New label starting up..

sinisterdj

Hi all,

This post is to inform all you upcoming producers that a new label is starting to take form under the name of Sinister Productions. There are currently no financial incentives to sign your tunes to our label as we're still in the womb. We plan on promoting our tunes over the internet and will be sending them out to various professional DJ's so that they gain as much recognition as is possible without full on national marketing campaigns. We employ certain guidelines as to what types of tunes we select for signing, but having said this we like to cover almost the entire spectrum. This not only applies to the comprehensive DnB spectrum, but also to other forms of dance music.

Why are we posting this thread? Simple. We want to let all of you know that if you are the sort of engineer/producer that can pump out quality tunes endlessly, then we want you to consider signing your songs to our label on an individual basis. We don't promise cash nor do we promise anything other than simply getting your songs heard. If they gain popularity, we won't hesitate to have them pressed up and released on a small-scale basis together with similar marketing campaigns. As soon as we discover that certain artists are gaining a lot of recognition we will offer to sign them to an album deal, whereby we will press up, release and promote it on as wide-scale basis as possible. Our contracts entitle our artists to a set percentage of all profits generated from their contributions, although we do not, at this stage, offer any sort of upfront payment. The prospects here at Sinister Productions are very much geared towards the future: as we grow, we take you with us.

We're looking for artists who wish to contribute to the dance music scene and who want to play a vital part in our emerging history. Sinister Productions is recruiting such individuals and groups now - you have nothing to lose. It goes without saying that we'll dedicate our resources, which in themselves will grow over time, to our most loyal artists who stood with us from the moment we first entered the scene. As we gain recognition for our contribution to the dance music sector we'll be in a position to sign and release songs and albums by the industry's leading producers. Already we are making ourselves known to these people. Our foundation is in place: Now we are looking for our artists.

Does any of this interest you? If it does, post your interest on this thread, and we'll provide you with details on where to send demos.

Peace.

What's fake? Unsuprisingly there are numerous DJ Sinister's around both in the UK and abroad. To date there is only one by the name of Sinister DJ.

What would you like as evidence? And what would be to gain by making a fake announcement like this? Don't be so judgemental :)

Sinister Productions is a newly formed and registered UK company (check with Companies House), recruiting artists and songs on an individual basis. We have close ties with award winning and industry leading promotions, artists and labels, and are at this stage focusing on building our initial artist base. We're not a hugely funded group that have endless amounts of money to plunge into our venture. Instead we're aiming to establish ourselves as much as possible with the money and resources that are available to us, so that we're in a position to seek financial help from likely investors in the near future.

Aside from the music production, we're also in the promotion game. Our multi-award winning siblings based in Bristol (UK) are fine examples of what we do in this field, and sound models of what we will soon be bringing to London. As part of our wider artist base (which as I already have mentioned we're still building) we also plan to incorporate and promote our own DJ's and MC's and stage them at our own events. As a whole we're likely to shape up quite nicely within a few short years. The reason for posting on this forum was simply to reach an audience that may be interested in our development, and those who may wish to take part in it :)

Hope this clears things up! And to introduce myself.. my name is Jigar (Jigger) and I go by the name of Sinister DJ. Sinister Productions is my label.

Peace.

Last edited:
We were not doubting your label or business practices, so there will be no need for us to clarify anything with Companies House. It's simply because there is another guy called (Dj) 'Sinister' who posts quite a bit on some of the biggest Drum & Bass / Jungle boards.

He's pretty well known across the world for his mixes and tunes so I would suggest looking into that to stop comments like ours from appearing on every board you touch down on. The last thing you need when promoting a product are users taking the thread 'off topic'.

Nothing but friendly advice here ;-]

Anyway nice to meet you Jigar, and good luck with your future plans. Be sure to keep us (DNBforum) involved on the news and audio front, we like to help out where we can.

Oh I see. Rings a bell actually. If this is the same guy, had some rather abusive comments from him on another board (DOA and Hijack) complaining that he is the real Sinister and how dare I use his name :nutkick: He's from Canada or something, isn't he?

On numerous other occasions I've heard many DJs on London's pirate stations calling themselves DJ Sinister. There are simply loads of them all over the place :) Kind of sucks. Good thing that we are close to hearing back from our solicitors about a successful trademark of the name Sinister DJ :rslayer: I hope the real DJ Sinister doesn't mind. If he's reading this right now I sincerely apologise. The selection of this name came about many years ago while I was still a bedroom dj. And my claim to the name also is through my two companies, Sinister Productions and Sinister Entertainment. Any how, no harm intended mate. If it offers any consolation I'm often refferred to as Jigar (my real name by the way) so reference to Sinister DJ may simply be reserved as merely that, a reference.

