Drum & Bass New Minimal Dark Tune - CONTRAST

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Salvus, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Salvus

Salvus Member

http://soundcloud.com/b_51/contrast-free-download

One thing i'm struggling with here is how to make minimal tunes that rely on that pulsing sub bass to NOT sound totally empty when played on a shit system.
    Any pointers guys?
    General constructive criticism on the tune as a whole is much appreciated.

Cheers
    :)

2. Lucider

Lucider Member

I'll listen later, but yeah, 'tis a problem. Most systems don't do so well below 50Hz - A low A in the subbass is 55Hz, the low F is about 43, I think. One thing that sounds nice on most systems is a downward glissando (pitch bend) cause you'll get the bass at the top and then it will slowly taper as the system can't handle it. Rave/Club systems should be able to handle 40Hz no problem - in reality they don't cause people are idiots.

Ported subs (as you see on people's satellite systems) will have a VERY uneven response in the bass range and be LOUD AS FK in their resonant ranges.

Bottom line is don't make your subbass too loud. Other great ideas include using a LPF'd sawtooth so that you get a few warm harmonics above the bass tone - that way, even when the note is below the system's range, the listener's mind will "fill in the missing fundamental frequency". That's what psychoacoustic bass enhancement plug-ins do so you might as well control it from the beginning instead of letting the plug in muddy up other low frequencies like the kick.

I've experimented with running waveforms that start at the first harmonic so that it implies like a 25Hz frequency - it's heavy but hard to control!

Or you can do what I do and only have one note in the bass line...:(

3. Salvus

Salvus Member

Dead interesting read that mate... I have used a 55hz sine bass in that track (just generated the wave in audacity). And I realise it is probs in the wrong key if what you say is true. Grim.
    Another problem when working on these kind of tunes is when producing at uni (like i have been recently) Im stuck with a 5.1 system, and as you said they over exaggerate the resonant areas. Got KRK Rokit 6's at home like.

Some great stuff there, will deffo have a play around with some of these other ideas in the future.

nice one

4. Lucider

Lucider Member

no no, 55Hz sine is money

But yeah, 55 is definitely an A

5. Salvus

Salvus Member

Yeah the rest of my bits I tried to have D. But yehh 55hz did seem to be the bassiest sinewave I produced on this crappy system