DnB New Producer - In need of some constructive criticism *

El Barrone

Hey guys. I'm new here, Just posted this in the wrong place, so reposting it here

I'm primarily a guitarist and bassist but have allways been into my drum and bass, been writing and making tunes now for about 2 years. but only just now got to a point where i think my tracks are getting good enough to not be a total embarrisment to Drum and Bass!

Here is a couple of tracks i've been working on:

I use reason 5 and Cubase sx 3 ( could do with an upgrade on my DAW) and a variety of mastering plugins and effects.

I'm mainly influenced by Noisia, Limewax, Current Value, Squarepusher, Aphex Twin. that type of stuff.

Any feedback on my production quality and mix etc would be grately apreciated, i've been listening to loads of the user submitted tracks on here and there is some Great talent!!

Many Thanks Again!!

Hi fella, welcome to the forum.

ok, track 1 has a nice beat, but it sounds quite muddy, definately need to clean up those samples and EQ a little better, try some surgical EQing on the drums.
Once the drop happens, everything is WAY too muddy, everything is trying to use the same areas of your spectrum, if you can clean this up though, it would be a monster of a track!

Track 2 sounds a little more promising in the intro....however, that intro is far too long and gets a little boring after a while! Again, once it drops, it's just a mess, mix wise. Your actual ideas are great, but you really need to spend some time focusing, and learning about mixdown techniques.

Check around the forum, there's loads of threads floating about regarding mixdown and EQ tips..

Cheers man, i know about the sound spectrum and did take some consideration with different synths taking up a lot of frequencies. i'll deffo try some harsher EQing.

I'm use to recording live instruments, where you cant attack the eq as much without offending someone because you've obliterateed thier guitar tone or something.

Any Particular Vsts you'd recomend for EQ i'm currently using isotope ozone and cubase built in EQ's. I'll look about the forum for some more inspiration.

Much apreciated!

Just stick with your DAWs built in EQ's, should be more than enough for now.

It's all about learning what sounds take up what frequencies, and building around that. dont worry too much mate, stick around this forum and you'll soon pick things up.

Need better mixdown, and drums and bass isent sounding sharp enough. drum beat is very simple not crazy enough for this kind or tracks

what would you recommend for making the drums crazier? As in changing kits more often with different grooves or as in more hits as in more kicks and more complex rudiments?

After looking around the forum quite a bit i realise im being far too careful with my EQing not to dramatically change the sounds and compromising the mix entirely , These are the first mixdowns of the tracks, so i'm going to try perfect the sound before i get carried away with writing loads of stuff!!

Thanks man!

i'm going to try perfect the sound before i get carried away with writing loads of stuff!!
The longer I do this the more I believe less is more. Good idea.

I recon the musically these tracks are both good, some really great ideas but as most the comments have suggested the mix is muddy and distorted in the wrong ways, theres not much more I can add here. I disagree with your comment about not getting carried away with writing loads of stuff. I think writing loads of stuff is the only way of getting any good!

weellllll - el barrone - you are killing all hopes of a good mix first off- bring everything down in your master mix - then adjust individualy from there - each track - each instrument - what ever daw you use - they all abide by the same rules - quality rules - i find it easy to eq and set drums first - get em tight - go for bass next - if you have these in check the you can see what freq you have left to work with - not really sure what you are going for as far as style as its a bit of a mash - but if you are looking for bangers i nthe mash - time to sort these things first - cv- limewax etc. these guys put in mega work for drums - i would do the same
good luck

Ez man can't really add anything more to the above, great ideas rolling just work on the mixdown. Next time you write a track try dropping your mixer levels down to halfway on each channel. This should leave you plenty of headroom to adjust sounds in the mix. Make sure your master doesn't clip too :)

first tune sounds way too dull, you either got too much compression going on or you filtered too much hi end out. and the hi hats in the intro got loaaads of lowend, was that by mistake?

some good ideas on the drop, although i cant really follow any specific melody really as its way too dull and all the basses sound quite the same now. lol.

this is by far the best produced but baddest mixed tune ive heard in a while! get some highend in the mix and the tunes ready for the dancefloor i guess!

Back
Top Bottom