Right. On to the business. I appreciate your interest SDM and of course I will keep you guys informed of our progress at all stages. As soon as we polish up we'll present our tracks on this forum and look forward to your feedback.

If anyone is interested in sending in demos, please post your interest on this thread and I'll gladly send over a postal address (or email if you prefer).

Peace.

What evidence can you present as to your experience in this field.. many of your (somewhat large) claims remain completely unsupported...

Forgive my skepticism, but any wannabe DJ / Label boss can post a long ass message on a forum talking about solicitors, investors, marketing campaigns and any other cool words he can think of..... what sets you apart from these kids???

sdm said:
We were not doubting your label or business practices, so there will be no need for us to clarify anything with Companies House. It's simply because there is another guy called (Dj) 'Sinister' who posts quite a bit on some of the biggest Drum & Bass / Jungle boards.

He's pretty well known across the world for his mixes and tunes so I would suggest looking into that to stop comments like ours from appearing on every board you touch down on. The last thing you need when promoting a product are users taking the thread 'off topic'.

Nothing but friendly advice here ;-]

Anyway nice to meet you Jigar, and good luck with your future plans. Be sure to keep us (DNBforum) involved on the news and audio front, we like to help out where we can.

I can only agee

Affliction said:
What evidence can you present as to your experience in this field.. many of your (somewhat large) claims remain completely unsupported...

Forgive my skepticism, but any wannabe DJ / Label boss can post a long ass message on a forum talking about solicitors, investors, marketing campaigns and any other cool words he can think of..... what sets you apart from these kids???

-

Mate, to be a bit less formal, do you think I'm a kid? :)

Ok.. evidence to the somewhat large claims.

Sinister Productions LTD is a registered media company. Current claims, apart from the stuff you can't see, are a forthcoming web site (currently under development as we speak) at SinisterProductions.co.uk.

Sinister Entertainment LTD is a registered media company. Current claims, apart from the stuff you can't see, are a forthcoming web site (also currently under development as we speak) at SinisterEntertainment.co.uk.

Sinister DJ is a trademark pending name. Current claims, apart from the live gigs and what have you, SinisterDJ.com / Sinister.DJ.

These claims reach as far as registered names, which obviously to you stands for nothing without substance you can see. Sinister Productions is currently laying the ground work to bring Bristol's 'Official' Best Club Night to London. The first part of the company launch will most definately be within the club sector.

Matey I'm not sure what you'd like me to do :) This is a forum and I've come on here to find out if any budding young producers (like myself, although I'm still studying at college to gain the engineering skills I need to make my tracks audible hehe) would be interested in sending in demos and possibly working with us as we try to establish ourselves. I didn't really think I'd be grilled for it :)

Look... it's simple. We're legit. I'm legit. Don't mistake all this trademark stuff for something it's not... we're not a huge company, we're infact very small, humble and still on the groud. We just like to do things properly from the get-go so that small problems are less likely to arise later.

Anything else my skeptical junglist?

ive kept well away from this topic so far but......
best of luck to you!
ive recently started "instinct dnb" started off just aiming to have a bangin dnb scene back in southampton, now im lookin at some bigger events, n maybe a launch tour or something
anyway, ive recenly met a young producer who hasnt been signed up yet, i say yet! tell you what, he's got some wicked tunes, bit dark, but they got me goin, you know?!
i will see if he wouldnt mind sending you some of his tracks ( he's currently finishing what i would say his best tune ) who knows, he might be what your lookin for????
on a different note, ive got a couple of people hookin me up with some promo's that WILL get played @ INSTINCT.
so if your lookin to get your records played ( at a not so big a level as the big events ) give us a quick demo sometime.
all the best!
Tim E D

instinct_dnb said:
ive kept well away from this topic so far but......
best of luck to you!
ive recently started "instinct dnb" started off just aiming to have a bangin dnb scene back in southampton, now im lookin at some bigger events, n maybe a launch tour or something
anyway, ive recenly met a young producer who hasnt been signed up yet, i say yet! tell you what, he's got some wicked tunes, bit dark, but they got me goin, you know?!
i will see if he wouldnt mind sending you some of his tracks ( he's currently finishing what i would say his best tune ) who knows, he might be what your lookin for????
on a different note, ive got a couple of people hookin me up with some promo's that WILL get played @ INSTINCT.
so if your lookin to get your records played ( at a not so big a level as the big events ) give us a quick demo sometime.
all the best!
Tim E D

-

Hey there Instinct. Congratulations, and I hope it's a success. The best way to alter a scene is to alter a scene :)

I'd be only too happy to send over demos (as and when they're produced) for some exposure at Instinct. As you say it's not as yet on a big level, the same goes for my label. It's still in the womb. I'd be thrilled to check out the demos you speak of mate, and likewise I'd probably be raring to have them released through SP. Thing is, most producers who are good enough to make good tunes want to get right in there from the get go. SP can't offer them a cash advance, nor can it offer them a wide-scale distribution. It can however get tunes coverage. I have a feel he'd be a bit reluctant to 'waste' his best tune on signing through a label like SP at this stage. But if he's the type who can produce tune after tune after tune, yes, it'd suggest sending some material in to us. If we want it, we'll get it pressed up, distributed to selected record shops, pumped out over the net, handed out to any superstar djs who wants them, and whatever else we can do. If he's interested in us, he should be comforted knowing that we're already interested in him.

