New Revised Version Of my newest single

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by MC_Abyss, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

:thumbsup: This track has been posted on here once before I did a lot of work to it and here is the ending version. I hope you like it.

Also I have written bars to it and will have a vocal version of the track coming soon.
    the DNB army tearing on the zombies! :bounce:
    Like rocks in sunamie ripin apart bodys

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. iMight

iMight New Member

Drums are a mess, nothing seems to go through the mix properly. The background synth is too loud and too still, the drop is also a bit messy, it's hard to figure where the bass is actually. It's a good start but needs improvements.

3. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

Is it really that bad explain how you mean the drums are a mess? I can hear every cymbole snare and kick clear, so what do u mean. The bass is the main synth. I guess it might seem loud in your speakers or headphones but every pare I own it seems fine from my laptop speaker, car steroe to my studio headphones (sony mdr-7506) these headphones I use to monitor my mix could that be the problem?

4. cele

cele Well-Known Member

He probably means that first of all some of the drum hits sound weird (that can be just a personal opinion), but the drums really lack power and aren't cutting through the mix properly. Drums are the driving force behind a dnb tune and they seem so small in this case. The main synth/bass is overpowering basically everything else that's going on, i would try layering my drum samples and in your case maybe even sidechain the kicks and the snare to the synth (as a lot of the frequencys tend to overlap).
    I like the idea's of the song but you need to work on the mixdown, and also I'd make the intro at least 32 bars because the whole thing seems really rushed after 8 bars and you can't really distinguish the drop from the rest. (make the intro quieter, take away a bit of the low/high end, have a nice buildup).

All that's coming from a beginer of production (posted my first tune on here yesterday haha), so I don't know if my advice is really helpful

5. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

I think I helped you out last time, and you've changed some things, added variation, which is good - but the main problem is the drums, they just arent cutting through the mix. Have you used EQ on your bass? Synth? Its really important you make room for your kick and snare, and its also worth noting that that you need good kick and snare samples to begin with, try layering multiple samples together using EQ to shape each of them so they fit together.

Listen to a track you like or something that sounds similar to this track you made, and compare how loud or quiet certain elements are. Listen to the drums too, obviously we cant expect you to have professional sounding drums when compared to a professionally mastered and released track, but you can still compare the levels, how loud they are in comparison to the rest of the tune. Try and match this as best as you can.

Also, try not to mix-down your track using headphones, it is possible to do this but it generally takes a lot of experience to know how a song should sound while only listening through headphones. By all means, use headphones when creating sounds or making a track, but when you come to finish it.. you really need a set of monitors to adjust the levels properly. Ideally you should be listening to your song on as many different systems/outputs as possible, and decide whether things need changing.

6. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

agreed...synths/bass too big, and drums too small. the tune isn't bad, but the mixdown is. its sounds to me like both the EQing and the compression are the problems. with EQ, you need to spend more time removing frequencies you don't need, both low/high cuts or filters and surgical EQ cuts to remove resonant frequencies.

and absolutely the headphones are an issue. first, they don't allow you to hear a proper stereo image. and i hate to say it, but those headphones are entry-level at best - it's not a jab, mine aren't much better. but I never use them to mixdown a tune. as a matter of fact, I use them for arrangement ONLY. most people never use headphones for sound design or mixing. if you have any chance of purchasing monitors, I would recommend that they be next on your list.

7. MC_Abyss

MC_Abyss Member

Ok, thanks everyone for your help ill eq my drums better lower the main synth, and do some sidechaining to help the drums pop though the mix. I agree as well with the intro suggestion yes its a little rush I've never been good at build ups. Ill try different techiques to see which fits the style more. As for some of the snares lacking stregnth, its probably because some are layered and some are not. Again thanks to everyone who had helpfull suggestions for me ill keep at this one. It seems like people like it enough too:)

As for monitors I don't have any, and I don't have money to get some eather. But what would be cheap monitors that work well but won't drain my bank account?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012