New Setup

Discussion in 'Production' started by mini_molko, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

I've spent aaaages trying to decide on the best equipment to replace my current outdated music setup, and now that I'm finally close to having saved up enough money, I think I've made a decision...

Iomega 34280 Professional 1TB eSATA External Hard Drive

Dell Studio 17 6GB of Ram, 500GB

Cakewalk UA-25EX Sound Card

BEYERDYNAMIC DT 990 PRO Headphones

Samson Rubicon R5A Active Monitors or RP5 G2 - Rockit 5" Active Studio Monitors

If anyone has any better suggestions, please throw them my way - if I'm gonna be spending about £1500, I wanna make sure I've got the best within that price range.

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

looks great. i just upgraded my whole setup with similar bits, albeit much cheaper.

3. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

Really!? I've looked frantically for the ebst deals, but can only seem to get it all for around that price...

4. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i got cheaper (but similar) stuffi got the emu pci 1616e, the rokit 6s and new computer i ordered parts for online and built myself. all in all round 1200 eur.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

and i cant figure this new soundcard out for crap. fucking thing has me racking my brain to figure out the simplest shit, i get spastic just thinking about it

5. sausagenumber9

sausagenumber9 Member

hehe
    I have 1.8 ghz pc with 1 gb ram and thats all
    some shitty soundcard.
    Damn i love this (sarcastic)

6. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

sounds about the same as mine... mines 10 yrs old! still though - http://www.soundclou.com/richie_stix - get a good sound out of it :D (shameless whoring!)

7. sausagenumber9

sausagenumber9 Member

Rock n roll was good, couldent listen futher cuz i have to go work.
    Oldchool pc - epic

8. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

(y)

old version of it though... as are most of them on there! so fucking lazy...

9. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

Ah, fair enough... I'm a bit of noob when it comes to that stuff, was gonna get a friend to build my PC, but decided on a laptop, as I spend a lot of time away from home and wanna be able to make music.

Yeah, my current setup is ridiculous... It's basically my Mum's 10 year old PC wired up to my hifi... It's the biggest piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune of using, I have to bump down pretty much any VST generated sound, so I really can't wait to have a decent, fast running laptop, with proper monitors! :)

10. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Personally I would choose 2 X 500GB drives, rather than one massive one, that will enable you to have all your audio files streaming off one drive, and your operating system/page files off the other, far less likley to get glitchy behaviour from your DAW that way. Infact I use 3 hard drives, 2 contain the windows page file (=faster access), 1 other files/docs etc, one the operating system and programs, and the 3rd just for audio

Its often suggested that you should have one memory stick per CPU core, for best performance, if you have a quad, then get 4 x 1 or 2GB stix

11. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

Cheers for the advice.
    So, if I were to get 4GB of ram for a quad core, would it actually run better than a quad core with 6GB of ram? :S

Also, for your hard drives, do you use internal, external or a mixture of both?

12. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

i use a mixture... and one is an internal one with a lead to make it external! :D

definately best to have operating system/daw on one, samples on tother!!!!!!

13. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

It would depend how it was setup and how hard you push your system, if you find yourself needing more than 4GB of Ram, then its likley that you will notice the diffrence in performance between 4, 6 and 8GB properly matched to your CPU. Its not that 4GB will give better performance over 6GB, just that it will give a closer optimal performance, and when your spend your hard earned £, you dont want to be loosing performance. you could always put 3 X 2GB stix in, then add another 2GB stick later on of course, but in the mean time some of your potential performance is being wasted....this really only matters if you push your system hard tho, dont stress bout it to much! (im a bit of geek so i do worry about these things lol)

I kind of use a mixture of drives, I have 3 internal hard drives in my Quad, and I use an external drive for my laptop (live performance), but external hard-drives are only really a bonus if you are going to do laptop performances, or if you reguly switch between computers to produce....or if you are using old style IDE or Sata rather than Sata2, but as its a new PC you probly will get Sata2

the more drives you can spread your PC load accross, the longer they will last and the better performance you will get

There are a few really good doc's about optimizing PC performance for production, i'll see if i can find them and post them up, they'r a good read :bounce:

14. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

that would be sweet!

15. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

Have you got your OS hard drives set up in a RAID array then?

16. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

not on my DAW no, it doesnt really give much benifit for DAW's afaik (great for db's tho), 3 drives, 1) os/programs 2)docs/files 3)audio ...plus the page file split across 1 & 2

17. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

I've had bad experiences producing on my Dell Studio laptop (about 18 months old), it's got 4gb of ram, but with any more than 8 tracks in ableton live, it would overheat to around 110'C and then just switch off.

Apparently it's a problem with a lot of the Dell studio range, and I now have to have a fan built into a stand constantly running to keep it below 80'C when doing anything more intensive than standard web browsing.

So I bought a PC that I dedicate for production that cost half the price and is 4x as powerful.

18. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

80C is still way to hot!! get yourself a decent Thermaltake CPU heatsink and fan, and make sure the thermal paste is on correctly (the silver based stuff is best), you'll be loosing allot of power running that hot, ideally you should have to go about 40C, even with a quad (myne hits 45-50C sumtimes with a big render, generally 38-40C tho)

(obv you've solved the problem with a new pc, but worth mentioning anyways i think)

19. Alexi

Alexi Drench Audio

Apparently it's something to do with the placement of parts inside the laptop, my mate who's good with computers cleaned out the fan and applied some proper thermal paste, rather than standard dell stuff, and since then, it hasn't switched itself off like it used to.

But even so, with the fan on underneath it runs about 50'C when idle and goes up to about 90'C when doing intensive things like iplayer. I don't even attempt to produce on it anymore.

However with my PC, all components stay just above room temperature when idle and up to about 35'C when working on a full Ableton project.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  20. mini_molko

mini_molko Member

Shit... That's not good!

I would get a desktop computer, but I'm never really at home that much, so I kinda need a laptop so I can take my music with me.

Are there any other laptop ranges anyone would reccomend?