New to mixing and stuff

Well thank's for the advice, and I really don't mind somebody disliking my music taste there are a lot of things people disagree with each other in life and sometimes it causes war.

I will still mix things that are fun to me and I don't bother if people dislike it, BUT as long as I don't know what to get since I'm a newb in djing I can't mix anything at all.

So please help me in picking a nice mixer, the Numark Total Control looks very nice, but I don't want to buy it if the majority here says it's shit or there's something better.

So please HELP ME!

Something just popped into my little brain here. You'd also need a soundcard with 2 outputs - 1 for the main mix (as in what the crowd hears) and 1 for the booth/headphones (what you hear). This means more $$$€€€£££. But for starting you can go with just 1 output but you'll be missing a lot of the fun. There is not much difference between these usb controllers, just get the one that you like and what suits your budget.

I use a Hercules RMX Console and it's really sweet. It's a two stereo channel soundcard, which also has two stereo inputs so you can connect CD players or a drum machine or something later on. Run it with Traktor 3 Pro and you can DJ the shit out of mp3s and get a good feel for whats going on. It's usb powered too, so I can just whip this out with my laptop anywhere.

These digital controllers are not going to let you beat match manually, they are too imprecise for that, but you can just hit the Sync button and your tracks will line up and be synced automatically. Most vinyl DJs get pissed off at this cos their years of practice is now replaced with just a button, but another way of looking at it is that it frees you up to focus a lot more on song selection, live effects, creative looping and remixing of the tracks and so on. You'll still learn all the stuff with the mixer controls just the same as with a hardware mixer.

www.djtechtools.com is a good place to see what people are doing with the latest digital controller gear. If you wanna learn about the old vinyl technique, go google it, there's tons of resources.

QUOTE: These digital controllers are not going to let you beat match manually, they are too imprecise for that, but you can just hit the Sync button and your tracks will line up and be synced automatically. Most vinyl DJs get pissed off at this cos their years of practice is now replaced with just a button, but another way of looking at it is that it frees you up to focus a lot more on song selection, live effects, creative looping and remixing of the tracks and so on. You'll still learn all the stuff with the mixer controls just the same as with a hardware mixer.

REPLY: Where's the fun in mixing if the beats are lined up, that is the core of the mix man. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

REPLY: Where's the fun in mixing if the beats are lined up, that is the core of the mix man. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, I mostly mix minimal techno, not dnb, but the process is much the same- I find there's a lot more fun to be had in layering up different parts of tracks, getting them into loops, jumping between cuepoints to do beat-juggling tricks, mixing with EQ, adding beatmashing fx and delays and recording these changes to new loops, and so on. I take small pieces of two (sometimes three or four) tracks and rearrange them live. I also play with a sampler/drum machine in sync with the mix. It's live remixing rather than just playing two tracks at the same time, where's the creativity in that?

Ok, so its just different strokes for different folks, I know. Removing the fun in beatmatching just puts the fun somewhere else. Just thought I'd add an alternative to the vinyl mixing suggestions that have come up.

Possibly the most level-headed pendulum fan I've ever known of! Most people are like "WOT DA FUK PENDULUM R SIIIIIIIIIIIIK DNB 4 LYF TARAAAANSHOOLAAAAAAHHHHHHH WHOB WHOB WHOB I LUV THAT NU 1 WIV DA GUITARZ AND AUSSIE MAN VOCALS LOL" A girl at my uni loves pendulum and when I said I didn't like them, she was like "JUST COZ DERE MAINSTREEEEEM!? YOU HATE A BAND COZ THEY BECOME FAMOUS, ITZ STUPID" No, I hate them because they don't make good music IMO. Even danny byrd agreed when he came to mine for a cuppa (no word of a lie).

Some tunes on hold your colour aren't bad, but for the most part they suck everything that's interesting out of a genre, batter it like a cod and release it into the charts. Not a fan personally, but fair enough, everyone has different tastes and i'd be a knobend if I was like "listen to bassdrive.com and you'll hear good music, AKA music I like". Bit arrogant really. God I'm contradicting myself.. aaagh!

Aaaaaaaanyway, it has to be vinyl. Once you get a nice set of decks and buy some vinyl, it'll become an obsession. It's such a nice feeling being able to physically move a song back and forth, play it at different speeds, actually see the structure of the song in the darkness of the grooves. And it's just a very simple, no-hassle way of DJing. I think MP3 and CDJ decks have their benefits, but they're a bit soulless.

But yeah, I have Numark TT1650s and a Numark DM1002MKII mixer which came to around £370 from decks.co.uk with some crappy Ion speakers and all the other stuff that comes with it. Not a high-end setup but it works well. But make sure you get direct drive turntables, and from experience try to stay away from Citronic. The DM1002MKII is a really nice little 2-band mixer. The crossfader's a bit shit on it, but I love it. And if you do get vinyl decks, please buy the masterplan part 2. It's fucking good.

Back
Top Bottom