New to mixing and stuff

Vivoiteltaan

Al Capone
Hey guys,
I listened to house/dnb music my whole life and I've always loveeeedd it!

Now it's time for me to start getting in to making my own mixes, but I have to be honest here: I don't have a lot of experience with any of this.
Be it mixing/producing or anything like that.

For example Pendulum is an amaaaazing band, that is exactly my type of music!

I see vids of people with equipment like THIS one for example and I love it or this ONE is fantastic too. I want to do something similair and if you can help me in approaching this, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!!!

So is there a good way to start out for me?
Any Equipment/Programs/Tutorial-Tips are as I said already GREATLY appreciated!

:not_worth Thanks

Last edited:
I guess first thing you could do i start buying tunes basically. Mixing mp3's will be a cheap way to start. Browse a little chemical records, juno, beatport, whatever and get a few tunes that catch your fancy, then start mixing them together with something like this: http://www.numark.com/totalcontrol.

That's a good first touch to mixing I think, and cheap compared to buying technics and a mixer plus a load of vinyl.

Okay thanks, I will try that and if it works well and is fun, I will ask you guys for tips to make some unique things.

Hey is there some site with a few nice Magix Music Maker 15 tutorials which I can look at?

Try youtube

But that ejay/magix type of thing is not healthy for you, not kosher at all. It's made of pre-made loops and melodies that sound good together no matter how you slap them together. Maybe you get the idea of making tunes from it but for fucks sake at least dont upload those "songs" here you'll be laughing stock for sure.

If you want to try it easy, download a demo of FLStudio and see how that goes for you. Lot's and lots of tutorials.

Go nuts.

i would bypass the MP3 thing first and get proper decks and buy vinyl. yeah you can do all that fancy stuff with the 'mp3 decks' n all, download your sub-standard recordings and off you go.......but did you learn anything about dee jaying?

not in my opinion no, theres nothing like using vinyl to mix with i dont care what anyone says - all the top boys still use it cos its still the best. the best set up would be:

2 or 3 record decks
1 mixer (one with USB if u wanna record sets straight into the computer)
1 or 2 CD decks

a decent amp and set of speakers of course

then you play it all!

music production is a far more involved and complex kettle of fish though!!!

2 or 3 record decks
1 or 2 CD decks

This = at least 2000€ if you can get a bargain somewhere

Mixing mp3's will be a cheap way to start
'

This = at least 200€ if you can get a bargain somewhere. though i just thought you'd need a mixer too, but that's still only 400€ together.

there's amp and speakers and mp3/vinyl to be added to both costs but if you know absolutely nothing about djing that's a good place to look. Mixing on software with midi is IMO the most cost-effective way to get a feel of it. If you do have mates to try vinyl mixing though you'll be hooked because its the real thing, just pretty steep cost wise.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemzino View Post
2 or 3 record decks
1 or 2 CD decks
This = at least 2000€ if you can get a bargain somewhere

of course, but as i said its the ideal, best one. i still reckon you should start with 2 decks and mixer whatever, and that doesnt have to be expensive:violin::violin:

Well now all the vinyls do cost some money and as a beginner I did not want to spend that amount of money, since I want to buy a new car soon.

I'd rather like to find out if it's for me and if it is then I can talk about that stuff.
Now is there a way to mix with a 'Machine' outside of the computer but just use mp3's?

greets

p.s. what do you think about Virtual DJ?

Doing things with just a mouse is just wank, dont do it, will totally ruin your want to learn any of that.

that piece of hardware in the link i posted for you has a similar prog (like virtual dj) bundled, you just control the software with that board with all the knobs n ting.

wouldnt know about something similar without a pc, sorry. there should be something like it but i think it will be a lot more expensive than software+controller.

Oh okay, I watched a few vids about the total control thing and it looks awesome, exactly what I was looking for.
Now is that the best thing for a beginner to get or is there something better?
Which mixer is the most popular one = Most Tuts for it too I suppose.

Thanx

Well I don't care about the Pendulum thing that much, my important question is:

Which Table should I get now (Not using Vinyls)?
Numark Total Control looks good, but is it what I should get?

greets

Well I don't care about the Pendulum thing that much, my important question is:

Which Table should I get now (Not using Vinyls)?
Numark Total Control looks good, but is it what I should get?

greets

If you're gonna start DJing you've gotta be motivated to stick at it, which is why its always worth investing in something okish to start with.

If you think you're gonna like it and wanna mix with mp3s id try save up and get some decent CD decks. If you get one of those table things im sure you'll be bored pretty quickly if you like mixing.

And the other thing, people on here know their shit and will help alot, but its your decision at the end of the day, you gotta choose what you want.

Back
Top Bottom