new talent, new track "lights"

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by c-level, Aug 10, 2010.

1. c-level

c-level New Member

cheers, new here. ive loved dnb for quite some time but just now got my ableton legs. lemme know what you think, anything sound outright whack?. im trying really hard to get the 2 basslines to fit together without overlapping. the mastering was done in a rush can you tell? check the other tunes on the index on the right side, and im working on 2 pretty epic (dont mean to toot my own horn xp) remixes to be released soon enoughso ill be back soon enough!

http://c-level.bandcamp.com/

2. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

thought it sounded good until the beat and bassline dropped.... absolutly terrible mixdown man!! sounds totally flat.. drums arent coming through atall. think it would be a good track if u knew how to sort that out

3. c-level

c-level New Member

how would you go about sorting this out? still only my first few released tunes. my m8 who i give them to to master has been saying the others have been clipping (i come from tube amp/cassette 4track world where clipping is beautiful) ie 'junglfckd' and to leave more headroom. what might make things stand out a bit more? some pan? stereo imaging things? i didnt plan to keep the track this way i exported and speed mastered it to demo at one of my gigs...

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

lots of nice ideas, but as luciduk said, the mixdown is way off, keep at it tho, its a good start :) your bassline and precussion, espcially the snare & kick, need to be way up in the mix, i'd forget about mastering for now, and get your production level (esp mixing down) upto the same level as your musical skills

had a listen to Up To You and Red Cap, better mixdowns there, but still need to give your ears sum practice on getting the sound right, something you cant magically start doing unfortunetly, musically tho, your heading in the right direction, keep at it!

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

hi-pass everything except the bass and kick @ around 100hz, check the volumes on diffrent things, EQ everything so that they only take up frequencies they need to sound right, EQ your bass so that you can compress it (with the kick is a good idea + sidechain) and get it nice and full in the mix...all practice really

clipping isnt a major issue if you are using 24/32bit files, but CD's only support 16bit, so keep out of the red, give yourself at least 3-6db headroom

5. c-level

c-level New Member

just got a little lost trying to not have the amen and my little more off kilter beat not clash. also the operator lead is a bit overwhleming no? as for sidechaining i know i must but i really cant get it to work. maybe a little more automation bring parts in and out (i also need to work on stupid rises, one timers and transition things, rev crashes are about as far as i go...) maybe eq dip the lower end of the amen >2000hz to make room for my impulse drums?

6. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

perhaps, but the main issue is the lack of bass/kick/snare in the mixdown, those three elements should be the drive for the whole track, at the moment its the hi-freq stuff, synths, hi-hats, sounds, fx etc in the foreground...so its not realy 'drum and bass' ;)

like i said, its not the musical aspect you need to fix, you seem to hve a pretty good ear for that already, just the production/mixdown, get the levels of each sound right and you'll hve some nice tracks. if your not getting what i mean, have a listen to your tracks b2b with some released DnB, you should be able to spot straight away whats missing

personally I prefer not to take off anything from the top end, and leave that up to the mastering engineer to do if they feel it would benifit from it

sidechains are the best way to get a bassline pumping, def keep trying!

7. Thin and crispy

Thin and crispy Active Member

as said your drums arent realy present, theres also a high frequency in there thats a bit scratchy on the ears (maybe its just me? lol) other than that it sounds rly good, but yet make ur drums louder/eq a bit, as for the bass i can hear that fine? again maybe just me tho, lol

8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

yeah the tune is good, musically youve done some cool things there, but the sound is really unbalanced, cant hear the drums at all and the lead is too loud. so fix the volume issues and and im sure its going to be funk soul brother

9. c-level

c-level New Member

thanks so much guys im finding more and more it helps to run it thru other ears, i must need to slow down the last few times ive demoed tunes they sound shitty! and released my other one first time round with the bassline rendered in the wrong key! i guess thats why they call it demo-ing! going back to the drawing board (arrange track) on this one. turning up the snares. im on ableton 7 anyone care to share some bassline crosschaining techniques? i dont really want to compress my bassline too much but im guessing its all about the gain knob (and release of course) thinking of having the sub bass layer kick in most of all. thanks so much again im sure ill be stickin around here!