New to D&B

shiveringking8

Hey.

I'm fairly new to Drum & Bass. Anybody from Atlanta? They've got a great D&B show on 88.5 FM, that's where I've heard most of the stuff I know.

But I want to get myself some CDs. Got any suggestions for good stuff to start with? Could be classic, brand new, or a compilation, anything.

hello mate! welcome to the forums, do you have any kinda idea what style it is of dnb your into?? dark/jumpup/liquid/minimal??

Man, I wouldn't even know how to describe it. What do those sound like? I've got a couple recordings I made from the radio...how can I post a clip here so I can give examples as to what I like?

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Thanks for the suggestion J.M.--those sound really cool. I like Vol. 2 especially, the song Punisher is right along the lines of the kind of stuff I've heard and liked before.

Fabriclive.35 Mixed by Marcus Intalex <------------------------Liquid, soulful, vocal
Fabriclive.40 Mixed by Noisia <----------------------------------Dark, neurofunk, techy
Fabriclive.44 Mixed by Commix <--------------------------------Darker liquid, mix of styles
Fabriclive.50 Mixed by dBridge & Instra:Mental <--------------Minimal, experimental, soulful
Fabriclive.52 Mixed by Zero T <----------------------------------Darker 'liquid', slightly tech/hard sound

go through stuff like the nightlife compilation, also any of the dnbarena mixtapes.
then post here what the stuff you here is that you like.
then people can direct you to artists that go with your taste

yeah thats a good call...

hmm the punisher... maybe you might like

Simon & bassline Smith
DJ fresh
Sigma
and maybe a bit of subfocus/chase and status, i dont know.

and possibly the jump up subgenre.

thats all i can think right now actually lol

Download some mixes from the mixes forum on here, find a few artists you like and we should be able to come up with a list

Most of the mixes here are Jump-Up though.

Just go on YT and search for a Jump-Up mix, a Neurofunk mix, a Liquid mix, a dark dnb mix (or check out Dieselboy's Substance D album), a minimal dnb mix. Decide which one you liked best, go from there.

Heres a few diff styles that have recived good playings on me MP3

1. Noisia - Fabriclive.40 - Techstep
2. Cyantific - Ghetto Blaster - Liquid
3. Technical Itch - You need therapy - Hard & Dark & pounding
4. Evol Intent - Us Against The world - Dark, Fairly Broken Beat orientated
5. Subfocus - Subfocus - Quite mainstream jump up-y

3 of those are mixes, as you might find one or two acts on them an branch of your own search from there.

Safe

http://soundcloud.com/dj-scan/dj-scan-heavy-techstep-mix-nov-2010

Back
Top Bottom