New to dnb

mihai_stefan

Hello, i'm new here on these forums :d

I am new to producing drum and bass music,I am using Fl studio 11 producer edition, can you please recommand me some vst-s for dnb? the net is full of them and i don't know what vst-s to learn and use.
Thanks a lot.

Welcome... I recommend you use the synths in FL studio, wait thats a lie i never liked them in 9 so yeah get Massive and mabye Serum if yourlooking for Synths.

I have FL 11 as well, and basically what manuforti said. But I would stick to the stock plugins. Fl has a pretty powerful synth, called Sytrus. Some of the nastier basses can be achieved using it and can get even more nasty if you combine the results with the resample abilities of Harmor (this one is paid, though)

If you stick with the FL stock synths for the moment once you have learned how things work you'll be able to judge much better whether you want more plugins and which one you want. You might also get slightly excited when people mention things like 'custom wavetables' or 'morphing filter with built-in distortion'

I wouldn't start with sytrus or harmor, I'd start with maybe poizone or sawer or wasp then move on once you know roughly how things work there.

Serum++
Harmor++
Biohazard++
Zeta+2++
Papen Predator RE++ (I have the Reason "RE" version; I'd imagine the VST is equally awesome)

I don't know about FL's included synths, but I know Reason has MORE than enough for someone just starting out. I can only assume that anything more than the bare bottom (fruity loop?) edition of FL would have enough to get you started. You need to understand how oscillators work, the three/four different waveforms (sine, triangle, square/pulse, tooth) and how they combine (e.g. supersaw, detune), you need to understand things like the difference between additive and subtractive synthesis, etc. All of this can be accomplished with either the synths that come with most DAWs, or also with a couple of free synths (pluginboutique.com has a whole section just on free stuff, also try varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/ for excellent free effects).

Sampling is also huge, especially if you prefer the "nasty" heavily-processed style of bass in DnB (e.g. Neuro). Massive is the classic go to for mashing up samples and sound generation, tho Serum has something going on, too. Papen also just did something, I think. But until you are already able to make basic growls, wubs, etc. with the synths + sampler that came with your system, don't bother shelling out the £100+ yet. I would also look into one tasty, fun, true analog synth (this means something independent, as I'm unaware of 100% analog synths designed to be plugged into a PCI-e slot). There are many good options for comparatively little money, though of course buying real physical gear will always cost more. I really like my Moog Minitaur, but here again, you should know enough about how synths work before you go shopping, so you already know what kind of synth would most appeal to you (the Minitaur cannot really do leads, for example; it's special "Taurus-style" filter has been limited by the factory because Moog doesn't feel it sounds good in the upper registers. For Bass-heavy genres like DnB and Psytrance, this issue doesn't bother me personally).

I'm not even signed or anything, so I'm sure people who are further along can help you even more. But just to get to the point of knowing what you don't know takes a lot of work and time. And time. And a bit more work. And some weed. And time.

Good luck; don't forget to post the occasional track in the subforum here.

I wouldn't start with sytrus or harmor, I'd start with maybe poizone or sawer or wasp then move on once you know roughly how things work there.
I think that you need to get used to these two more complicated synths, since you'll be using them a lot, specially in dnb. I went the same way you said when I started, and now I can't even sytrus myself. (do you even sytrus, bro?)

Thank you all for your answers :) i guess i'l start study some FL studio vst-s such as sytrus,harmor,poizone etc :D

Btw i forgot to mention that i wanna create liquid drum and bass but i guess these vst-s are for liquid aswell.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers :) i guess i'l start study some FL studio vst-s such as sytrus,harmor,poizone etc :D

Btw i forgot to mention that i wanna create liquid drum and bass but i guess these vst-s are for liquid aswell.
Pretty much yes. you can create any type of sound with them.

Back
Top Bottom