New Jump Up Synth Sounds???

Skumboy

Hey guys, new member here looking for some advice!

I've been looking through the web loads lately trying to find a starting point for jump up synths, but all i can find are your basic detuned saw waves etc. I'm looking to get a newer jump up sound, that squelchy grotty stabby sound. (hedex, natural error, jack the ripper, annix, etc). I'm not trying to rip off these sounds I'm just absolutely stumped on where to start, can anyone give me a few tips or places i could start? I currently use NI massive in ableton 9.

Thanks in advance!

If you need a jump off point I would suggest grabbing yourself some presets for Massive so you can reverse engineer them or simply use them as a starting point and then process them further to make them your own. I can hook you up with some if you'd like...

I'm only really familiar with massive at the moment and dont really have any idea on where to start with FM. only ever used subtractive and wavetable, any tips on where to start or is it just a case of twiddling nobs and finding some good sounds then resampling?

Haha man, I hear your struggle. It's great that you have Massive because that and Serum are shooins for making the modern sounds.

You want to pick the quirky wavetables, like needle or kanga. If the waves don't have there own sub then add a triangle or sine sub osc. Then play around with the FM on your table. Phase mod, ring mod and sometimes WT mod can get some gritty or hollow or harsh sounds you're used to hearing.

Modulate the wavetables, and also the Double Notch and/or BReject filters for some nice movement. Make sure you turn the resonance up to get it more classic and wobby.
For freakiness, try the comb filter. For oldschool wobs, use the Daft filter. Anything goes with modulation, it helps to know what you're doing.
You can use the shapers on the inserts to add that all important distortion, and muck around with the pitch shifter to get some wierd tones and crazy movement. Sample and hold lowers the sample rate, making that bitcrush sound if you're looking for that.

Tube and dimension expander are pretty much the go-to FX. I also highly recommend the flanger, chorus or phaser to give that nice space and depth to the sound.

Odds are it still needs processing though, so some more distortion and filtering is normal in the FX chain to top it off, EQ or whatever, it's all up to yiu really.

Yooooooooo cheers man this is exactly what i needed, just a start off point that i can build up on. Big ups man, really appreciate it!!!

Also ive heard loads about how you have to resample the sound and keep doing that to get even grottier sound but i havent really done much with the sampler, do you know of a video or anything that just shows how to do it in ableton? I know how to record the audio again its actually loading it into the sampler and spreading it across the midi keyboard again that im unsure of.
Once again, thanks man!

Yooooooooo cheers man this is exactly what i needed, just a start off point that i can build up on. Big ups man, really appreciate it!!!

Also ive heard loads about how you have to resample the sound and keep doing that to get even grottier sound but i havent really done much with the sampler, do you know of a video or anything that just shows how to do it in ableton? I know how to record the audio again its actually loading it into the sampler and spreading it across the midi keyboard again that im unsure of.
Once again, thanks man!
You dont have to do resample and keep doing that to get grottier sounds. It just helps.
Knowing what youre doing is a lot more important. You can search on youtube for how to use Sampler, or Simpler, in Ableton, and go from there.
There are also lots if youtube vids on rsampling, some are shit and some are decent. It usually goes along the lines of distortion, EQ, filter, distortion, bounce, Filter, distortion, EQ, bounce, etc. Or whatever really anything goes.

ill give you some more help if you need it. Try and make a sick as bass with massive, PM me the patch, and then Ill send you my efforts of resampling it abd Ill show you how I did everything, how does that sound?

Last edited:
You dont have to do resample and keep doing that to get grottier sounds. It just helps.
Knowing what youre doing is a lot more important. You can search on youtube for how to use Sampler, or Simpler, in Ableton, and go from there.
There are also lots if youtube vids on rsampling, some are shit and some are decent. It usually goes along the lines of distortion, EQ, filter, distortion, bounce, Filter, distortion, EQ, bounce, etc. Or whatever really anything goes.

ill give you some more help if you need it. Try and make a sick as bass with massive, PM me the patch, and then Ill send you my efforts of resampling it abd Ill show you how I did everything, how does that sound?

Yeah man that'd be sweet, appreciate it! I'll give you a message tomorrow/the day after

In Ableton you can just resample the audio into a track then drag the audio clip into Sampler or Simpler. It will automatically map it to pitch based on your midi key by default. If you want to get crazy and map different samples to different key ranges, there are ways to do that too, but it's not usually an issue when resampling.

If this doesn't make sense I can go into more detail step by step...

I sometimes just also mess with the sample in an audio track and change the warp mode and set different warp points, and then resample again. You can get some interesting artifacts this way.

I want to see everything Mania does with you patch too, though!

Sorry about the long wait guys, been a bit busy. Got 2 patches done now though, they arent the best but theyre still decent. Just wondering how I can upload them for you to see / resample?

In Ableton you can just resample the audio into a track then drag the audio clip into Sampler or Simpler. It will automatically map it to pitch based on your midi key by default. If you want to get crazy and map different samples to different key ranges, there are ways to do that too, but it's not usually an issue when resampling.

If this doesn't make sense I can go into more detail step by step...

I sometimes just also mess with the sample in an audio track and change the warp mode and set different warp points, and then resample again. You can get some interesting artifacts this way.

I want to see everything Mania does with you patch too, though!

In for results also.

You can do the same thing in FL just by placing a note in the piano roll with the sample selected in the step sequencer, but I think I've watched the video LegionDnB is referring to and it seems the parameters of the playback (de-clicking, attack, sus etc.) are really simple to edit in Ableton but FL not so much. Have I just not been looking in the right place? I've tried googling this one but for the life of me either can't find anything or don't have the correct terminology to find it.

To be honest this is something I've been trying to achieve for a while now and not doing very well at recreating
Yeah, its a really hard sound to get. I've only been using massive though, going to try and see if any of my pals have sylenth to give that a go, looks a lot more in depth and more creative seeing as you create your own waveforms etc, might get me a bit closer to it. It's just the grotty and squelchy sounds that are hardest to get, the cleaner stuff isnt so hard but when you're trying to get a nice reese sound or something like that tune ^ it just gets really complex

Yeah, its a really hard sound to get. I've only been using massive though, going to try and see if any of my pals have sylenth to give that a go, looks a lot more in depth and more creative seeing as you create your own waveforms etc, might get me a bit closer to it. It's just the grotty and squelchy sounds that are hardest to get, the cleaner stuff isnt so hard but when you're trying to get a nice reese sound or something like that tune ^ it just gets really complex

I use massive too and i wouldn't doubt its ability to make these sounds tbh. its so versatile. I've just bought Serum and you can create your own waveforms on that but i still gravitate towards massive. I reckon ill have one of those eureka moments when it just clicks and i get that sound that I'm after but I've got a feeling there's just as much to do with plug ins and processing than there is with the synth itself

Back
Top Bottom