New studio!

miszt

BASSFACE Royale
VIP Junglist
I've just spent the last 4 months building a new studio, been a dream for over a decade to have a properly isolated and treated space, and its finally happened! :rasta: just in time as we move our production company onto bigger projects (we've just had our first feature film head out into the world on international release!)

(rubbish picture, I'll post some better ones up after this weekends opening...not all the traps and diffusers are up in this pic, or the 5.1 monitors and 56inch projector screen...)

2mfnes8.jpg

After a month of impulse responses and calculations of the room modes, I finally settled on a design...

Its a "Room within a Room", the whole structure is floating off the floor with Neoprene (as I don't have a big issue with outside noise I didn't need to build a concrete floor sitting on springs, fortunetly lol)

Has a total of 24 absorbent bass traps and 2 large resonant traps (to deal with a dodgy 57.3Hz mode), and lots of Diffusers and Absorbers for the mid-high range.

Its also got a touchscreen Mixing Console built into a custom desk that houses controllers/audio interface and keyboard/mouse in a nice tidy unit that's comfortable to use (after 18months of agony from the nerves in my hands and arms, I've realized that Ergonomics are just as important as acoustic treatment in any studio!)

For the first time in my life, I have my own studio space I can walk around and the bass doesn't boom out and vanish at different points in the room! wooo :D

The only thing I wish could be better at the moment are the room dimensions, its just shy of the minimum recommended size for a music studio...but hey, the sound is clean and balanced, so its not that big a deal, just meant I needed a silly amount of acoustic treatment...until I am a millionaire, this is as big as I can get lol

I'll post up some more details and pics from the build if anyones interested, along with the sources for doing the calculations for room treatment and modes etc etc

I'll be opening up again for business this weekend if anyone's interested in mix/mastering (or film sound post production & ADR), its kitted out for Stereo and 5.1 surround :) (plz excuse the plug mods lol)

cheers man, yeah been a looong road getting here; sold my soul as they say lol

really cant wait for my first full session in there to test it all out properly :D

Oh wow that looks and sounds like a wicked little place!
Congrats on all that awesome stuff. And on getting everybody jealous...

Looks great bro!

I have a similar project in the pipeline that I hope to have completed within a year...researching materials and settling on method of build is everlasting

Looks great bro!

I have a similar project in the pipeline that I hope to have completed within a year...researching materials and settling on method of build is everlasting

kool, have you done impulse responses? that was one of the most useful things I did (basically playing a sweeping sine wave, recording it back via a flat-response microphone and comparing the output and input wave to see how the room (and speakers) distorts your signal)

(i use this one: http://www.holmacoustics.com/holmimpulse.php - a flat response mic is pretty essential tho, you can hire them fairly cheap from Sound and Video hire shops, for eg Richmond Sound or New Day Pictures, Richmond has a great selection, and if you give them a call the owner is very knowledgeable and will sort you out the right mic)

I got a load of Celotex 100mm, that makes up the absorbent bass traps in the outer room (each cut in half long ways, one piece in each corner (4 total) and 1 in each room edge (8 in total)) - worked nicely, but I still needed more in the inner room lol

I'll post more info on the complete design when I get a chance, might be useful!

here is an awesome spreadsheet for working out Room Modes (by John Brandt):

http://jhbrandt.net/RoomModeCalculatorMETRIC.xls

(http://www.jhbrandt.net/)

a great starting point, duno how much you know about it, but pay careful attention to the low end ones, they are the ones you want to deal with first; ie don't put loads of absorbers for mid-high without soaking up sum bass/sub first, otherwise the room response will just get wonkier

Thanks for the info.

You did bass trapping in the outer room? I was planning to have an air gap cavity between inner and outer rooms with the inner room providing absorbing/diffusing elements.

Your knowledge is far greater than mine! I didn't even know there was such a thing called impulse response.....

Please do post up you design as all the information that myself and others can get is helpful

Thanks for the info.

You did bass trapping in the outer room? I was planning to have an air gap cavity between inner and outer rooms with the inner room providing absorbing/diffusing elements.

Your knowledge is far greater than mine! I didn't even know there was such a thing called impulse response.....

Please do post up you design as all the information that myself and others can get is helpful

yeah, I originally only had bass traps inside the studio itself, but I was having trouble with 57.3Hz, so I had to add loads more between the outer and inner room; heres a rough sketch of the studio, not to scale (it only shows outer & inner rooms + bass traps...no diffusers/resonators etc)

303cr2s.png

bass traps are really easy to build, and make a huge difference to any room (probably the best thing you can do in any room, definitely better than sticking high-freq foam up, which can just make things worse if the sub isn't under control), even if you don't have the space to fully treat it...well worth the effort, and not silly money either! Rockwool and Celotex do a good job

Cool man, I got my bedroom done a couple months ago

11914107_729931120445301_8526489808853299731_n.jpg

not the sexiest looking acoustic treatment, but hey if it does the job that's all that matters! you will probably get better absorption if you hang some of those flat ones at the top of the room, in the corner between the wall and ceiling, at 45 degrees :) and the same on the bottom between the wall and floor if you can

Back
Top Bottom