New Neurofunk from Lucider - Free 320K downloads

Here's the latest version:

https://soundcloud.com/lucider%2Flucider-the-black-widow-V2
I used all Reason 4.0 for this. Happy to answer any questions and most of all I'd appreciate feedback, especially from DJs who have tried to mix it. I know it's just tough to stack up to the pros out there and I only have turntables so no way of mixing it with some phace or noisia or something.

Cheers,
J.P.

Last edited:

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
Needs some serious EQin across the board and some treble, there seems to be none. Would be a big track if it sounded professional :) Sounds very very flat tho

Thanks for the feedback - can you be more specific? Like, more highs to the drums, or the reese? There's already a +1dB shelf on the mix down and I'm not about to give it more overall...I'm scared of EQ'ing up the highs too much on any part but I can play around with levels on the upper bandwidth tracks. More hi-hat for example. And I think that one of the snare voices could be bumped to give it more of "click".

Anybody have some thoughts on the EQ? I'd have to take a look at the EQ for each part - fortunately there's only three elements: drums and two reeses!

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

OH LOL at myself -
Many thanks Russla, I was kinda pissed at you calling it flat until I started EQ'ing again...damn that was embarrassing A -> B'ing new to old. And the best part is that I don't have to soft clip as much to get the same perceived SPL.

I took a big -6dB scoop out of the main bass reese in the 100 - 300 Hz range as well.

At this rate this tune won't sound half bad by sunrise.

The new version has replaced the old in this post as well as soundcloud.

-J.P.

RUSSLA

Technique
VIP Junglist
Thats a lot better now man! Can hear the highs nicely now, theres nothing wrong with boost inbetween 10khz and 20khz .. very cool track! you get my PM?

You still want to master it?

I think it's sounding kinda muddy, I'll probably rinse it again sometime soon. I *may* have added some post "wah" reverb to the reese...for "shinyness" but it was probably a bad idea. I think that I should tighten up the release on the 808s that make up the subbass too. Tighten the hi-hats. Tighten everything...though I do want to maintain that retro almost techstep feeling I get from it.

Bleh, I saw Mahem on Saturday - makes me look like a goddamn sissy in production and on the decks. Never seen so many double drops live - course he's spyin the waveform on his lappy. He brought a new mix from Evol Intent - now I have not been keeping up with things as I should, but there's a remix of "Mind Control" or whatever the track is called in there! Sounds like a selves remix.

American DnB represent!

New version 9/30 at top of post.

So I tightened things - is this any better now?

I added some hihats but I need to fiddle, they decay much too fast and are boring. There's more mid-lows in the synth and drums. Really, does the snare still need more highs?