New liquid style dnb track

Pretty cool stuff , im thinking more "high end" elements to make the beat rolling a little bit more and maybe less compression/limiting ? I kinda feel like the drop lacks a lot of dynamics .

Pretty cool stuff , im thinking more "high end" elements to make the beat rolling a little bit more and maybe less compression/limiting ? I kinda feel like the drop lacks a lot of dynamics .

Cheers for the feedback. I think i probably do tend to add too much compression to the kick and snare in my drums in an effort to get that really punchy sound, less is more!. Any suggestion on the high end elements. Shaker bongos etc. With regards to the dynamics do you mean that it sounds too 'flat' after the drop. More stereo imaging or note variation on the bassline perhaps?

Shaker , more hihats layered , a simple loop , highpass it and it will do the trick . I tend to add a whole mess of highpassed stuff on my beat and then sidechain it to the kick and the snares . As for the drop i think the bass is a bit too airy and need more movement . I personally try to avoid Stereo imaging because its easy to be tricked in thinking that wider is better , some things should stay in mono and some things in stereo .

Cheers. That's some really useful comments. I've never though of changing the high end elements to the kick and snare. I suppose it just helps to maintain the punch and not get drowned out in the mix. I'll see what i can do with the bass and working in some more interesting parts for the high end.

Thanks man!

Liking the build in the intro, got a very rasta, reggae type vibe going on.....Nice drop too. your beats could do with being a bit punchier, the kick doesnt have much impact as it is, maybe try layering a heavier one underneath, and sidechaining that pad you have rolling through the track to it, give it that bit more of an impact.

Liking the build in the intro, got a very rasta, reggae type vibe going on.....Nice drop too. your beats could do with being a bit punchier, the kick doesnt have much impact as it is, maybe try layering a heavier one underneath, and sidechaining that pad you have rolling through the track to it, give it that bit more of an impact.

Thanks man. Thats a good idea side chaining the pads. Never really something i have used in my DnB production as I have always been a bit confused where to take the signal from. With a house beat it is easy to replicate the effect that you hear generated in many tracks with the side chain compression and really let that kick pump through on your bass line and or synths. But with dnb i'm guessing its much more subtle? Do you take just the kick or snare signal, or both? Probably best just to play around and see what sounds good but any tips would be great.

Cheers for listening and giving some feedback :)

Back
Top Bottom