, im running on a brand new mac so my sound is really crisp!

I prefer it

the soundcards on the mackbooks aren't actually very good tho.
get a duet 2 and come back to me

This is a brand new mac with retina display, im not 100% sure what the sound card is but it sounds really nice. I mainly brought it for production purposes though and the reliability that it aint gonna crash during a set

Back
Top Bottom