New to DnB

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by wilson89, Jun 23, 2012.

1. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

New to DnB (drum n bass - no name yet)

New updated version of the song

Old version

I've recently gotten interested into dnb after listening to a lot of the liquicity you tube channel and netksy. I've been making electro tracks for little while but I'm really new to drum n bass. I could do with some feedback on my track, i.e. am I missing out some real fundamentals? Or am I on the right track, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Very nice tune mate, can't see too much wrong with it tbh. Maybe the drop could have a bit more of a build-up or a silence part right before the drop, also the drums sound a tiny bit quiet to me, either that or the lead is a bit too loud. Needs and intro too, ubt yeah once you're finished you shall have a quality choon (y)

3. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

Thanks dude, i'll have a listen to the drums, I haven't got any monitors yet so I often get my mixes a bit wrong. as for intro and better build up, I agree, I really struggled to come up with something, so I'll give it another shot, thanks.

4. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Lisen to a lot of drum and bass, keep making tunes, there are a lot of good bits in this one.

5. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

Thanks, I've been listening to lots of drum and bass lately, but I'm really liking drum step, I'm not entirely sure if I've achieved that or if it's just drum n bass, but I play on going down the route.

6. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

if that's your first dnb tune, i look forward to hearing how you progress

7. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

Thanks man, it's actually my second, my first one is here http://bit.ly/LiYU82 I really had no idea what I was doing though, I just had a 174bpm drum loop and went for it. I feel like this one is a little bit more complex.

8. neddez

neddez Member

yeah man you're def on the right track

id say be careful when looking at other tracks to see how they do things, because your arrangement is a lot more interesting than most of the stuff on liquicity.

9. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

I've been listening to quite a bit of drum n bass, and started working on this song again, I tried to make the drums bigger and also give more high end to the chorus.

If anyone is interested here the new version

10. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

wow mate if this is one of your first tunes and u made all that melody yourself youve got a keen ear for dnb - the melody and arrangement is the shiz nit! love it - the only thing i found weird on the arrangement was the bit before the drop where that sort of rolling 'marching band' style snares came in cause it sounded asif there was a mistake - and theres some extra drum loops that were a little louder than your original loops - id bring all the drums up to match the volume of those loud hits because there really good drums but a little lost under that main synth - fuckin sick tune though and the second drop made my hair stand on end cant criticize there! im amateur too though i wouldnt take my comments on board so much haha

11. alcaponeuk

alcaponeuk Member

OH SHIT - bro i was listening to the old version, i just heard the new version and you ironed out everything i mentioned, banging mate i cant pick anything out i dont like on the new one haha

12. Fatkidscantjump

Fatkidscantjump Member

This is pretty nice, I like it so far. Really cool melody and arrangement.

Maybe add some high cymbals to fill up the high frequencies a bit ? And some build-ups effects like white noises risers etc.

I'm pretty much beginning too so i'm just telling you the first comments that comes through my mind when I listen, I'm by no means an expert so don't take it too seriously, just try if u have the time and will to do it, see what u can do with that.

Anyways keep it up, really good start !

cheers

13. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

Thanks man, appreciate you listening.

Yeah I used a sort of frequency field plugin and I noticed that the chorus was missing some high end, I tried giving the lead, drums, hi hats and even the bass more high end but I couldn't really get it to boost.

When you say cymbals, do you mean to higher end hi hat work? Or actually crash cymbals? Because I already have quite a few crashes in there, but can't seem to get them heard.

As for the build up effects, I'm working on that right now! Thanks dude.

14. Fatkidscantjump

Fatkidscantjump Member

I was more talkin about a ride cymbal, like the one in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azlD3GvWIzI&feature=related

At some point I had troubles with adding high frenquencies presences to my tracks, and well i still have troubles with that, as with a lot of other aspects in my productions since I'm still beginner, but anyways, I had a couple of drum and bass loops that had a lot of ride cymbal, I high passed it and it add a nice "fullness" to high frequencies, I mean obviously u would need to work on the high frequencies of every sound of your track, but i really like those kind of sound because they've like reverb but still got rythm and dont completely make ur track go PSHH PHSHH lol, i dont know if you see what a I mean.