New Method Of Showing Off Tracks

Discussion in 'Production' started by Menosance, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Hi Guys,

Recently I did a mix of 9 snippets of 9 unsigned tracks of mine using ableton. I did this to be able to send all of my tracks to different labels (imo they are worth signing). The main difference from a usual mix is that I used snippets instead of full tracks. Do you think that this system would work??

My aim is not plugging this mix here but to get the idea if you haven't understood me.

Thanks,
    MENOSANCE :)

2. DJWhizzkidd

DJWhizzkidd Member

Interesting idea, but your tracks aren't any where near good enough to get signed. I don't think it would be worth sending them to labels yet.

3. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

Tracks are good mate but they are not on the level of getting signed yet.

4. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Not loud enough in your opinion or bad mixing (production wise)?

5. Silent Impact

Silent Impact Member

Bad mixing and not the best choice on drum samples. Loudness comes later.Keep practising mate

6. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

I listened last night, and I think your music is very interesting and has a really nice atmosphere, but your drums are very stock, to be totally critical id say they are flat, and id say theyre the bits letting you down. I know you'll come good with more thought on the drums!! really looking forward to hearing some music in the future

7. spyre

spyre sample all the things

If you've run out of space on your soundcloud, like me, then its a good idea :)

8. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Well thanks guys for the feedback, at least the drums are the problem. I'll have a quick search around on the web on this topic also, if you have an idea to improve the drums post it here.

9. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Lads,

I did a rework of the drums in one of my tracks that's in the mix (5th Track) and I would like you to take a look at it. The SC link is private and you can see the track in the link below. Do please critize it especially the drums :)

https://soundcloud.com/frteyutnckiolsnj/iambic-better-drums

10. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

Don't you reckon it is a bit of a pain for the label owner(s) to seek through your mix, write down times of tracks they like, then ask for full copies, make time to evaluate the full copy, etc? I would stick to sending your best 2 or 3 full tracks to labels. Need to develop the ability to objectively evaluate your own work or find someone you trust to help you. If they like what they hear, they'll ask for more. ;)

11. Protect Audio

Protect Audio Member

You should send finished 320s to the labels mate. No label (including myself) wan't to sift through a mix picking out bits that we like.

Alert likes this.
  12. hijaxx

hijaxx New Member

Top with your drums, solo out your drum loop and just keep going until it sounds good on its own! Don't over process the drums either.. A good sample has a good source.. Cut a snare out your favorite track and layer it with another to make it unique etc

13. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

hmmm

14. hijaxx

hijaxx New Member

In regards to your track, the drums sound like they're part of your DAWS inbuilt sample pack or cheaply sourced, it might be worth investing 20 quid on a prime loops pack or something to get you started.. It's good that you're confident and pro active though

15. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

Regarding this and the reply before, that is what I done. I basically did a drum loop and kept on looping it. All I did was compress it heavily and it did sound good, the problem that I was having was that it wasn't that loud enough and to be honest I am 'scared' of using Ableton's Limiter. I feel that I can ruin it quite easily. I'll be looking into prime loops later on.

16. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

THIS EXACTLY....we get sent mixes, we put them straight in recycle bin..no offence, but as a label i want to hear the intro, drop, break and outro.....a shit track could sound good in a mix, disguised in a sense.

17. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

Do you start with a kick and snare patten then add loops?

You should start by learning to make a single kick, layered, added effects etc....then do the same with a snare....once youve mastered that then start adding pre made loops....and dont be afraid to play about with the loops, take or add hits away....filters whatever. you'll soon find your own sound. if you just use the daws in built stuff you wont sound individual

18. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Haha what? These days most daws' plugins are top notch, its how you use them that matters

19. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

yeah you could argue that using a daw's inbuilt stuff will make you sound different. means you wont be reaching for massive and other such heavily rinsed vsts (to add, i dont have a problem with massive, i still it has a lot of individual sounds to offer)

20. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

yeah kool but i mean using the in built samples, not so much the plug ins.....i mean using your own drums and sounds got to be better than using stuff that everyone has access to.