DnB New To DNB Forum

DRWoof

Hey guys new to DNB forum, just wanted to introduce myself. Wondering how many of you use Reason to produce? Looking to advance my skillset in production. I'm fairly new to the game and eager to learn. If anyone has any tips for Reason or DNB production in general, I'm always looking for new approaches and techniques to add to my workflow. Cheers.

I assume you have the latest version, 7? Though, I guess the following advice is good for 6 as well:

Learn the mixing "console"—it has great EQ and compression tools. While I do agree you should shop around the Rack Extensions for EQs and Compressors, the "built-in" ones do the job 3/4ths of the time, in my experience.

Learn the combinator, and (at least the basics) of CV routing; these are some of the most powerful features of Reason.

Demo EVERY RE that has 5 stars, and don't be afraid of the 4 star ones, either. I'm not saying to buy them all (that's a personal call involving your taste, production style, and budget), but since it's free to use them for 30 days, DO IT. HOWEVER, only demo one or two at a time—demo too many at once and you'll likely end up neglecting one or two and then BOOM! time's up!

I really love Predator for DnB; it comes with two folders of presets just for DnB. Lots of people like Antidote as well (I keep meaning to get that, but something else always comes up).

Thanks for the reply! I am working on 7 as of a couple weeks ago, really digging it so far. I've done a bit of work with CV and combinators so far but nothing exstensive. Any tips for beginning to experiment with CV and Modulation Routing? Obviously to achieve mods from LFO to certain params etc. but are there any specific techniques that CV and mod matrixes can be used for?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply! I am working on 7 as of a couple weeks ago, really digging it so far. I've done a bit of work with CV and combinators so far but nothing exstensive. Any tips for beginning to experiment with CV and Modulation Routing? Obviously to achieve mods from LFO to certain params but are there any specific techniques that CV can be used for?

Also really digging that tune in your sig. nice work

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply! I am working on 7 as of a couple weeks ago, really digging it so far. I've done a bit of work with CV and combinators so far but nothing exstensive. Any tips for beginning to experiment with CV and Modulation Routing? Obviously to achieve mods from LFO to certain params but are there any specific techniques that CV can be used for?

Also really digging that tune in your sig. nice work

Welcome to the forum!

I don't personally use Reason. However, if there's one thing I've heard over and over from colleagues, it's to get to know the almighty Thor.

Welcome (y)

@lost what is it you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome to the forum!

I don't personally use Reason. However, if there's one thing I've heard over and over from colleagues, it's to get to know the almighty Thor.

Good point, I had neglected to mention that. The boyinaband.com tutorials actually have him doing lots with Thor, so that's one place to learn. Frankly, though, it would probably pay to read up a bit on synthesizers and waveforms, etc. first. Thor is quite powerful, and a bit complicated. :) I don't like the UI for the modulation matrix (it's tiny and fiddly), but that section is actually pretty powerful, especially since you can route signals through Thor from the back, etc. and control them through the matrix. It even has a step sequencer! :)

Welcome (y)

@lost what is it you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all. I wear a few different hats...

My primary job is being a dad for my 2 year old son and baby girl.

My 9 to 5 career is being graphic designer for an association here in the states.

My sidejob is DJing for private functions to help fund my music production habit and to help out my fam.

I also beta test software and–on very rare occasions–some hardware for a few different developers/companies. The pay is shit but I get lots of perks.

When I'm not doing any of the above, I'm trying to learn new things with regards to audio (either production, technology, technique, etc.).

And last–but definitely not least–I produce music with msmith222 under the Stepchild moniker.

I guess only thing I don't do much of currently is sleep. :)

My apologies if my use of the term "colleagues" above made me seem like a jet-flying, limousine riding superstar rubbing elbows with headliners. The colleagues I refer to are other producers I've chatted with (and have sometimes helped with their computer woes) either via twitter DM, Gchat, as well as some of the people I beta test for.

Cheers.

How do you get those beta test?

It started off by chance actually.

A particular company/developer had released a piece of software that worked in conjunction with its MIDI hardware. The problem was that it was full of bugs...some obvious, some not so much. I started off just sending them the bugs I found–specifically, I would video capture, take detailed notes to demonstrate how I would make the bugs occur. I would also analyze/submit crash reports and even provide them with some ideas. In turn, they would send me a new build, I would put it through its paces again and respond back with a report, etc. So basically, I started trying to assist the developer/company pro bono and was able to get my foot in the door, albeit a little bit.

They eventually provided me with some perks if I kept assisting them so I did. Once things got quiet, I would find another company/developer with some new software and repeated the process over–searched out for bugs and provided concrete evidence/instructions so that they could reenact the action the caused the error. At this point, I would inform them of my previous experience (after getting permission from the previous company so that I didn't violate NDA) and would see if they wanted me on board to lend a hand.

I've done this with several companies/developers. Sometimes (a lot of times) they won't be interested, but then there are the times where they are interested in having an outside source review their material.

Keep in mind, this is very low-level beta testing. I'm never on-site with the companies (most of them are in other countries or the other side of U.S.) nor am I given access to alpha/prototypes and I'm certainly not employed by them and therefore won't be credited for shit (which I give 0 fucks about). I've been lent some gear to test on 3 occasions, but was required to return it. The early beta-software is great, but more often than not it's quite time consuming because your goal is to try and "break" it. Once you've found a means to "break," you have to do so several times to ensure you've nailed down how to recreate it for the big guys.

TBH, I don't do it for the glory or for the perks (though they can be nice from time to time), moreso, I do it for companies/developers who's products I think have awesome potential and don't mind putting a little time into. Admittedly, it's been about 6 months or so since I've done any testing because my time has been stretched incredibly thin due to dealing with baby girl's health issues and essentially working two jobs while trying to squeeze in some studio time during the very late hours of the night.

Cheers.

Well, at Ableton they running the beta test of the 9.1.
It's quite fun tweaking around with the new features/tests.
Are u in it?

Back
Top Bottom