New to jungle

Hunger_force

West coast Suburbanite
Hi,
I just recently discovered jungle while watching ali g in da house wich happened to have "incredible" by M beats ft general levy on its soundtrack. When I heard it I fell in love immediately. My question is , does it classify as jungle and can anyone guide in the direction of some more of this kind of stuff.
thanks

ps: please forgive my lack of knowledge in this genre : p:tehpepsi:

haha! serious? must be on account of all that snow i guess.
anyway yes 'incredible' is inexorably jungle. for more of the same (its called raga jungle) check the other tunes by General Levy (sound basically the same) and then

Shy FX & UK Apache - Original Nuttah
Krome & Time - Ganjaman and the License
Marvellous Cain - Dub Plate Style (and their firin remix)
Babylon Cru - Press Up

and so forth.

Incredible is jungle but its also insulting to the old guard djs who will not play it. This sort of jungle and the gangster ragga set led to the dnb sound appearing.

If you want tracks like Incredible, you'll have to search around for <95 releases, jumpup hiphop tracks, Ganja Kru records or ragga jungle style releases.

the super sharp shooter ep (ganja kru) is a good one for embarking on a jungle/dnb foray...nice and jumpy/bassy...just what you need really i should think

i requested the fabio/grooverider sets from dreamscape 20 (mid '95) on backtotheoldskool.com the other week, as i'd lost my tapes over the years.

these sets are a great example of the rolling amens from 94, the emergence of the hardstep style in 95 and the more two step style that later appeared with tracks like pulp fiction in 96. get it if you can!

dnb nowadays has really changed from this older style, for better or worse is opinons only i think.

can i recommend another classic (although its not jump-up jungle) RAM TRILOGY -MOLTEN BEATS...it may sound a bit dated now but still gotta love it (particularly 'iron lung' and 'human future')...everybody should have a copy of this album (you know t makes sense)

Hunger_force said:
Hi,
I just recently discovered jungle while watching ali g in da house wich happened to have "incredible" by M beats ft general levy on its soundtrack. When I heard it I fell in love immediately. My question is , does it classify as jungle and can anyone guide in the direction of some more of this kind of stuff.
thanks

ps: please forgive my lack of knowledge in this genre : p:tehpepsi:

Some wicked ragga jungle mixes here - http://www.mrhaste.com/index.php?p=m

Also look out for any 93 - 95 sets from people like Mickey Finn, Darren Jay, Ron, Rap, Kenny Ken, Hype, JJ Frost - they all used to batter those kind of tunes :1:

sidekickmc said:
can i recommend another classic (although its not jump-up jungle) RAM TRILOGY -MOLTEN BEATS...it may sound a bit dated now but still gotta love it (particularly 'iron lung' and 'human future')...everybody should have a copy of this album (you know t makes sense)

you know it!!! 'chase scene' was a revelation for me. the entire album is amazing. but as you said its not raga jungle.

AK1200 - Lock & Roll
DJ Fury - [[Seclusion]]
Digital Empire Vol. 1: Drum And Bass
Drum & Bass Sessions (DJ Kontrol)
Fuck Your Style. Battle Drun & Bass Mix (R.A.W.)
Freaky Flow - The Envy
Freaky Flow - World Domination
Goldie - Incredible Sound Of Drum N Bass
King Of The Jungle Volume 3 (DJ Ruffstuff)
Kemistry & Storm - K7 mix
Ray Keith 'The Dark Soldier' - Sinister (Twisted Anger)
Real Vibes (DJ Hype & DJ Zinc)
DJ Rap & G Squad - Brave New World

mekim said:
for a n00b you sure a dumb shit.

do you know one of the names we use for young idiots over here is "yeti"?
jesus christ no need to take it so seriously i dont think he did, how can you be calling me a young idiot???

a really good mix CD is LTJ Bukem's Blue Notes of D&B. It has some old sounding stuff, and some really good jungle on it. including Peshay, Doc Scott, Makoto and John Beltran.

Back
Top Bottom