Thanks for the tip bruvva. Would love to check these tunes out and hear what the fella has to say.

:respekt:

sinisterdj said:
- If we want it, we'll get it pressed up, distributed to selected record shops, pumped out over the net, handed out to any superstar djs who wants them, and whatever else we can do. :respekt:

if only it was that simple.......who are u gonna distrubute with?.....and what "supa star" djs are u gonna pass it onto?(im not being sarcastic,i wanna know".)

bad ace inc. said:
if only it was that simple.......who are u gonna distrubute with?.....and what "supa star" djs are u gonna pass it onto?(im not being sarcastic,i wanna know".)

This is the kind of information i was trying to get at in my last post....

"As a whole we're likely to shape up quite nicely within a few short years"

Have you done business plan inc. detailed financial forecast???

As i said earlier, forgive my skepticism i'm not having a go.... you can talk the talk for sure, but these days an artist has gotta know if his label boss can walk the walk aswell..... know what i mean?

Affliction said:
This is the kind of information i was trying to get at in my last post....

Have you done business plan inc. detailed financial forecast???

As i said earlier, forgive my skepticism i'm not having a go.... you can talk the talk for sure, but these days an artist has gotta know if his label boss can walk the walk aswell..... know what i mean?

-

Hey there ppl.

Yes, we have done all the relevant forcecasts, but of course we will be doing these again when we're closer to a launch.

The superstar djs... I'm not going to list them here as I will not risk losing their support by waffling on here IF nothing materialises. It certainly will, but it'd be a bad move splurting everything out on here and associating these artists with the label before it has even been officially launched. To clairfy though, we have been doing club events since January 2000, and over the time we have build close alliances with some major players (labels). We have also homed in on the various TOP artists who have played numerous events with us, and can when we're ready get in touch with them to discuss the prospects of working with SP. I do apologise though, I am not willing to give out the names of any artists or groups on a public discussion.

Pressing, Marketing and Distributing... you're correct, it's not as easy as it sounds by a long shot. It's certainly not difficult getting materials pressed and marketed. Distributing is a different matter altogether. The major players in this field are reluctant to signing up new and unknown labels for whatever valid concerns that they may have. We at this stage have not been in contact with any distro companies as we want to have material ready before taking this step. There are always distributers who'd be willing to take us on, but as far as possible we'd want to work with the biggest players straight away. If this doesn't happen, I suppose we'll have to start building up our credibility first of all in any way that we can, and then re-approach the better distributers later. Eventually I'd like to have SRD do our distro for us, but as you can imagine they're not likely to take on a new and unheard of label without some serious consideration. For those who don't know, SRD are one of the biggest distributors around. For these reasons I have stated that we'll be doing a lot of careful marketing and our own distribution before taking on major contracts with proper distro companies. Hope this clears things up.

What I will say is this. Those who are still, perhaps rightly, skeptical, should wait until we have produced our first potential releases. At that stage it will be a lot easier to convince you. In the mean time those who already gather that we are totally legit should send in some demo material for us to check out. It goes without saying that we recommend all songs are duly copyrighted before sending them in, and that they are sent through recorded delivery. This should give these artists a little more peace of mind that we're not simply going to plagerize their materials.

Last edited:
hmmm, no offence intended but record sales are dramatically lower than a say a year ago, and selling records nowadays is bloody hard, so perhaps the best way for you ,would be to produce material, get signed establish your name, and then when the time is right start a label. Mate things are hard and someone starting a label with no established artists, no distro deal is in my opinion.....suicide !, trust i dont want to sound completely negative but i wouldnt recommend what u want to do pal!, but big up for committing ur self to it if ya do :cool:

Hmm maybe there is way. One side well known producer and second some not known but very good :)

Thanks for the concern fella... can't really argue with the points you made. But there is always a way. And as we discover it (who says we haven't?) it's full steam ahead :)

My friend above makes an interesting note.. one side a well known bad boy, the other a less well known bad boy. It works with the right amount of pushing.

It's all risky when you pump silly amounts of money into it, but when you're careful about spending the limited doe you've got, you really don't have much to lose.

And besides.. I love a challenge! :boxing:

Back
Top Bottom