New set up :D

IbbyDnB

Hey. im getting a new set up. asin. the works. New computer, new interface new moniters the lot. alredy know what PC im getting(quad core custom) and Cubse studio5. would anyone like to recomend me moniters, audio interface, a soft sampler, and some plugins. (ive previously been a reason user so i dont realy know much about VSTs and VSTis in the way of wahts good or not) im lookin to spend about £300 on moniters upto £200 on an interface, and maybe £300 - 450 on plugins and instruments? I make pretty much just Dnb and a little dubstep (all styles of both if it makes a difference for plugins etc) Cheers

Last edited:
massive is a wicked vsti, good for makin dnb/dub step sounds. aint used the other bits of NI Komplete tho, so cudnt recommend much else. sounds gd neways mate, wish i had tht much cash wen i was 16!

VSTs:

NI Massive
Albino 3
WAVES Q10 Eq
CamelCrusher (free)

Monitors:

go somewhere and listen to some monitors! dont buy them online without hearing them first!! get the shop assisants to give you sum advice aswell

I would not recomend monitors with bass drivers smaller than 10inch, as they are unable to produce enough bass (regardless of what the packaging may claim!)....you can feel the sub end on the rim of the speaker ( a great tip for people without good bass response or sub) if you touch it very gently...but tbh it takes a while to know what you are actually feeling

the most important aspect of your monitors, is infact you, and how well you learn the diffrences between your monitors and the kind of sound system you want your music played on (usually a big PA of sum kind). It is possible to make great sounding music on the shittest speakers, if you know how your speakers respond

Cubase:

i would personally recomend Ableton Live over Cubase as you are going to have to learn a new interface any way, just because Ableton is a step forward in terms of production and performance, Cubase is stuck in linear mode sequencing, which is fine, and cubase is pure awsomeness, but IMO its not the future

if you get ableton live you wont need a VST eq plugin, or possibly even any other kind of VST, as Abletons EQ's are excellent, and so are their synths, samplers and FX....there is an abundance of Ableton Live tutorials online to get you started, check Tom Cosm on you tube

Audio interface:

this depends what you want to do with it, for a basic start, I would suggest the Audiophile 24/96 internal sound card, excellent quality

Last edited:
VSTs:

NI Massive
Albino 3
WAVES Q10 Eq
CamelCrusher (free)

Monitors:

go somewhere and listen to some monitors! dont buy them online without hearing them first!! get the shop assisants to give you sum advice aswell

I would not recomend monitors with bass drivers smaller than 10inch, as they are unable to produce enough bass (regardless of what the packaging may claim!)....you can feel the sub end on the rim of the speaker ( a great tip for people without good bass response or sub) if you touch it very gently...but tbh it takes a while to know what you are actually feeling

the most important aspect of your monitors, is infact you, and how well you learn the diffrences between your monitors and the kind of sound system you want your music played on (usually a big PA of sum kind). It is possible to make great sounding music on the shittest speakers, if you know how your speakers respond

Audio interface:

this depends what you want to do with it, for a basic start, I would suggest the Audiophile 24/96 internal sound card, excellent quality

Exactly this.

In terms of VSTs/ VSTis get the one afformentioned and then ya can grab a fuck load of good ones free off the net anyway. The only two that I would add to the list of pricey ones is; CamelPhat and CamelSpace. They do wonders for your basslines nd crazy synths!

haha, thanks guys, i dont have that much money right now, but ive got work liened up through the sumer holidays wich will bring in enough cash to me my cpmputer and cubase, and ive used live and cubase previously at college, and i cant seem to liken to Live. but i really like cubase. plus i know plently of people who use cubase wich are all will to give advice and help me out wen needed. and moniter wise, im think KRK rokit 5's they have the 6's at college, but my room and place were im gonna putthem isnt biggenough for the 6's. Can anyone recomend me a sampler?ive checked out Kontact and its bloody expencive. Dose Halion come with Cubase dose anyone know? And Massive and Albino are up there on my list of considerations! and for the audio interface i will be wanting to record from turnatables, aisin, from a mixer, and also intruments and vocals etc. for a triphop/ band project ive got going. ive been loking at the Lexicon Lambada. This would also cut costs for a little while with it coming with Cubase LE4. obviously id nivest in cubase 5 after a while if i felt the need, cheers guys!

i know thats the only let down, im thinking maybe try squeeze the 6's in, i know its not much of a difference but a friend of mine has the 6's and they have apair of the 6s at college and they seem to push the bass out wen needed!

they at least let you hear some of the bass.. i got 7.5" alesis, and they just do the trick, can get down to about D2, which is enough for most songs.

get some good headphones along your 5"s id say..

i run cubase 5 and no halion sampler included halion one is included though but thats not a sampler
i would recomend kontact or halion 3 also look into camel audio's Alchemy
you can grab all these of those special places on the net for nothing

aye. I was just about to ask about alchemy, im think of gettin alchemy and the camle audio camlephat/space bundle, alchmy looks like its gonna be kinda similar to massive, but not massive, obviously

yeah pretty simular to massive but not as easy to use as massive i aint thrown any samples in alchemy so dont know how good it is but shimmon uses it
Camelphat is the shit!

right, well i think ima get M1 Mk2's, maybe KRK 6's, both similar price, so its a consideration, am prety much set on the alchemy and camle phat/space as well.

Back
Top Bottom