New here and just looking for some feedback

Corinator

I haven't been producing for all that long and I wish I were further along than I am :lol: (probably what everone says hahahaha). I very rarely am able to finish any of my tracks. I just seem to run out of steam and creativity. That's why I'm looking for feedback from you guys. I just kind of make whatever I think sounds good and I have no idea what sub-genres these would fit into.

Thanks for listening and leaving feedback. Any criticism is welcome, positive or negative. You won't hurt my feelings trust me lol.

In all the clips there is a common mistake which is that the kicks and snares are being eaten by the synths. Do split the frequencies in order for each sound to give its own space in the track, therefore it sounds much cleaner. Synth-wise it is good :) obviously lower the volume for the kicks to be heard well. I really liked the idea of Leviathan. And also, bring in the subbass. Almost no bass can be heard. This can also be achieved with splitting frequencies and good Eqing. I hope I didn't sound extremely negative :)

In all the clips there is a common mistake which is that the kicks and snares are being eaten by the synths. Do split the frequencies in order for each sound to give its own space in the track, therefore it sounds much cleaner. Synth-wise it is good :) obviously lower the volume for the kicks to be heard well. I really liked the idea of Leviathan. And also, bring in the subbass. Almost no bass can be heard. This can also be achieved with splitting frequencies and good Eqing. I hope I didn't sound extremely negative :)

Not at all. All criticism is welcome. That is what I posted in here for. I know I need to clean it up. That is one thing I'm working very hard on. I also need to get better at basslines.

Not at all. All criticism is welcome. That is what I posted in here for. I know I need to clean it up. That is one thing I'm working very hard on. I also need to get better at basslines.

Learn/search about splitting frequencies in order to clean the track or any future tracks you will produce.

i think the ideas are cool, they are strong enough to hold a track

it takes time to produce a fairly good sounding tune (not 5 weeks or 5 months... i mean 5 years)

i was on the same spot about a year ago, trying to find out info, this helped me a lot : http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1211 . It's clear and well illustrated, if you get that you can basically apply the same principle to your snares and synths : each element has to have is own place without being overthrown by the other elements in your track. Then you can look up about sidechain compression, basically its a compression that will apply only when an element kick in (ie ; if you sidechain ur kick to your bass, the bass will be compressed only when the kick comes. anyway they are plenty of tutorials in youtube that can explain it better). With EQ and sidechain compression (i'll focus more on the EQing to start with, its really really a key thing to sound better), you will start to get your drums sounds nicer and crisper.

That, and samples selection, my best advice is to download a shit ton of drums samples, even house or hip hop ones, and try a lot. You'll be surprised of what you can get if you just overlay another kick or snare on top of the ones you got (of course, EQing the 2 kicks, ex : one has nice high frequencies, an other has a great low end, EQ the shit out of them so you get a kick with both of those qualities). So yeah try to get a lot of drum samples it's always nice.

About your sounds : its not bad but as said above the drums are getting drowned in the synths. I would recommend to really focus yourself on getting a nice classic dnb drum beat with all those hi hats, cymbales and stuff. You can throw a random bassline if your drum beat is gold then it will sound good. Just listen at some liquid tracks the musical elements are pretty simple sometimes, but they always have top notch drums. Musical elements in you're sounds are pretty cool, and you're definitely on the right track as you come to ask for help and are open to criticism, always a good thing. So yeah keep it up, as long as you enjoy doing that you should never stops even if early days can be frustrating sometimes....

Hope I helped, looking forward to hear more of your sounds in the future!

peace

^^^what fatkids said, but also remember sometimes mixing is as simple as the volume sliders. Your synths are way too loud and drown out just about everything else, it's hard to even tell what's underneath :)

As ideas, i really liked Chrome, sounds like a good track there. Leviathan is probably not for me, a bit too random for me. Stick at it and really read up and get obsessed like the rest of us and I'm sure you'll be producing some great stuff in time :)

i was on the same spot about a year ago, trying to find out info, this helped me a lot : http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1211 . It's clear and well illustrated, if you get that you can basically apply the same principle to your snares and synths : each element has to have is own place without being overthrown by the other elements in your track. Then you can look up about sidechain compression, basically its a compression that will apply only when an element kick in (ie ; if you sidechain ur kick to your bass, the bass will be compressed only when the kick comes. anyway they are plenty of tutorials in youtube that can explain it better). With EQ and sidechain compression (i'll focus more on the EQing to start with, its really really a key thing to sound better), you will start to get your drums sounds nicer and crisper.

That, and samples selection, my best advice is to download a shit ton of drums samples, even house or hip hop ones, and try a lot. You'll be surprised of what you can get if you just overlay another kick or snare on top of the ones you got (of course, EQing the 2 kicks, ex : one has nice high frequencies, an other has a great low end, EQ the shit out of them so you get a kick with both of those qualities). So yeah try to get a lot of drum samples it's always nice.

About your sounds : its not bad but as said above the drums are getting drowned in the synths. I would recommend to really focus yourself on getting a nice classic dnb drum beat with all those hi hats, cymbales and stuff. You can throw a random bassline if your drum beat is gold then it will sound good. Just listen at some liquid tracks the musical elements are pretty simple sometimes, but they always have top notch drums. Musical elements in you're sounds are pretty cool, and you're definitely on the right track as you come to ask for help and are open to criticism, always a good thing. So yeah keep it up, as long as you enjoy doing that you should never stops even if early days can be frustrating sometimes....

Hope I helped, looking forward to hear more of your sounds in the future!

peace

This is what I was looking for. Excellent input and I thank you. I'm going to look into that tutorial you linked. I think I overly concentrate on the synths and not enough so on bass and drum breaks. I've been accumulating a lot of sample packs and have a pretty decent library of them built up. I feel like I've been stagnating because I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of or critique things. This is where this section of the forum is awesome and I love it already.

^^^what fatkids said, but also remember sometimes mixing is as simple as the volume sliders. Your synths are way too loud and drown out just about everything else, it's hard to even tell what's underneath :)

As ideas, i really liked Chrome, sounds like a good track there. Leviathan is probably not for me, a bit too random for me. Stick at it and really read up and get obsessed like the rest of us and I'm sure you'll be producing some great stuff in time :)

I know I focus too strongly on the synths haha. I just get a little obsessive over it. Leviathan started off as an attempt to make something similar to Camo & Krooked's "Run Riot". I appreciate all the feedback. I'm really trying to work on my EQing.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read that tutorial and it is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom